7.92K Ammo

Why is it that the rifle squads carrying the Stg44 can not resupply their weapons. I have been reading some and nowhere does it say it was super limited ammo. They had been producing this round since 1938, although the cassing changed from brass to steel late in WWII.

Anyways its sort of a pain in the Arse when you are playing extended battles, and one of your squads is equipped with 2 Stg44's or you give buddy aid and one of the troopers turns in his K98 for a Stg44 with 34 rounds of ammo, and then he will not fire his weapon because he is low on ammo.

IS there going to be a solution for this at all in the future?

thanks.

Juergen.

I agree that the lack of 7.92 Kurz in vehicles is silly and problematic. I also agree that this is in the wrong subforum.

It appears that the Allies have all the ammo they need in their vehicles, just thought it curious as to why we cant supply more ammo for the 7.92K.

In long engagements using infantry this is VERY problematic!

It appears that the Allies have all the ammo they need in their vehicles, just thought it curious as to why we cant supply more ammo for the 7.92K.

In long engagements using infantry this is VERY problematic!

Not to mention in campaigns where your pTruppen might not get resupplied between battles. At least if a 7.92/9mm squad is left dry, there's often a chance they'll be able to resupply to some extent out of vehicles that are either not "core" or succeeded on their "resupply" chance.

Battlefront... are you all working to resolve this issue, we all understand its not a High priority item.. but it does effect squadsl with said type of ammo alot especially if the unit is engaged for about 10min.. which is not long at all in most scenerios....

We need more AMMO possiblities. thanks.

Having chimed in above, I have recently noticed that the MP44 users seem to have much better fire discipline than the MP40 guys in my assault teams. If I strip every track, truck and Kubel, the Schmeissers are running out of ammo by the end of an hour's fighting, but the assault rifles still have plenty left... So it's turning out not to be that much of a problem, though you'd expect "quality" resupply entities to have a chance of having 7.92k, same as "quality" troops have a chance of having the weapon.

turns in his K98 for a Stg44 with 34 rounds of ammo, and then he will not fire his weapon because he is low on ammo.

I have had this happen to me way too many times.. It screws up the entire Firpower of the Squad.. one useless member.. picks up nice shiny Stg44 with no ammo.. in fact the entire Company has no ammo for the weapon either, nor does the entire battalion for that matter.

I have done alot of research finding if there were ammo shortages... there were direct ammo shortages for the 7.92k ammo that they had been producing since the 1930's.

The weapon was rare, but not the ammo for christ sake.

I'm not sure, but I think that one of the bunkers has ammo resupply which includes 7.92K.

I workaround would be to open the battle in the editor, drop a couple of these bunkers in the setup zone (appropriately nerfed), and use them to ammo-up your squads in the setup.

A (slightly) better workaround would be for scenario designers to include such a bunker.

But, yeah, it'd be better if 7.92K were available in the various vehicles.

Ken

I'm not sure, but I think that one of the bunkers has ammo resupply which includes 7.92K.

I workaround would be to open the battle in the editor, drop a couple of these bunkers in the setup zone (appropriately nerfed), and use them to ammo-up your squads in the setup.

A (slightly) better workaround would be for scenario designers to include such a bunker.

But, yeah, it'd be better if 7.92K were available in the various vehicles.

Ken

I actually like this bunker idea for using as a rally point for squads that are in bad shape. They could get to rearm while also having some time away from the frontline to recover. Instead of considering them as fighting bunkers, they would be more the protected ammo dumps of the units in question. If you figure ammo supply is generally an issue to face in longer battles, then having a rear area rally point also makes some sense. In shorter battles it probably wouldn't come into play as much. I could certainly have used something like this in Hamel Vallee. As it is my only incentive for getting folks out of the front line is to give them a break. My few vehicles were too busy transporting reserves to have time to re supply the troops. They are also way too vulnerable.

There have been some great posts in mapping threads where some players have created impressive underground ammo bunkers -- large enough to hold ammo-laden halftracks. But I saved only the text, so I can't link to the thread or the author(s) who figured out how to do this.

In future maps, I think I will start placing at least one of these to represent a HQ/rally point/fortified basement where troops can rest and rearm. But only in maps where the force would have been in that area a while.

(Just a background note: In Hamel Vallee, the Germans rushed in and only just barely arrived the previous night to block the advancing Americans. So it's fair to say they might not have had this resource, and just had to go into battle with whatever they could drive or carry in. Now, if the Germans were to fall back slightly to Le Mesnil-Rouxelin, I'd definitely put ammo bunkers in the town and fortify the heck out of it -- because that town was the site of the 352nd ID's divisional HQ since before D-Day.)

