German vs, American grenades

One question. There is a modded graphic to depict the effect of a weapon. However is that depiction accurate, or just a depiction. Could I for example create a mod showing an even larger blast?

I don't know for sure, but the graphics explosions appear to coincide accurately in size with the amount of explosives in the caliber/weapon.

Whether this graphic can be made larger than the actual effect I don’t know since I have never modded animations. I only have non-animated BMP, and text modding experience. Vein, or someone who animates would be better qualified to answer. I am guessing the animations are accurate to the number value given in the game, and were not made larger or smaller. Here is another pic for reference that reinforces the accuracy of the larger the amount of explosive relating to the blast area in size. This last shot is from a 75mm Sherman gun. It can be compared to 105mm shot above in the thread.

75blast.jpg

Also, you can hear the difference in the sounds of the blast. The more explosives, the louder the boom. Listen to the differences in sounds next time you play. German grenade booms are louder as is the 105mm compared to 75mm.

Also, you can hear the difference in the sounds of the blast. The more explosives, the louder the boom. Listen to the differences in sounds next time you play. German grenade booms are louder as is the 105mm compared to 75mm.

Good example and kind of what I am worried about. The audio is simply a sound file. I could rename a 105mm file and make a 75 mm sound the same with no actual change on the effect. I suspect but have no real info that the visual graphic may be similar. The game knows hard coded what to do with a weapon and effect, but the audio/visual presentation is simply a file that is not hard coded (thankfully as the modders would then be unable to do anything). One would think the base files would try to give a visual commensurate with the intended physical affect, but once it starts getting modded that becomes simply a personal preference of what looks good to you. It could also be that BFC figured, heck you can't depict every piece of shrapnel so the fudge factor could be quite a bit larger to simply say "make it look good". That could make using the graphical representation as an indicator a flawed tool to start with. Not saying it is, just that I am not sure that using it is really "scientific". Still cool pics anyway. I especially liked them arcing past one another in mid air.

Good example and kind of what I am worried about. The audio is simply a sound file. I could rename a 105mm file and make a 75 mm sound the same with no actual change on the effect. I suspect but have no real info that the visual graphic may be similar. The game knows hard coded what to do with a weapon and effect, but the audio/visual presentation is simply a file that is not hard coded (thankfully as the modders would then be unable to do anything). One would think the base files would try to give a visual commensurate with the intended physical affect, but once it starts getting modded that becomes simply a personal preference of what looks good to you. It could also be that BFC figured, heck you can't depict every piece of shrapnel so the fudge factor could be quite a bit larger to simply say "make it look good". That could make using the graphical representation as an indicator a flawed tool to start with. Not saying it is, just that I am not sure that using it is really "scientific". Still cool pics anyway. I especially liked them arcing past one another in mid air.

Nothing to worry about. Mods never change the engine whether they are graphic, or audio. They do have limitations in size too so they can fit right. An easy example is the unit portrait I am showing of Clint Eastwood. If it were not sized the same as the original BMP file it would not show. In terms of the explosions Vein is showing think of each blast as a transparent circular target with the bullseye, and radius being larger the more explosive. One cannot make the bullseye or radius of the target larger, but one can make the transparent more opaque so it can be seen easier as Vein has done. Even if no explosion graphic were shown at all it would not effect that the invisible blast radius is still present. The stock graphic, and sounds just as the mods maintain a logical and reasonable proportion as one would expect such as 105mm being a larger explosion graphically, as well as under the hood than a 75mm explosive round. My guess is the explosion BMP’s are different sizes to match the caliber so making it larger than what is there to begin with is impossible.

Nothing to worry about. Mods never change the engine whether they are graphic, or audio. They do have limitations in size too so they can fit right. An easy example is the unit portrait I am showing of Clint Eastwood. If it were not sized the same as the original BMP file it would not show. In terms of the explosions Vein is showing think of each blast as a transparent circular target with the bullseye, and radius being larger the more explosive. One cannot make the bullseye or radius of the target larger, but one can make the transparent more opaque so it can be seen easier as Vein has done. Even if no explosion graphic were shown at all it would not effect that the invisible blast radius is still present. The stock graphic, and sounds just as the mods maintain a logical and reasonable proportion as one would expect such as 105mm being a larger explosion graphically, as well as under the hood than a 75mm explosive round. My guess is the explosion BMP’s are different sizes to match the caliber so making it larger than what is there to begin with is impossible.

Very cool, thanks I learned something new today.