Battlefield size

Guest BillWood

Guest BillWood

Just how big can they be in the final release? Seems to me to do say 5km X 5km battles would add a lot of manuever room, thus increasing the depth of this FANTASTIC simulation.

I started wargaming in 1980. Tactically, I cut my teeth on Tobruk and Squad Leader (starting with the infamous pink box) and I have not had that much fun gaming until Combat Mission Demo came out, a friggin' DEMO!

I have done some search on this topic and here is what I believe is the final verdict smile.gif

Maximum mapsize is 3 x 5 km.

No limit on force size, BUT having more than 1.5 battalion (200+ units) on each side is going to requre some serious hardware.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

I just did a nice 1 km x 1km "ambush" map with umm

2 Nashorns,

2 JagdTigers

2 JagdPanthers

4 Jagdpanzer IVs

and 4 Panthers who were ambushing

2 M8 greyhounds,

4 Stuarts,

4 M10s and

16 or so Shermans..

I did it cause Matt and I figured you'd like to see some pictures of German tank destroyers eh? wink.gif The pictures will be going up on CMHQ soon.

ANYWAYS, the deal is that on my 333 with crappy 2d/3d 16MB card I never dropped below 20 fps even when smoke rounds filled the air as the AI frantically tried to build a smokescreen between my hilltop ambush and its roadtop units wink.gif

I think you could get 2 companies of tanks per side on a BIG map if you had some serious hardware...

But it would require some serious hardware to do it since the tanks are really detailed well with mucho polygons per tank.

The Nashorn looks wonderful and I think the JagdPanther will knock your socks off. I took a picture of the exhaust stacks just to show the kind of detail that went into it.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Now only if the map system allowed the creation of exotic terrain. For example with an airfield with runway, parked aircraft on a tarmac, hangars, etc; we can create a large airfield assualt by airborne troops, such as Crete, the troops and equipment should exist in the game now or faked with the troops in the game.

Maybe an addon pack of additional terrain could surface one day.

MikeT

BTS or Fionn-

I have a 2 AMD 350s, one with a Viper V770 3d card (riva TNT2). Both computers seem to play the game at the same speed. Does CM support Direct3d? I love the viper, fast as ****, the only problem I've had with it is software compatability(like this).

any suggestions?

-Scott

Guest Big Time Software

Crete, and the rest of the Med. Theater is slated for CM3. This will include Africa and Italy as well. FYI, the troop types we have now, and nearly all vehicles, do not match those of 1941.

DirectX is the only thing we support on the PC side of things. Try updating your drivers.

Steve