AAR 1939 - Testing China

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This turn I take the Chinese Capital. No surrender, but if I hold it, surrender should come soon. China looked pretty good a couple of turns ago, I imagine they are as suprzed as I am.

In Egypt, things are a mess, my second panzer is cut off, my second HQ is attacked and loses 5 strength. I still can't get through the fort to the west, and I will most likely lose another tank.

In russia, slow advance, minsk and kiev fall.

@Sabot6 Not sure if it is worth it, but I do give the russians something to think about, enemies behind the lines, stuff like that. The oil will cost him a few MPP's, but now that I see it triggered the ural build up, that was a bad idea. If he diverts units to kill the paratroopers, he will suffer elsewhere. If he allows them to stay the one in Vorseth will be a ready made city with full supply when the rest of the army (hopefully) arrives. Plus, Goering promises to airlift supplies ;)

Note: it was a gamble as well, if he had units there, it would have been a mess.

This is hard, I can’t kill that tank in Egypt yet.

The Russians will give up ground, lots of it. The paras in Russia are a dilemma… I may just let them sit.

China looked good, but there were just too many Japanese units – do they have more infantry than the Germans?

The Americans are building a big, tech heavy navy and air force – they will get into the fight fast.

Aug 41

China still holds on. Japan begins plans for a secret attack on Pearl ;)

Finally bust open the fort and link up with my tank in Egypt. I had to amphib with an Italian army to flank the fort, but it worked. I may now be able to salvage the med. theatre, though it has been costly and time consuming.

In Russia, I take the 2 mines west of Rostov, so now at least I feel a little better about the urals having cranked up. I only now have 5 cities in Russia.

For the second turn in a row, my U-boat by south Africa blunders into a DD. His time is just about up.

Screen shot of situation in Egypt.

post-19303-141867624041_thumb.jpg

Oct 41. China finally surrenders! Not sure pre patch, but I think China lasted 6 months or so longer. I still think this needs tweaking. The Chinese played pretty good, but the Japanese can just throw army after army into the battle. I think the Japanese military is just too big. I took China without building any air or tanks for the effort.

The battle continues in Egypt. Stupid me, I did not block the suez and an army and HQ got away :( The British Navy finally shows up off Malta. I'm guessing the plan is to trap my axis in africa now. I may have to get home via Turkey :)

Japan declares war on USA. I could have used a turn or 2 more to prepare, but events made it best in my opinion to go now. All ships in pearl destroyed, Philippines, dutch indies, Brunei, hong kong, wake, guam, midway all fall. Sinagapore is strong, will take a major effort to take it out.

As you can see, the big effort in China still left plenty of units for my first turn assault in the pacific, which is one of the points defenders of the current system tend to bring up. So you DON'T have to choose between China or other areas, you can get both.

In Russia, I crawl forward, no units to exploit the empty terrain.

Oct 41 (late) I lose another tank in suez. What a mess. British are strong, I don't think I will be getting any further. I take Smolesk in Russia, still low on units.

Japanese take Timor and Portugal joins???? Have not seen that before! Japanese also land in Hawaii, take Honolulu, but I doubt I can keep it long.

Even though the Chinese have surrendered, I have at least 2 Chinese corps and 2 air that seemed to have survived, something else I have never seen before...

Portugal’s war entry was a surprise; the script must be written so there is a slight chance that when Timor is annexed, Portugal declares war; might be we just hit the odds.

The Chinese units are Free-Chinese units; scripts make any Chinese unit outside of China when China surrenders UK controled (might be better to make them USA controlled). I saw that Chungking was about to fall, so I tried to move as many of my units into Indochina and carry out the war from there.

The Brits will continue to reinforce Middle East. The fall of the Suez means we must take it back. The RN is waiting in the Western Med, got to be careful of German airpower.

Singapore will also be reinforced – dicer issue as the RN is not too strong in the Indian Ocean.

The fight for Hawaii is on.

