Best way to assault

I've noticed that the German units will peel off automatic weapons when assigning scout teams. Frequently, I will end up with a smg and a rifle or a stg and a rifle. That could just be something I'm noticing lately on the Engel campaign that is related to that order of battle.

Interesting. IME, two Kar. 98s seems to be the most common German scout team composition. I have occasionally seen an SMG or a Stg. end up in the German scout team, but this seems to be the exception.

I suspect it has to do with the infantry type and squad composition -- squads with a higher proportion of automatic weapons are probably more likely to put one in the scout team.

A two-man team with one SMG could be used as a short-range, quick hit-and-fade ambush team, I suppose. Seems a risky tactic to me, though, as such a unit will be very brittle and if it doesn't score a hit on the first burst, there's a good chance they'll get wiped out before they can get away. I tend to prefer to larger 3-4 man teams as ambush units so there's a greater initial burst of fire, and if I can get such a team with at least 2 fully automatic weapons, so much the better.

If you're not using them to fight, shouldn't their morale be a non-issue?

Units not in C2 have a delay when spotting. So, I think what Childress is saying has some merit if the scouts get out of C2. However, I view my scouts as expendable, which they are almost always are. I hate losing 3-4 men as scouts, so I'll stick to the two man scouts.

The order in which one splits up a squad sometimes leads to different compositions (ie: sometimes a smg and a rifle rather than 2 rifles).

Also, if you split off an AT team as a 2nd split, you will get an AT team with an inf symbol, and the remaining 4-6 men with no AT weapons get the AT symbol.

And re scout life expectancy, to paraphrase M. Python: CO: "This is goodbye, Dimkins" Dimkins: "Oh don't say that sir, there's always hope... let's say Au Revoir." CO: "No, Dimkins. This is goodbye."

Actually if you use em carefully, I find they can survive (mostly).

Your reasoning is sound. But who *wants* to divide up every squad in a massive battle in order to enhance his chances? Talk about micro-management hell....

I do. :D I am in a pretty big PBEM fight right now (reinforced Inf Battalions slugging it out in the hedgerows). The game turns get flipped around slower, but the reward in seeing the small unit behavior is worth it. Broadsword and I both split up our squads and spend quite a bit of time checking out how all our units are behaving. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but watching the game at that level of detail makes me appreciate just how phenomenal a job BFC did on this game.

Split the squad into smallest teams possible, move them up with quick commands with pauses at short intervals with bounding overwatch keeping the teams with HMGs in the back, and, if you have two HMG teams (which you should if you split it right), always have one stationary.

As the person who asked the original question i should just like to thank sincerely all you guys who contributed-- for your very constructive , thoughtful and well argued contris---they all had their merits and demerits and they really provided an excellent range of tactical choices for me and no doubt many others to make any future decisions when assaulting .

Thanks to all.......

I've noticed that the German units will peel off automatic weapons when assigning scout teams. Frequently, I will end up with a smg and a rifle or a stg and a rifle. That could just be something I'm noticing lately on the Engel campaign that is related to that order of battle.

I have noticed this as well in the campaign and I think there is something wrong with the behaviour as it is inconsistent.

If you break off a scout team via a hotkey you typically get a two men with rifles. If you break off the team via the pop up menu you get a larger than normal team and sometimes they have autoweapons. These extra guys also happen with anti-teams and assault groups too.

"If you break off a scout team via a hotkey you typically get a two men with rifles. If you break off the team via the pop up menu you get a larger than normal team and sometimes they have autoweapons. These extra guys also happen with anti-teams and assault groups too."

It is erratic, but not as predictable as the above. I use pop up menu exclusively and get varied results.

I suspect it has something to do with the number or men in the squad and the order in which one splits off teams. I play mostly German and the larger 11 man squads with three columns in the bottom window can be broken into 3 teams.

If the first team split off is AT, or scout, one gets the appropriate 2 man team. If the first split is something else, then the 2nd split off of an AT team gives a two man AT team with an INF icon, and usually a 4 man team WITHOUT any AT weapons which has the AT symbol.

I can't recall how I get the 4-man scout team, but it could be via the 2nd split phenomenon, or when the 11 man squad occupies only 2 columns in the bottom window.

Erwin, that's basically my experience as well. The last several months I've been playing Germans exclusively, and the scout teams are usually two strong, but with larger squads I often get one 3-man team out of a kompanie's 3 platoons (don't think I ever had 4 man team,though).