Modules disappeared from system

It may be something to do with recent security (probably AVG) upgrade, but afterwards, only my CMSF v1.31 is available.

The scenarios and saved games from all the 3 modules are still there altho' are greyed out in the scenario list.

What to do? Is there a way to recover the modules without reinstalling?

If I do have to reinstall the modules, can I do it starting with v1.31 CMSF base game?

Or, should I unilnstall everything and reinstall from the start?

Thanks...

This sounds like it may be an AVG issue as you guessed. I assume that it is possible that AVG has quarantined the module executable files ('CMSF Marines Module.exe', etc.). You may want to look through AVG's 'Virus Vault' and see if the files are there and restore them if they are. You'll then need to add exceptions for Resident Shield (Tools > Advanced settings > Anti-virus > Resident Shield > Exceptions).

Yes, the files were in the Virus Vault and I "Restored" them. (So now, no items are in the Virus Vault.) But, when I restarted the game the modules still don't show up.

I found the modules .exe's under Modules and added them as exceptions. But when I restart the game they still don't show up. And AVG still gives me virus alerts for one or two files.

BTW: I see I have two .exe files in the main game folder: The one dated 11/24/2010 is "CMSF v1.31.exe", and the other is "CM Shock Force.exe" dated 5/29/2012 (today). Am I supposed to be using the latter?

Will try and reboot machine.

If AVG (falsely) reports viruses (in fact, it's reporting a "heuristic" scan, which means that it doesn't know what it is... I wish they would finally make this more transparent to users!) then the files in question are not correctly set as exceptions.

You could whitelist the entire directory, too.

I put the base and the three modules plus the mysterious extra .exe file as exceptions and rebooted. So, when I restart the game now, there are no alerts and the game seems to start ok, but the modules seem to be still missing, (their scenarios greyed out).

What is that extra "CM Shock Force.exe" file? Should I delete it?

What next?

'CM Shock Force.exe' is typically your main executable. 'CMSF v1.31.exe' is either the patch renamed (it isn't originally named this) or it is the main game executable also renamed (v. 1.31 ?).

If the module executable files are where they belong, then as long as the game is using an executable that supports those modules, you should be able to access that content. You can tell if the main game executable is the correct version by the icons that load up on the lower left corner of the main menu. If you have all of the applicable icons there, then the executable is the correct version. If you do not, then you may want to download the 1.32 patch (or 1.31) and reapply it and make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have installed.

Do you have more than one install of CMSF ?

1) I reinstalled CMSF some years ago into a C:\SIMS\Battlefront folder as it seemed there were problems when in the default Programs (x86) folder. AFAIK the old install was completely deleted and there are no other versions running.

2) I tried running v1.32 Patch Setup. It seemed to work. but when I chose the RUN GAME option I received error message: "Unable to execute. CreateProcess failed Code 2. System cannot find file specified"

3) I looked in the main game folder and tried the CMSF v1.31.exe - this started the game but as before without the modules.

4) I then tried CM Shock Force.exe and that started the v1.32 game with all modules present(!!) (At least all the scenarios and saves are "lit up" and I could start a NATO scenario ok.) Yea!

So VERY happy I don't have to do a reinstall. (Although I still have to do that with my new laptop - so stand by...)

Question: Can I delete the CMSF v1.31.exe? Or is that needed for older saved games?

Also, should other .exe files be kept in a completely different folder (as I save them for safety).

1.31 isn't necessary for any older games that I'm aware of, unless you're in the middle of PBEM with someone and you started it under 1.31 and want to finish it under 1.31.

For patches and installers I highly suggest putting them in a separate folder outside of your installed copy of CMSF (preventing confusion on your part for one thing). If you have different versions of the main game executable, then putting them in another folder will make them not work (if you attempt to launch them) until you move them back to the main CMSF folder.

Yes, I have a separate folder called "CMSF AIDS" and all patches, installers, old executables and misc files go in there. Not sure why I even keep em. But, it always seems like once you get rid of something, suddenly you need it.

I hope I don't end up a hoarder barely able to get into my own house for all the stuff "saved".

Next week I'll do a full install into my laptop. Am stocking up on tranquilizers.