Why did the Brit/Lend Lease Shermans Not Have the .50s?

I remember reading the CW forces manual before the release, and being very surprised the Brit tanks didnt mount .50 cals on the flexible mount. The gun has a storied history, and is always very popular with the troops. And in game, having that gun up there is a great help, and with my greyhounds the .50 kills more infantry than the 37mm HE easy.

I was just wondering why the the Brits didnt get them... Was it a US decision? Brit decision..?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technology we take for granted to play CM these days would appear to be like sorcery/magic to those guys. :)

It's incredible how far tech and games have come in even the last 10-15 years. Now, I'm in a generation struggling to understand how to use smartphones and iPads. :(

Don't feel too bad. I have a friend whose father before he died struggled to learn how to use touch tone phones.

Michael

Come on...admit it Emrys...that's you.

Mord.

P.S. He's actually connected to the internet through telegraph wires...

Tha wer' luckeh. Father used ter beat messages out on ar 'eds, an' if t'weren't carryin' far enow, e'd scoop aht sum braains ter get more resunance!

I find this grammatically incorrect. It should be :

Tha wer' luckeh. Father used ter beat messages out on ar 'eds, an' if t'weren't carryin' far enow, e'd scoop aht sum braains ter get more resunance, 'e wud!

Topic has veered off course.

Anyways the Brits/CW did not always take off the .50 cal, it seemed to be a personal preference by the crew. The Sherman was already pretty tall and the 50 cal could get caught on branches or wire and wack the commander in the face. Also it was awkward to use and could obscure the commanders field of view.

Many of the .50 cals found their way onto Universal Carriers and such. It was popular in British/CW service, as it scared the hell out of the German solders and the Germans had nothing comparable in widespread service.