New Sherman Bug??

Something weird enough finally happened for me to give up my lurker status. I was playing Reisberg as the Americans last night (Germans surrendered on Turn 27!), and one of my Shermans was blasted by an 88. The shell hit the gun (message was something like - "Gun hit - no serious damage") consequently knocking the main gun out of action with no injuries to the crew. Two other Shermans then took out the 88. My question is this: Is it a bug that for the rest of the game, neither the bow mg nor the roof mounted AAMG were fired at all, despite being able to keep the Sherman unbuttoned for the majority of the battle? There was plenty of ammo, there was great vision, and plenty of targets. I basically had to use the Sherman as a moving armored observation post. Has anyone else had this happen?

Outstanding game BTS....

I doubt it's a bug. I'll test it myself but when you get to know Charles you'll learn never to discount all manner of cool correlations being put in code....

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn,

Please try and check it. I could understand the blast taking out the coax MG, but it is hard to believe that the blast could then take out both the roof mount and the bow gun as well. Anyway, I preordered long ago, and am trying my damnedist to convince the wife that this game needs a new computer with 21" monitor and subwoofers to play on. It seems to be working.....

CrapGame

Well, I'll keep an eye out for it when my tank main gun is damaged but main gun damage is a rare occurence so it'll be a while before I notice anything conclusive.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

The same thing happened to one of my StuGs last friday. A bazooka (at least I think it was a bazooka) knocked its main gun out. I then moved it next to a nearly-dead American squad (only two men left), unbuttoned, and targetted the squad for three turns in a row without and the thing didn't fire a single MG round.

And no, I didn't save the autosaves :-(

- Tommi

Well in that case I guess this must be in the code...

I definitely support it for co-axial and bow weapons and I figure that the top gun must just be junked too.

Any hit which screws up the main gun would send shrapnel everywhere outside the tank and an outside MG is a very vulnerable item.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Well, I thought it might be in the code. I do agree with the damage probably being sever enough to take out the coax. But, I can't figure out how it could have been severe enough to damage the bow gun without taking out the unbuttoned driver and/or commander of my Sherman... It is certainly not impossible...

What an incredible game. I love the sound of the tankers opening their belly hatch to bail out. Every day I see something else that makes me say "Damn, I never thought of that".

CrapGame

Guest Big Time Software

We're looking into it. If the main gun is damaged the coax is assumed to be KO'd as well. However, the BOW and roof MGs *should* be OK.

Steve

Guest Scott Clinton

If the tank lost a crewman they would have to stay buttoned up for the rest of the game and thus they would also lose the use of the top mg.

....oooops unless it is a remote mount. smile.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 11-08-99).]

Happened to me too. Tiger had the main gun damaged but no casualties. I gave it orders to target some infantry a few turns later, but it just sat there doing nothing for two or three turns.

Finally I decided to have it try charging the infantry to see if that would cause it to fire. Unfortunately a Hellkitty popped it in the side before it got there...

Ian