The Soviets feel very comfortable sitting back, building the Red Army, and trading space for time.

Hi SeaMonkey; I agree with david12345, the improvements made with this patch are good. But, the number of Japanese units deployed into China between 1939 and 1940 prevented the Chinese from surviving. If it is “right” to change what we have now to bolstering Chinese survivability we should look at some options to recommend to Hubert.

Advance stops in russia, snow has arrived. Brit fleet in the med has gond MIA, maybe they went after the subs I sent to the Atlantic when I saw them mass by Malta, not sure. I lose an Italian army in Egypt, but he was only covering so I could do some upgrading on the german units. At any rate, my advances there seem to be history.

In pacific, I continue to expand. Singapore loses a corps, and I land troops in (I think) guadacanal. In China, still mopping up the "free Chinese" and moving my victorious troops to the jumping points for their next adventure.

Russian winter strikes. My weary Germans spend the turn fixing. I get one DD in the Atlantic that sunk a sub with a German BB and Cruiser, hopefully, he does not have the units nearby to make me pay.

My raiders in the artic are jumped and run for their lives.

The allied convoy lines are just about secure now.

In Pacific, I take the Solomans, one city in Australia (which makes the home guard form). The last of the free chinese are finally gone. Japan still relocating all the units from taking China...

The Germans make the first move in Egypt, but there is only a timid UK response.

The RN reappears, not timidly sinks a German BB.

Sevastopol is relieved, while the rest of the Red Army enjoys the calm (Phony War of the East?)

American carriers start the counter attack in Hawaii.

Singapore holds on.

Little is available to send to Australia’s aid. In fact, little is available in the entire Pacific.

Sorry to see the last Chinese units go.

According to some of my reference materials, at the beginning of Dec. 1941, Japan had 8 armies in China, composed of approx. 22 divisions + 20 brigade size attachments. So if you do the math, that's about 3 divisions per army, a little more than a corps in comparison to other major countries. The 11th Army was by far the strongest with 6 divisions and a couple of brigade attachments.

The TO&Es for type "A" and "B" divisions were similar, one with 20k officers & men, the "B" with 24.6k o&m. Motor transport was very scarce, "B" with 50 half ton trucks, 250 quarter ton carts, 7 arm. cars and 8000 horses. The "A" type with only 7 armored cars or tankettes, 240 horses and 200 carts. The thought of fully motorized Japanese armies is ludicrous!

I should have known I could not get away with a BB roaming the Atlantic, Bismarck is no more.

In Russia, still no movement, trying to get supply so I can fix from winter. In Egypt, I get a corps, reinforcements arriving taking advantage of the RN chasing the Bismarck.

Japan moves closer in Singapore, getting an army. Singapore city is reduced to 0 strength. A stealth amphib runs straight into a Cruiser in the indian ocean with predictable results.

march: Still snowing in russia. Germans reduce rostov and inch towards a heavily defended moscow. 2 cruisers and 2 subs lost in atlantic and north sea with nothing to show for it.

Germans also arrive outskirts of Cairo. Reinforcements beginning to arrive.

Singapore and Ragoon fall to the Japanese. Japanese unit in Hawaii is lost.

April: still snowing in russia. I begin the diffcult assault on Moscow. I reduce one forts entrenchement, get a corps, and move an armor next to the capital. german bombers can't wait for the weather to clear.

German navy burning, another sub goes down. RN total control.

In egypt, i manage to kill a tank, but no end is in sight.

Japan can no longer put up with russian disrespect and declares war, taking a couple of cities i can't spell. the slow march towards india continues. Not sure if i want to commit the troops it would take to occupy india with the russian campaign just getting under way...

Russia attacked – an overextension while Japanese Armies are in both South Asia and Australia, maybe not; need to see. The Japanese are very strong and China is out of the war.

American’s begins their assault across the Pacific with an attack on Midway – USN starting to feel good.

