Should I buy Global Conflict+Gold or The Great War?

Hi fellow gamers!

I've played SC W&W some years ago and SC1 before that. Now I've time to play this awesome game again. I'm mostly interested in WWII history and games and I do like big maps with a lot of options. That means I don’t like solid fronts everywhere and the following forced slug fight it always results in. I want a game there strategic aspects are almost as important as brute force.

At a first glance GC seems like the obvious choice, but I've heard there is some really good WWII maps to GW as well. Since GW is newer maybe it's better I figured. But now I saw that GC Gold was out, so maybe it settles it?

If I remembered right, then I followed Huberts work on GC, where was some limits in the fact what strength and so only could be programmed with one digit (1-9). Therefore it was a problem to fit in more units like garrisons for instance. Do GC+Gold or GW has this limit or is it improved?

Since I'm not sure, I hereby ask you guys that knows this much better than me. Which one do you think I should buy?

Both are not an answer since I don’t want to be away to much from my wonderful family. :)

As I wrote, both are not an option. Please help me out here.

Also I want the game to be realistic with flags and symbols. I've read your interesting AAR and saw on your screen dumps that you had some kind of realism mod.

Does it exist to both GC and GW? Where can I find it?

As far as I am aware both GC Gold and SCWW1 use the latest version of the SC2 engine.

GC Gold has all the theatres of WW2 on a global map in a scale that makes it playable in about the same time as W&W.

SCWW1 has WW1 (surprise!) and with the Storm Over Europe scenario WW2 European and Med theatres with more units and larger maps (covering pretty much the same area as W&W).

For both I would highly recommend Storm Over Europe Fast Play scenario (available from the repository, though I think the SCWW1 version may be awaiting an update) which is essentially W&W brought up to date using the new SC Gold / WW1 engine.

To sum up - if in addition to an updated / expended version of W&W you would prefer to have WW2 on a global basis go for GC Gold, if ETO/Med is your primary interest then go for SCWW1 with Storm Over Europe / SOE Fast Play for WW2.

Hello Adda ^^ ,

- I quote you:

"That means I don’t like solid fronts everywhere and the following forced slug fight it always results in. I want a game there strategic aspects are almost as important as brute force."

- WWI is what I would call "solid fronts everywhere" but if your focus is on Europe you'll have WWI et WWII in the same game with W&W.

- I'd go for SCGCGold if you want a whole world map, more various kind of countries/strategies/warfare (aeronaval) you play and (only my opinion) more strategic challenge (research/production planning/invasions timing). It has some flaws of course but you'll have to think about your moves for sure.

In regard to realistic flags / symbols as standard in both GC / SCWW1 (as well as all other SC2 games) you can select NATO symbols as opposed to sprites by deselecting the 3D Units option. I personally never play with the sprites and I'm not sure why almost all the AARs use sprites as the NATO symbols are a lot clearer and in my opinion significantly better looking and in keeping with the scale of the game.

With further thought if I had to chose just one of the games I'd go with GC Gold (but it would be a very close choice)

Thanks for the answers.

If I buy GW it’s to play WWII maps. Of cause I would try WWI, buts that are not what I’m looking for. So far it seems GC has the upper hand, since it also give you the pacific theater.

Two questions remains:

1. Are any of the game engines superior to the other, aka has lesser limitations for future upgrades or modes?

2. Are there mods to both GC and GW that will give me historic accurate German, Japanese and so on flags? I'll not spend a single dollar on a “fantasy” or historic inaccurate game since it takes away the whole play atmosphere and feeling.

Looking forward to your answers, so I can buy it asap. :-)

1) This can probably only be answered the game designers

2) Flags tell nothing about historical accuracy, game depths and surely not about game fun. Both GW and GC are filled with historical pictures, sounds, and informatiions, so you won't be missing atmosphere in neither of the games.

From my personal view: SC GC Gold is the best WW2 game as it offers the whole globe, SC WW1 is the best SC game ever because it offers such a unique and fresh campaign and until today (at least in my eyes) the best and tightes atmosphere of all SC games ever.

Buy Global Conflict Gold and you will find yourself asking what great game you have now missed by ignoring the brilliant SC WW1 (and no, i never even played the WW2 campaign withing SC WW1).

Buy SC WW1 and suffer from not being able to enjoy the best SC WW2 game EVER, where you can send ships from the North Sea toward the Pacific, invade India, defend Australia, and all this with forces from all over the world.

Buy one of both games, and you will lose.

Buy both, be happy, and get the red card from your family - you lose again.

Sorry, but it seems there is no happy ending in sight.

We're all doomed. Welcome to the club!

:D

In regard to historic flags, Japan has the "meatball" flag (i.e. large red circle on a white background), Germany has the "historic" flag with a Balkenkreuz replacing the Swastika. Although I also prefer to have historic flags I find the SC German flag the least jarring of compromises.

Don't know of any standalone flag mods for GC or the WW2 scenarios of WW1.

Welcome aboard Adda and for the game engine question, SC WWI and SC Global GOLD use the same game engine.

What happened behind the scenes was SC WWI was built up from our original SC2 engine and it incorporated many new and key features to ensure a proper WWI gaming experience but we never removed the core WWII functionality. This is of course on top of all the other game engine enhancements including the improved AI and so on.

In the end we added a 'switch' to either enable or disable the WWI functionality and this is why we are able to have a full WWII mod within the SC WWI game release as well as use the same engine for SC Global GOLD.

I hope this helps,

Hubert