The Road Ahead

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all a bunch of friggin' firebugs!

Michael

Yep... and while we're at it, I forgot to mention the light AA guns as well. That's a classic case of an extremely common and effective (in the anti-personnel role) weapon that's sorely missing from the OOB. Their inclusion would go some way towards countering the proliferation of 50cal. halftracks that the Allies enjoy.

Regards

KR

I'm just hoping and praying that the 'something special' includes fire as well as new terrain. By that time of the year Wasps were most certainly available and not all that uncommon while Crocodiles were around from the get go. Not to mention the German flamethrower halftracks and portable flamethrower back packs as well.

Regards

KR

To include fire, they'll need a new game engine. The Market Garden module will require CMx2 v2.0, which doesn't support fire. Maybe fire will be supported in a future version of the CMx2 engine, like v3.0, or 4.0, or whatever - but in the meantime, it can't auto-magically appear in a module...

The Market Garden module will require CMx2 v2.0, which doesn't support fire. Maybe fire will be supported in a future version of the CMx2 engine, like v3.0, or 4.0, or whatever - but in the meantime, it can't auto-magically appear in a module...

I think we are all fully aware of this, but this awareness of its unavalablity will still not stop us twatting on about it.

I suppose if it wasn't Friday and I was my usual twisted bitter self it would go something like.....

"The Market Garden module will require CMx2 v2.0, which doesn't support fire. Maybe fire will be supported in a future version of the CMx2 engine, like v3.0, or 4.0, or whatever - but in the meantime, it can't auto-magically appear in a module..."

And your point is????

;)

I am curious about the terrain and how the various seasons will be handled. Now we have BN which is in summer, we will have MG which will be one season and finally bulge which I think will cover one season.

I'm curious about how terrain fits into the new development/release model too. A simple example is that Normandy down by Falaise produces a lot of Sunflowers, yet there's no sunflower field (which could, when mature in July/August provide shorter AFVs with a similar level of concealment to that afforded to infantry in a cornfield). Is there any prospect of the BN terrain selection being extended any? Would that come in a pack or a module (though MG seems an unlikely candidate, focusing as it will on the north east)? Or would it need to be included in the BN v2.0 upgrade?

Terrain introduced in a Module will act similar to units in terms of cross-Family compatibility. Put a British vehicle into a scenario and that scenario can only be used by someone with the Commonwealth Module. If you make a map with a new type of terrain, say a Dutch Hash Bar (I kid because I can :)), that means the scenario can only be used by people with the Market Garden Module.

By and large we do not want Modules to be about new terrain. The vast majority of terrain should always be in the Base Game. Really, the only significant reason for new terrain in a Module is if it focuses on a totally new geographical area within the Family's scope of operations. This will happen from time to time, but definitely won't be the norm.

New terrain in Modules should be limited to those things which give flavor to that specific geographical area. For example, the first Module for Fortress Italy will be set in the Italian mainland, which has different terrain features than Sicily. Since the initial game doesn't cover combat on the mainland, there's no reason to have such terrain built into the Base Game. But when someone buys the Module he should, reasonably, expect the look and feel of the scenarios to reflect the mainland and not Sicily.

Make sense?

Upgrades only provide new game features, never game content. Terrain is game content. Which means the Normandy Upgrade 2.0 will not include new terrain.

Steve

I'm still curious how the Market-Garden Module would work for someone without the Commonwealth Module (which I do have). Would they be able to play maybe the 1st Airbourne as far as British forces go and that's it?

We'll let you know the details when we have everything nailed down solid. As you know, we don't like to under/over promise specifics.

Generally speaking, though, existing TO&E from either the Base Game and/or the Commonwealth Module, which is valid for September timeframe, will be available for Arnhem battles. If you own Arnhem and not Commonwealth, your Commonwealth and Waffen SS force selections will be somewhat limited.

One thing I can say is Arnhem will include German Fallschirmjäger. They can be used in the June through September timeframe, not just September. Which means all sorts of early D-Day battles can be recreated that haven't been possible up to now.

Steve

One thing I can say is Arnhem will include German Fallschirmjäger. They can be used in the June through September timeframe, not just September. Which means all sorts of early D-Day battles can be recreated that haven't been possible up to now.

Steve

Oh yeah baby, back to Normandy with the 6 FJR. When is that due out? Tomorrow? Tomorrow would be good.

He might be a slow packer!

Lived in Germany for 3.5 years with the USAF.

There is a Reason the Germans have started

so many Wars in an attempt to get the Hell

out of there. Sun goes down in September

not be seen for 6 months. Cant imagine how

much fun it is in Russia.....

Was hinting at a possible winter release was all..

Lived in Germany for 3.5 years with the USAF.

There is a Reason the Germans have started

so many Wars in an attempt to get the Hell

out of there. Sun goes down in September

not be seen for 6 months. Cant imagine how

much fun it is in Russia.....

Hmm, you must have been in Narvik while it was german...

;)