Anyone know what module will come after CW?

Eastern front won't be a module - modules are much more limited in scope. It will be a new 'base game' which will have its own modules. Actually it will be several new base games for different parts of the war. Much as in the west, we have CM:BN, which with modules will eventully cover up until September '44 and Market Garden. Then there will be a new base game for the Bulge with modules to extend that through to the end of the war.

So, each base game covers part of the war in a given theatre, and gets expanded by 2-3 modules that add in extra equipment and formations (and nationalities).

The last general statement by BFC on the east front was that the outline plan was for one base game to cover each year of the war (very roughly speaking). So the entire front would be something like 4 base games, each with 2-3 modules. Which at current release rates means the entire eastern front will just about be ready in time for the 100th anniversary of Barbarossa in 2041... :)

I am really looking forward to the Operation market garden campaign (hopefully they will be Allies and German playable versions). The way the latest CW campaigns have evolved from the initial release is really good. Gone are the days of endless QB's, now I prefer the set piece battles with the reuse of forces over a campaign. :)

I hope you can combine all those games so you can jump between theaters in the same QB or campaign menu. I'm really looking forward to having true airborne models.

BFC has stated that play between different game families will not be possible. Play between different modules of the same family are interoperable though. Which means that if you buy all the modules of a given family, you can use all the contents of all the modules together, as long as they were present at the same time.

Michael

BFC has stated that play between different game families will not be possible. Play between different modules of the same family are interoperable though. Which means that if you buy all the modules of a given family, you can use all the contents of all the modules together, as long as they were present at the same time.

Michael

Well If they make Battle of the Bulge what would be the difference between BN and BofB? Snow textures? the German snow textures would be interchangeable with the german eastern front stuff, so if you buy the EF game then all your really getting is some 30 million pissed off Russians in snow textures.

If they are both full fledged games thats $120?

I could/would pay full price for a game or sequels but After buying the core game BN everything else would just be Skin/model packs TBH unless they add rather large changes to the engine

They should make everything else expansion packs aside from the core game BN

I hope you can combine all those games so you can jump between theaters in the same QB or campaign menu. I'm really looking forward to having true airborne models.

Not likely. There is no planning as far as BFC has ever said about "jumping between Families of games. They are inherently different games based on the same engine, but still different games.

i am wondering if those who did not buy the cw module will be able to play with british paras in the mg module

Also not likely. If you do not have the CW module you are missing core units for MG (British tanks for example). There was even I believe talk of changing the ToEs available for US airborne units.

Well If they make Battle of the Bulge what would be the difference between BN and BofB? Snow textures? the German snow textures would be interchangeable with the german eastern front stuff, so if you buy the EF game then all your really getting is some 30 million pissed off Russians in snow textures.

If they are both full fledged games thats $120?

I could/would pay full price for a game or sequels but After buying the core game BN everything else would just be Skin/model packs TBH unless they add rather large changes to the engine

They should make everything else expansion packs aside from the core game BN

BotB would add potentially fire, UI changes, maybe armored covered arcs, different ToEs for the period, additional units etc. (and who knows, maybe tweaked hunt commands etc) Based on the way BFC has explained the game family system CMBN and BotB would not be interchangeable. BN is the core game for it and it's modules. It is NOT the core game for BoTB. CMx2 is however still the core engine. BFC has stated they intend to basically finish each family and keep going forward, meaning they probably aren't planning to patch backwards to CMBN. One never knows though, they may decide based on how much effort it is to actually do that.

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.jpg

RUM HAM!

So I would figure since all these games will use the same engine CMx2(?) why couldn't all the additions or changes then be applied to all the games? Sorry, just ticks me off about how much money they'll be taking out of my pocket with so little changes. If the engine stays the same you really are just paying full price for a model/skin/texture/map pack. which is essentially an expansion pack with any other game on the market, I don't see why this would change just because they're selling to a niche market.

You could have said the same about the CMx1 games, and some people did. But the bottom line, literally, is that retrofitting features to previous games costs BFC two things: time that could be spent on improving the current product, and money they will not recoup.

