Destroyers hunting subs

So my understanding is that under the gold version a sub will only be identified 50% of the time if the sub is in Silent mode. So what is to keep an opponent from sweeping the area a few times and eventually finding a sub based on the 50% probability?

So if an opponent finds a sub on a convoy route. On subsequent turns, since he/she knows the vicinity of the sub could sweep the ocean repeatedly until one sweep finds the sub again. I am assuming that this how this works?

Yep,

- Or you can just patrol along the convoy lanes to keep subs in check.

As ally, you can also sacrifice french naval units as long as you have them.

Some aerial recon with bombers can help too.

- On the other side, your opponent can set up a trap with some surface units and when your destroyers come seeking easy subs to attack they'll get in with cruisers and BB.

Enemy tac bombers with naval upgrades can also be deadly if you come close to coasts (or even figthers/interceptors for your carriers).

- Naval game in SCGC has many surprises, you'll have to play to get all twists ^^ .

- No, the silent mode gives you a chance to remain undetected even by DDs. Better use it when you try to reach the Atlantic and narrow channels but when in vast sea areas you can gain some movement without it, still a gamble.

- And you have to consider the fact that a sub technology difference increases your chances to dive when attacked (saw one dive four consecutive times once).

A sub with sub tech 2 is very hard to kill by naval units with antisub tech 0 ^^ .

Hi

I think that silent mode is very useful indeed.

Destroyers have a 50% chance of finding the sub in silent mode, but other ships don't have this chance, so silent mode still keeps you hidden most of the time.

Also, the "?" that appears due to subs raiding a convoy isn't necessarily a report of the sub's current location. It helps, but it's often a turn out of date by the time you can see and react to it.

• 2 weeks later...