There have been some great posts in mapping threads where some players have created impressive underground ammo bunkers -- large enough to hold ammo-laden halftracks. But I saved only the text, so I can't link to the thread or the author(s) who figured out how to do this.

In future maps, I think I will start placing at least one of these to represent a HQ/rally point/fortified basement where troops can rest and rearm. But only in maps where the force would have been in that area a while.

(Just a background note: In Hamel Vallee, the Germans rushed in and only just barely arrived the previous night to block the advancing Americans. So it's fair to say they might not have had this resource, and just had to go into battle with whatever they could drive or carry in. Now, if the Germans were to fall back slightly to Le Mesnil-Rouxelin, I'd definitely put ammo bunkers in the town and fortify the heck out of it -- because that town was the site of the 352nd ID's divisional HQ since before D-Day.)

Hmm do I hear an addition to come for my sig line? :D

Perks....

Did someone mention ammo supply points? :)

Please remember that any and all ammo Bunkers that a designer does NOT wish to be moved must be placed in a non-setup zone.

This requires that the designer erase a section of setup zone to place the bunkers, or the player will of course move it a place of his choosing. This may/will affect play balance.

The home-made ones that hold Hannomags that are shown in the above-mentioned thread(thanks for the link ian) should be designed with caution, as they are a cast iron biotch to place, and if you make an error it is a bear to fix.

Plus they can be seen at battle start on the map for what they are. This requires that a number of them are made unless there is limited artillery available to the enemy. A structure without a roof is very vulnerable to indirect fire, so you have to put decoys out there.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know the latest on this issue? Just happened to me - playing a campaign ... soldier gives buddy aid, trades in his K98 for an MP44 and only 10 rounds of ammo ... doesn't fire another shot in the mission ... next mission (24 hours later) still has the MP44 with 10 rounds ... I have so many trucks and other vehicles filled with so much ammo it's not true, but not a single round of 7.92K amongst it ... very frustrating.

In real life surely he wouldn't trade his K98 for an MP44 if there is no ammo available for it either locally where he picked it up nor even back at the supply trucks of HQ?

Anyone know the latest on this issue? Just happened to me - playing a campaign ... soldier gives buddy aid, trades in his K98 for an MP44 and only 10 rounds of ammo ... doesn't fire another shot in the mission ... next mission (24 hours later) still has the MP44 with 10 rounds ... I have so many trucks and other vehicles filled with so much ammo it's not true, but not a single round of 7.92K amongst it ... very frustrating.

In real life surely he wouldn't trade his K98 for an MP44 if there is no ammo available for it either locally where he picked it up nor even back at the supply trucks of HQ?

I think the only answer here is use him for some useful task, but if he gets hit - do NOT administer buddy aid.

Help me, help me please

Hmm is that an MP 44 you got there? Sorry buddy everyone knows if I do I'll be stuck with a no ammo weapon. You're on your own.

I think some people are confused here. The parent case (7.92 x 57mm) may date back to the 1930s, but the actual 7.92 Kurz (7.92 x 33 mm) cartridge dates to 1943! This is clearly explained in the Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92×33mm_Kurz

Thus, there is no gigantic horde of 7.92K cartridges lying about for the Landser to help himself to. This is made clear by this article

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/smallarms/p/stg44.htm

Polte produced the cartridge, and it was the only firm to do so.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/smallarms/p/stg44.htm

Unless one finds evidence to the contrary! I find this dispositive. Head stamps indicate at least two factories produced 7.92K ammo, and here are the pics to prove it.

http://gerbigmilitaria.com/collector-ammunition/nazi-wwii-7-92-kurz-7-92x33k-8mm-kurz-8mm-short/

I have NO idea why it's so hard to come up with the production figures for this cartridge, but so far, my online research hasn't delivered the data.

Regards,

John Kettler

JonS,

It's fascinating to me how you could easily "say something righteous for a change" but invariably chose the direct or indirect slam at me instead. I know you're perfectly capable of making a real contribution in your posts, but when I'm involved, all efforts to advance the discussion end and you come baying after me, fangs bared. Curious!

Regards,

John Kettler

Don't worry JK I get the same cryptic comments from JonS to my posts which are slightly off-tangent and make no sense. Still everyone has their little foibles.

I am glad you clarified the ammo matter as it saved me worrying what was going on. Though the concept of picking up a weapon when you have negligible ammo is a problem.