So I would figure since all these games will use the same engine CMx2(?) why couldn't all the additions or changes then be applied to all the games? Sorry, just ticks me off about how much money they'll be taking out of my pocket with so little changes. If the engine stays the same you really are just paying full price for a model/skin/texture/map pack. which is essentially an expansion pack with any other game on the market, I don't see why this would change just because they're selling to a niche market.

I think you are assuming too much about what goes into development and how much they can keep things going backwardly compatible. If it were really that simple they should have been able to add a CMBN module to CMSF. If they were a bigger outfit perhaps they could do so. I don't know whether the issue is primarily a technical one or a resource concern. If you also look forward though, they are going to have to deal with developing a 64 bit engine, dealing with Windows 8 (my company is already talking about being on Windows 8 next year).

That being said, if you really think BFC can continue to produce ANYTHING for you going forward based on cheap sales of DLCs then I think you may want to consider what that business model means for them. Food stamps are gonna be phased out by Mitt.

Food stamps are gonna be phased out by Mitt.

Thank goodness for that. That tax crap takes out 1500 a month from my freg'n check, once that happens I wouldn't mind paying full price for products. You had some points about how are they going to profit from a DLC exclusive line of products thanks for bringing that to my attention. TBH I was just blind rageing.

Thank goodness for that. That tax crap takes out 1500 a month from my freg'n check, once that happens I wouldn't mind paying full price for products. You had some points about how are they going to profit from a DLC exclusive line of products thanks for bringing that to my attention. TBH I was just blind rageing.

Oh.. sorry you thought Mitt was gonna save you tax money? I assumed that since you were worried about the cost of future games you weren't already wealthy. No sorry, the rest of us aren't getting a tax break, we are just going to see fewer services with what little is left to go around. You will still pay the same amount, you'll just see less for your money.

And before somebody flames me for being too liberal, I never said the other side had a better option. Just making a joke about the lack of social services left to support our friends at BFC under one side's plan.

How does this business model make sense? This sounds more like a side hobby than it does a business. They could have gotten interns for free to make models and they could have just sold the game for $100 already.

It's a labor of love, not just a business. I don't think BFC has ever said they were solely in it for the money. If they did, I would definitely assume they were loony as this is surely not going to lead to a multi billion doller IPO...unless they come out with some way of just turning it into something that allows you to tell the entire world what inanely stupid thing you are doing right now in less than 128 characters...

Sorry, just ticks me off about how much money they'll be taking out of my pocket with so little changes.

Well, I've been around the game and I suspect around life in general, perhaps more than most folks here. ;)

I've been into board games and evolved to computer games starting back in my Compucolor and Apple II days in the 70's, buying my first IBMPC right off their production line (employee purchase program) back in early 80's. Cost me $7,000+ then ... :eek:

I've never found any game that I've stuck with so long and that has given me so many enjoyable hours of entertainment per dollar spent, then the BFC line of products.

Plus, I've met a LOT of great people and made some long term on-line friends from all over the world playing PBEM .....

Their business model is built around being an entrepreneurial life style business, not something that will grow to the size of Apple. :D

I suspect nobody, owners or otherwise in this company, are driving Maserati's and living in beach front property on Maui from the EBITDA this business generates... :P

Just my two cents from a long term happy customer.... :)

Regards,

Doug

I really want the EF game more than another west front game but alas I know that's not the case.

I don't mind there current business module I think it's fine to charge for work you've done. My problem is.... paying top dollar for a game only to find that it is bugged and doesn't work as advertised. I know this happens with other games but I am a full fledged groupy of BF so it hurts more :).

Maybe its like sburke said, that they're being subsidized by the government so they aren't as motivated to make a bug free game as they would if they were totally private ;).

You don't really need the Holland excuse to put a windmill into the map features available. Would, I agree, be good to see :)

Wouldn't it be lovely to see the windmills turning, with the speed of the blades and orientation of the head dependant on the scenario wind settings? (sort-of similar to how smoke is already blown about in accordance with the scenario wind settings)

[/daydream]

Does anyone know what module will come next after CW and what is BF's time frame for its possible release? Eastern Front? I'm assuming BF has long-term goals now that their first two releases are big successes and we're all hooked on this gaming system....................

The next module after the Bulge will be the Hammelburg raid, where we will get a whole new model of a Volksturm and a Hetzer B variant. Lets milk it.