Use of Jeeps

Exploiting a player's misunderstanding of the (lack of) need to "Hide" pTruppen in most cases and the defecit in spotting ability associated with hiding troops, along with the 1 minute "reaction window" of WeGo would shove it into "gamey".

I'm not sure there is any way to play the game that does not exploit these issues to some degree. If your opponent is incompetent or does not understand the game mechanics then that is irrelevant to issues of gameyness.

A competent player will have troops in cover/concealment, not hidden. A competent deployment will make light vehicle advances over threatened ground very costly without compromising concealment if it's just one "suicide scout". Bullets and shells travel faster than vehicles.

Sure, if you're using light vehicles to cross dead ground, I'd not name that gamey.

Assuming we are talking about an attack/defend type engagement it's true that this would not work against a competent opponent. And even if it did the objective could not be held against any counter attack. Frankly I don't know how this would ever work, and if it did it would have to be due to gross incompetence on the defender's part rather than exploitation of game mechanics.

In a meeting engagement this is a sound strategy.

Not sure I would consider this gamey. Getting to an objective "first with the most" is a fundamental principle of war. This is a legitimate use of light vehicles, IMO.

Agree. “Get there first, with the most” That is my philosophy totally in meeting engagment battles, and it has not failed me much in that I have won most M.E. PBEM’s (actually I have only lost 3 since cmx1). Much easier to get key ground first, and defend it than having to attack to capture it.

In regard to the wooden fences damaging tank tracks I wish BF would change that. I can't believe TANKS are that fragile. Also, no track repair between battles I don’t think would happen. Crews can change tracks as they generally carry spare track, which is different than say a damaged engine part, which might not be as easily replaced. To me track damaged by WOODEN fences is gamey because it is not real world physics. I can see a stonewall perhaps damaging, but not wooden fences.

In the armored car encounter scenario I successfully used MG jeeps to distract German AC's while my Greyhounds moved up and got them from the flank. Lost one jeep that did not get far enough hull down at the end point of their run, though. That was fun, though probably not so for the digital GI's ordered to do it...

Theoretically jeep mgs should be able to stand off and supply surpressive fire over the heads of the advancing troops. But that all is contingent on staying outside effective small arms fire range, which is pretty nearly impossible since everybody's firing big-bullet rifles in the game. This is much more easily done in CMSF where mg range is considerably farther than the opponent AK assault rifle fire. You should be able to get your jeep to 'area fire' at ranges beyond its usual 'targeted fire' range. Hosing down a distant building to keep peoples heads down.

I'm not sure there is any way to play the game that does not exploit these issues to some degree.

There's a line between "working within the constraints of the engine" and "exploiting the engine's flaws". Where each of us draws that line is a matter of personal taste. One man's gamey bastich is another man's tactical genius.

Assuming we are talking about an attack/defend type engagement...

How many meeting engagements start with your opponent putting their forces in places that can shoot at you rushing the objective and then not doing so? In an ME both sides usually have to move from their setup zones at which point they're, you know, not hiding any more.

...it's true that this would not work against a competent opponent.

I'm glad you agree with my point. The "gameyness" of this tactic stems from its dependence on manipulation or presence of out-of-gamefield factors.

In a meeting engagement this is a sound strategy.

Meeting engagements are an inherently gamey environment, and the specific gaminess won't apply anyway.

There's a line between "working within the constraints of the engine" and "exploiting the engine's flaws". Where each of us draws that line is a matter of personal taste. One man's gamey bastich is another man's tactical genius.

The difference between our views appears to be that I do not consider either the 1 minute turns or my opponent's potential incompetence to be flaws in the game engine.

I'm glad you agree with my point. The "gameyness" of this tactic stems from its dependence on manipulation or presence of out-of-gamefield factors.

I agree that it's not likely to work. I disagree with everything alse. Attempting to wrong-foot your opponent by doing something you think he doesn't expect is not gamey.

Meeting engagements are an inherently gamey environment,

Perhaps, but they are also the most popular environment.

While I've had great difficulty using jeep radios with mortar teams, I have been amazed by jeeps surviving multiple "lower hull penetrations" and "wheel hits." I don't blame the jeep driver continuing to drive in preference to changing a tire under small arms fire, but I do wonder how far a jeep could go on wheel rims with its driver hunching down to minimize his exposure to the fire before he ran into something. The jeep lasted three minutes (turns) before brewing up.