Just curious what map mode people are playing in

Guest PeterNZ

well dunno what you mean quite.

i generally spend most time in views 4 and 3

sometimes down to 2 if i want to watch grenades, or zooks or something nice and close and pretty.

I pretty much have them at realistic or +1 size because i run the game with bases on (alt+B) in order to be able to quickly spot everything at any distance.

Trees are most often 'off' for me

that's about it

PeterNZ

Start a turn for planning up at 7. Determine and plot gross movement.

For each group, Tab+1 to get on their shoulder, then "walk" the turn looking for LOS, holes, etc.

Back to 7.

Pick who I think is going into the hottest area, Tab+1, Go! along for the ride.

Back to 7.

Watch it all with God's view. Hot areas, units unexpectedly hammered, etc. get another review from ground level or close to it.

Go back to top of post.

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 11-08-99).]

Peter and Herr Oberst. Thanks, thats exactly what I'm after. I'm trying to figure out how people are playing the game and why in order to maximize information.

I haven't settled on anything yet other than trying to avoid modes 1 through 4. I suspect I might find them more useful if I was able to superimpose a 2d map on top of mode 3 or 4. Not sure though.

Thanks again.

Tom

I usually take an overview with view 7, then settle down with view 3 for most of the planning phase. I will occasionally use 1 or 2 when I am concentrating on one or two units. Of course, I like Tab+1 to get the view from the Tiger...

Overall, I have found view 3 to be the most useful for me.

I mainly use view 4 for planning and playback, and occassionally use view 3.

View 1 is fun for watching tank-tank and tank-AT gun duels. smile.gif

View 2 gets use occasionally for playbacks of some of the more involved infantry actions.

For long LOS checks I use 7 or 8.

I prefer bases off and units at +1. Trees tend to go off for planning, and on for playback.

Cam 4 for most plotting, but I also use Cam 1 to get good looks at the lay of the land (or cam 2 if I want a little less obstructed view). Cam 5 for precise positiong in a house, on the edge of a woods-line, etc. I leave trees on to one degree or another, since it's easier to see the 3D trees than the collored areas. +2 unit scale.

Cams 3 and 4 for replays, but often I prefer cam 3 looking at a particular sector of interest, since it's easier to make out the details. This usually means running the replay more than once to check different areas. I also almost always run the turn through once in cam 8, with scale at +3, just to see if I missed any new enemy sightings.

And of course, I usually run through a few times with cam 1 or 2 for the cool perspective. <g>

Mark

Cam 1 (trench-cam) is great in playback for the 'coolness' effect and good for finetuning movement orders and eyeballing LOS from various points on the map.

Cam 4 (jabo cam) is great for plotting a section of the battlefield and getting a good 3D view.

2 & 3 get used occasionally for close-up work and where trench-cam doesn't work because of intervening things like walls or trees.

view 7 (Goodyear-cam) is a great overview level and encompasses most if the smaller maps.

Sometimes I'll use an oddball view like level 5 zoomed in x4. Playing Riesberg, I've had several instances to use this. Scanning houses with my tanks to check precisely where they could spot to and targeting the best spot for area fire. Also used it to put area fire close to the 88 in town. It was *just* out of LOS and I used the close in level 5 zoom to inch the target line to within 3 meters of the 88.

By the time the full game is released, I hope we will all be old hats at using the various views, zooms, and unit sizes to their best advantage.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 11-09-99).]

I use 7 or 8 to plot artillery and check LOS. I use camera 5 to make sure I get my troops in the right position. i.e behind the wall, not on it smile.gif Then I wander down to 1 or 2 to check for undulations and good ambush sites. I use 3 or 4 to watch the action unfold first time, then 1 if something interesting happens. But when my Tiger gets going, I just cant help but tag along for the ride smile.gif

I rarely use anything above view 3. I think the thing that differentiates this game from most others is that the 3-d nature of the terrain is integral to the strategy. When you put the camera on a hill with trees turned on etc. and look around, even without the LOS tool, you really get get a good sense of your lanes of fire and the superior positions pop right out. You really can't get this information as well from a 2-d view. I also think that using the low views puts you more in the frame of mind of a commander in the field. I takes a bit of effort to make the move from 2-d thinking, but I recommend trying a game where you never take the camera above 3 or occasionally 4. One note: I am playing on a fast mac, so my camera pans very quickly. This may have some influence on my choice of views...

Guest L Tankersley

I spend 95%+ of my time in views 3 & 4. This may be because I'm used to that sort of view because of my Myth playing experience; I'm not sure. I don't really like the overhead views that much, and don't think I've ever actually used them for anything significant. I use views 1 & 2 for getting a unit's-eye-view of an engagement and for judging LOS.

The aboves goes both for plotting and watching the movies.

Leland J. Tankersley