The Russians are ready, this is what they want – an attack on prepared positions. Advanced tanks, air force ready, lesser forces in the south ready to hamper German lines of communications.

British counter-attack in Egypt destroyed an Italian tank… are the Italians in Africa at all? USAAF makes an appearance and its impact is felt.

US reinforcements start to leaving the continental United States for Europe and points west in the Pacific. The USAAF is larger, technology is good.

Germans determine to give the russians what they want :) One fort in front of moscow eliminated, unit in moscow destroyed, moscow not occupied yet, looks too dangerous.

Japan continues to advance in russia, taking Vlad. and 2 other cities. Hopefully, russians will be forced to defend the east, leaving less units to defend european russia.

reinforcing and upgrading in egypt.

Russia: waves of Red Army infantry and tanks crash against the German spearheads, 2 panzers, an infantry go down, two more German units surrounded, and breakthrough units are taking bites out of German air force units. But, costly, one unit sacrificed itself, two others very weak. Reinforcements move up to Moscow. In the south another German unit destroyed, German lines of communications look weaker than I expected – did they throw everything at Moscow?

As in the west, in the east the Soviets are happy to give up ground.

The British counter-attack continues to press forward – USAAF is a significant factor.

My investment in intelligence is starting to pay off – two Japanese amphibious revealed and attacked, one destroyed; the other may not escape. A third was torpedoed but is in good condition.

Working to reduce Midway – I lost track of the main IJN force. That could be bad.

Nice counter attacks, Carverrt.

I decide to press everywhere, as time is not on my side.

In Egypt, the Germans throw everything they have at the armor in Cairo. I'm just a bit suprized when I manage to take the city. Interesting to see if the allies pull back or try to salvage the situation.

Around Moscow, I attack, get a couple of tanks and an air unit, occupy the city. Moscow still has considerable communist forces in the area, won't be suprized if it falls to the russians on their turn. Between the Russians and Germans, some 5 tank units have been destroyed in the last couple of turns.

The RN that jumped my amphib off the coast of india pay a price, a cruiser and battleship go down. Rain keeps me from completly wiping out the allied surface units here. Not sure if the Brits have the units to continue the fight or not, time will tell.

Americans continue to pound Midway, nothing I can do at the moment, but at least I know where much of the US fleet is hanging out.

july 42.

Battle around Moscow still rages, heavy losses on both sides. I hold moscow for the moment.

Units move in on Stalingrad, the Japanese take another city. Progress is slow but determined.

In Egypt, the battle continues, this is quite a drain, i send another army to help.

Rain off Indian coast keeps me from chasing retreating units, Midway still getting pounded.

Midway falls. Russians advancing in the Ukraine. Egypt stable, but still taking up considerable resources.

Will the rain in India ever stop? My Japanese advance is now a crawl both in India and Russia.

Russians refuse to give up ground around Mocow, reinforcements arriving, but dying as soon as they get there. I chance a paradrop, maybe Arkangel is open, no luck, now my para is trapped.

If my Japanese can't drain more Russian troops, the Germans will be in trouble. Trying to send help, but it takes forever to get Japanese troops into Russia.

November. I knew the allies, having gotten portugal for free, would soon take spain. now they have. continued pressure in egypt, complete control of the atlantic, and a stiff russian defense are spelling doom for the germans.

the japanese, with no chinese and lots of money (making over 550 a turn) continue to slowly expand. I have taken the russian alternate capital to the east, only sovermersk (or however you spell it) remains. months (literally) of straight rain in india continue to hamper my advance there.

i think this tread strongly supports that the chinese problem still exists in SC Global.

March still snowing in russia, Leningrad has withstood perhaps 50 attacks and still stands strong. Germans on the defensive everywhere. Russia did a great job of spawning a bunch of armies and cutting off a couple of tanks. Nice job there.

Japan slowly moves west in India as the rain lets up. Australia appears to have a strong defense. Wondering where the american fleet will turn up next.