Im thinking I might try modding buildings

Hi everyone

Im thinking of trying my hand at modding buildings but I have no Idea where to start.

1/ What programs to use?

2/ How hard is it?

I know its going to take awhile to learn/teach myself but Im very interested in how. Any Ideas.

Cheers

Photoshop would be the best bet for the program to use. If that's not an option, there are some pretty powerful free programs out there. Being able to work with layers is a must IMO.

If I was just starting to mod, buildings probably wouldn't be my first choice. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, but these buildings have been a lot harder for me to do than the ones in CMx1. I haven't tried modding anything else in this game, so everything might be tougher as far as I know.

The size and position of all the windows and doors are locked into place, that limits some of the creativity I would have liked. Lots of textures are flipped, stretched, compressed and misaligned, which adds to the challenge.

For the most part, it comes down to what your goal is. If it's just swapping out some walls, and leaving the rest intact, that wouldn't be very hard. If it's basically replacing everything, like I'm doing, that's another story.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice guys.

What I will be hoping to achieve is just basic stuff at first. As a complete novice at Photoshop which Im going to get in the comming weeks, Im hoping to just start out with a few walls etc.

It may take months but Im going to give it a try.

Then again I could just wait and someone else will get it done well before I ever will.

Ask yourself if you really need Photoshop. Gimp is free, and does nearly everything Photoshop does, especially for gamers' modding purposes. Plus, it has a huge user community so there's a tutorial or forum discussion for almost any aspect or problem. And a large base of user-made plugins that achieve special effects.

Meanwhile, wasn't someone already working on "the ultimate building mod set"?

Tanks A Lot is definitely your man there! He's been going at all the independent buildings for, ooh, must be almost a full year now, I think. And pretty much non-stop, too. Talk about dedication! But he's getting there.

And it'll be well worth the wait, I can tell you!