How will Combat Mission evolve !

To post or not to be ! Okay, here goes ...

What are the visions you have with regard to the future of Combat Mission. In lengthy discussions we have clarified the principles behind the game engine, and - since it is all well thought through - it does not leave too much to improve (within the scope of the game). It just seems to be very good as it already is.

So, how will you enhance Combat Mission ?

<ul>

[*]By adding new hardware and scenarios (e. g. Eastern Front).

[*]By adding new gameplay elements (river crossing in boats).

[*]By improving the graphics.

[*]By changing the engine (can it be made better ?)

Or will you go in a completely different direction ?

We all (?) have seen what became of Close Combat and therefore I would like to know if you still have any dreams regarding the future of CM and what they look like !

Thanks a lot, Thomm

P.S.:Yeah, I know it is an irrelevant post, but it is Vodka-induced, okay ?!

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Thomm,

Well, we are glad you think we have crammed everything in that is possible, but you should see the list of things that we would LIKE to do but can't for one reason or another smile.gif The engine itself can be improved as nothing is perfect. We are sure that new gameplay elements will be added. It's a little too early to tell what though.

The next version (Eastern Front) will feel like a totally different game, even if we changed nothing gameplay wise. The nature of combat, the scope of possible terrain, the wider variety of vehicles (4 years of war...), different national doctrins, etc. all make for a totally unique experience.

But do not fear, we will make many improvements anyways smile.gif Graphical improvements are but one of the things on our list. We will probably increase the min requirements for VRAM, allowing more textures. Hopefully we will also be able to bump up the polygon count for lots of things, but particullarly the figures. Then there are other things we would might be able to add, like translucent smoke. Dunno, but we are going to make improvements where we can.

BTW, River assaults are already in CM now. However, they aren't as detailed as we would like so this is one area we would like to improve in the next version. There are probably other areas that we will be able to improve as well (can't think of any off the top of my head though).

Steve

Looking way into the future now.....

When you do the Early years of the Western Front "module" (proposed fourth in the series I believe) do you think it might be possible to incorporate it into a '39-'45 module that would include all the advancements in the preceding modules. Thereby giving new life to the '44-'45 era.

Lots of water under the bridge before that happens I realize, but it seems like a good place to debut "Combat Mission II-The Next Go Around"

This discussion brings up a question that has been rattling around in my little pea brain. I realize that CM's focus is 44-45 western Europe. However, I havn't heard of any proposed scenarios that will ship w/ the game that will cover the same time period for the Italian theater of op's. How well will the CM troop, equipment, and vehicles provided in the game represent those used in Italy during the same time period? I can't imagine that there is much difference. A sherman tank is a sherman tank after all. If anything the main differences I think would be in terrain features that might be unique to Italy. And given the highly flexible nature of the CM engine and map building editor I can't think that this will be a problem. Am I missing something, or shouldn't CM be equally viable for modeling actions in Italy between Anglo-American and German combatants during the same time period?

Mike D.

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Scott, yes weather effects are very much in the game. I was just playing in "Snow" and had a Jagdpanther get stuck wink.gif Don't even want to think about playing in "Deep Snow"!

Italian theater is not covered in CM's scope. That will be for the planned 3rd version. You could possibly slap something together in CM, but it would be very limited IMHO what you could accomplish. There are no terrain types to simulate the bulk of Italy (dry, arid, very rocky, etc.) and we aren't simulating Med. weather either. So technically since the forces in Italy were roughly the same as in NW Europe, there is cross over potential. We think it would be better for scenario designers to concentrate on making stuff for the intended theater. Plenty of battles to cover!

We hope to back date improvements from future releases into previous ones, but this is not something we can say will happen at this point.

Steve

Guest Scott Clinton

What about FALLING snow, Rain, Fog?

New ammo types...

Just trying to find more stuff for you guys to code :)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What about FALLING snow, Rain, Fog?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to all.

Charles

Guest Lokesa

Will there be solid and patchy effects? What I mean is can we have patchy fog where some areas especially lower regions of the map have dense fog and other areas light to no fog? can we have differing rain density as well? Having fog flow would be really cool.

Guest Big Time Software

No to different weather. We talked about this a while ago (while you were on vacation smile.gif) and explained in detail. Basic reason is that we would have to do all sorts of atmospheric modeling that is WAY too much work to do. Entire programs are devoted to doing weather, running on SGI machines, so we would be fools to think that we could just do up something quickly wink.gif

Most weather would be the same for such a small area anyways. Fog is about the only thing that would be "patchy". Snow to some extent because of drifts, but that isn't really something we can simulate either.

Steve

Guest Lokesa

Bummer frown.gif

How about the fog up to certain elevations only idea? does that fall in with the rest of the atmospheric problem stuff or is it feasible?