Panther Vs Sherman & Pershing_Nice Video

Hmmm, interesting footage. That's how I would expect a crew to look and behave when bailing out of a destroyed tank. Not like the uber tank crews we get in CMBN that fight like crack troops! Have you seen this you guys at Battlefront?

I think that's footage my brother's been telling me about for a few years now...the US tank commander part. Pretty brutal and intense. Amazing seeing actual hits on live tanks and none of those dudes was moving like lightening...shows you how shook up and disorienting it must be to be sitting in a can when it takes a hit.

Mord.

I can't imagine a more terrifying way to die. This is exactly why I joined the infantry when it came time to serve. I played enough Steel Panthers 2 to know how many weapons exist that are designed to kill tanks in a big way. After the service, CMSF reinforced this. For infantry, Artillery is the stuff of nightmares, for tank crews, everything else. Granted, modern MBTs are designed to take hits and allow the crew to escape, but there is no guarantee that you will escape with everything you climbed in with. Really intense vid there, I already respect WWII vets with almost god like reverence for going to war without all the stuff we have today to keep you breathing, but to see it.........

I can't imagine a more terrifying way to die. This is exactly why I joined the infantry when it came time to serve. I played enough Steel Panthers 2 to know how many weapons exist that are designed to kill tanks in a big way. After the service, CMSF reinforced this. For infantry, Artillery is the stuff of nightmares, for tank crews, everything else. Granted, modern MBTs are designed to take hits and allow the crew to escape, but there is no guarantee that you will escape with everything you climbed in with. Really intense vid there, I already respect WWII vets with almost god like reverence for going to war without all the stuff we have today to keep you breathing, but to see it.........

The one thing, other than BioChemical weapons, that I feared in a Bradley was burning inside the vehicle. Everything else seemed like a good way to go in comparison.

Indeed, im joining the Infantry for the same reason. Interesting to see im not alone in my reasons. Ive always said I like to have my feet on the ground and if the worst should happen I dont want it to be by burning, or in the navies case, by drowning.

I can't imagine driving around in a vehicle just waiting to get hit by something.

Don't deploy to Iraq. Even the airborne was rolling around in trucks and 1114's waiting to get hit by something. At least in armor, you had a chance of surviving all but the most devious attacks.

Don't deploy to Iraq. Even the airborne was rolling around in trucks and 1114's waiting to get hit by something. At least in armor, you had a chance of surviving all but the most devious attacks.

Imagine participating in those Thunder Runs :D

Go look up the odds of tank crew and infantry making it out of the wars. I think you will find tank crews come up trumps.

A tank at least offers you a chance of a second chance when you get hit.... with infantry you generally get hit and your out of the war and crippled for life or dead.

Go look up the odds of tank crew and infantry making it out of the wars. I think you will find tank crews come up trumps.

I think it's more the idea behind being killed or hit while inside a tank. Kinda like flying versus driving. Statistically flying is way safer and there are less deaths but crashing in a car just doesn't seem as horrible.

@Gunnergoz...nice breakdown of the action.

Mord.

I think it's more the idea behind being killed or hit while inside a tank. Kinda like flying versus driving. Statistically flying is way safer and there are less deaths but crashing in a car just doesn't seem as horrible.

@Gunnergoz...nice breakdown of the action.

Mord.

Yeah its deffinatelly that. Irrational? yeah, but what are we without irrationality :D

On the other hand, a lot of tankers would not have swapped places with the infantry for anything in this world. Why? Having several inches of steel between their tender bodies and all those pieces of high velocity metal that tend to be flying around on a battlefield made them feel at least a little more secure. Irrational? Probably. On the other hand, the numbers bear them out.

Michael

On the other hand, a lot of tankers would not have swapped places with the infantry for anything in this world. Why? Having several inches of steel between their tender bodies and all those pieces of high velocity metal that tend to be flying around on a battlefield made them feel at least a little more secure. Irrational? Probably. On the other hand, the numbers bear them out.

Michael

For me, I got sold on the pitch that I could ride around engaging vehicles with a 25mm, tanks with a TOW missile, infantry with the coax, enemy aircraft with the Stinger and still have the opportunity to dismount and go kick in doors.

The Bradley never affords anyone with a great deal of mental relaxation due to the fact that an RPG might not be stopped by the armor. It's an infantry fighting vehicle and not much else. If you want to see some 19K's at their worst, go talk to them a day after that invincible mega tank has cooked off on MSR Tampa.

As an armoured recon man I would never join the infantry. It was shocking to see hand to hand combat in a WW1 documentary where soldiers engaged each other with German (point) helmet, sticks with nails and pioneer shovel. I rather target infantry at long range and take the consequence of being brew up.

There is a classic scene in Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy's autobiographical film To Hell and Back where his squad is mounting up on a Sherman to hitch a ride and the Sherman commander complains that he only has two inches of steel to protect him, at which time Audie or one of his GI's holds his shirt lapel and asks "How thick do you think this is?" :D

Allied tankers had a much lower turnover rate compared to infantry in terms of human losses compared to unit strength, but it does seem tank casualties had a higher fatality rate than infantry. For infantry it was like 1:3-4 KIA:WIA. In tanks it was closer 1:1 or 1:2 KIA:WIA.

You are also not really maimed for life as infantry if you are wounded. From the US army's own data:

Total WIA in WWII: 592,170

Total returned to service overseas: 363,196

So slightly more than about 60% returned to active service in their respective theaters (doesn't specify if frontline or not).

It's just one of those things. I've read infantry guys saying they'd never want to be in a tank or fighter/bomber and I've read pilots say they wouldn't have wanted to be one of those poor b*st**ds in the infantry and etc. etc. Matter of perspective. In war I guess it always looks worse for the other fighting guy.

When I went in I joined the Infantry 'cause I didn't want to be in a tank or even an IFV if I could help it. The only thing that worried me more was being sent to Idaho to man a desk.

But it never worked out anyway, so.

Mord.

After spending time in the infantry, grass being greener and all. I preferred it when we got IFV and did not have to walk everywhere while carrying 30kg of crap and then manically digging holes everywhere. I like the idea of being in a contact without being pre fatigued.

Mounted rifles for the win.