Any news about the CW mod patch?

I remember that Phil said that the patch might be released 2-3 months after the CW module. He was going by the timing of the 1.0.1 patch.

I certainly would love to see the 1.11 patch as I am still stuck playing 1.0.1 due to graphical issues. I'm so looking forward to playing the CW module rather than just looking at the CD on the shelf.

I seem to have missed this. Was there any debate regards what we could expect to see?

I'm really enjoying it I have to say, but there are features rather than fixes that I would love to see included. I know of a few little niggles but nothing major that I can find maybe apart from the LOS trench/foxhole problem in certain weather/time of day.

@Baneman, obviously it depends on the game. I have Sword of the Stars II, which was a total train wreck on release, and they must have patched it 30-40 times in the last few months. I'm just saying the capability is there.

@phil, have you encountered the "crash on clicking red button" bug that came with 1.1? Happens on any map that has barbed wire when you load a save of the setup phase. This means some maps are unplayable for PBEM and you can waste hours in the Engel campaign if you don't remember to make a save after starting every scenario, as many of the maps are effected. This would classify as a game breaking bug to me and something that deserves a small patch now and not "probably before the next module", which is the only timeframe I've seen stated.

Edit: So I looked and it appears that bug is indeed fixed already, but because of their patch system we might not see it for months. Bleh.

This would classify as a game breaking bug to me and something that deserves a small patch now and not "probably before the next module", which is the only timeframe I've seen stated.

Edit: So I looked and it appears that bug is indeed fixed already, but because of their patch system we might not see it for months. Bleh.

I agree and this is my only problem with the BF crew. They make a great product but there is a massive bug included they fix the massive bug but won't release a hot fix. So you have to wait six months plus for a full blown patch that may introduce another bug so the cycle never ends. This has happened with CMSF as well and I whined about it then too.

In my opinion the "red button bug" is really the only bug that needs immediate attention for a hot fix the other ones aren't as major.

But it's a great game non-the-less.

Just a theory, but I suspect it may only show up when the video card is taxed.

My 2011 21.5" iMac barely blinks at running CM. I've never seen Xians issue on it. Other than a few very minor graphical artifacts, the 1.10 runs absolutely fine, and I have had no installation or stability issues.

...have you encountered the "crash on clicking red button" bug that came with 1.1? Happens on any map that has barbed wire when you load a save of the setup phase. This means some maps are unplayable for PBEM and you can waste hours in the Engel campaign if you don't remember to make a save after starting every scenario, as many of the maps are effected. This would classify as a game breaking bug to me and something that deserves a small patch now and not "probably before the next module", which is the only timeframe I've seen stated.

I've stopped the Engel campaign at the beginning of the second scenario because of this bug. It's only with the smallest of scenarios that I have time to get through an initial setup and start a game without saving. I spent the better part of 2 hours, over 4-5 nights, looking at the terrain, developing a plan and shifting pixeltruppen around the start zone. Of course, there were multiple saves...

I completely forgot that I'd had to restart the first scenario twice because of the red button crash. :mad:

You know this whole list of bugs keeps growing and all I hear is a bunch of crickets chirping from BFC.

There is a major reverse set up bug that had effed up every PBEM QB I have tried with one guy for a week. This has been reported and acknowledged and all I hear is crickets. This on top of dead british tank commanders, half assed alpha models (KT, Lynx) and again crickets.

I could give rats ass about iTouch or whatever next big thing is in the works, this stuff needs some attention. We are loyal fans with legimate complaints. If I find out there is an Xbox version in the works so help me.

Sburke at his finest, and because this is worth reposting

Steve (Sitting back with a big ole stogie in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other): So Charles, should we add the armor covered arc this year or do we just keep these losers hanging?

Charles (well at least his brain as it sits quitely digesting nutrients in it's jar): gurgle...

Steve: yeah I hate wargamers too. The whole lot of em really need to go find another hobby, just doing our part here to help by driving em nuts enough over these issues to eventually sit up and go outside for a walk.

Charles: gurgle

Steve: What's that, it is only one line of code? Huh same as the hand to hand stuff eh? Well no I still think we can't release that. After all, they would just complain about something else and they really need to get some outside time.

Charles: gurgle gurgle

Steve (pitching near out of his chair in hysterical laughter, eventually sitting back up and drying his eyes): A change log? But we haven't changed anything! Heck I can't even keep straight what I am posting for the fake beta tester avatars I created.

Steve: Oh that is cruel, funny but cruel. That'll keep the forum busy for at least a few days as they vent their spleens. God forbid they ever find out we already have everything created we are gonna release for the next 10 years.

Steve (looking at jar as he holds his nose): You really need to cut back on the refried beans. (Steve absently gazes out the window for a few minutes) You do have to admit it has been good for us. (this last said as Steve looks out the giant bay window of the mansion on their private island in the Caribbean as the nude vollyball tournament continues.) Little do the nerds realize BFC stands for Built for Cash.

Charles: gurgle *snicker* gurgle

Steve: Oh yeah are you gonna visit my farm today?

Steve: Farmville is NOT like that lame a**game we put out for these nerds!

Steve: You unfriended me?!!

You know this whole list of bugs keeps growing and all I hear is a bunch of crickets chirping from BFC.

Except where we provide answers and responses, which as far as I'm aware is in most threads that raise legitimate bugs. If we've missed one please raise it again, and PM me with the thread. It may be worth checking the thread again to make sure we haven't responded, if that's your concern.

There is a major reverse set up bug that had effed up every PBEM QB I have tried with one guy for a week. This has been reported and acknowledged and all I hear is crickets. This on top of dead british tank commanders, half assed alpha models (KT, Lynx) and again crickets.

The reverse setup bug is neither major nor widespread. You hit it a bunch of times, that's terrible and I'm sorry that that happened. That doesn't mean it's so pervasive that we're going to drop weeks of time on getting a hotfix out. We'll fix it, if that's possible, in the next patch, just like any issue.

Steve responded quite thoroughly to the model issue.

Instead of complaining about how we're not responding to your bugs, why not PM me with a link to a bug you're pretty sure is well-supported? I can't read every thread on the forum, much as I'd like to.

I could give rats ass about iTouch or whatever next big thing is in the works, this stuff needs some attention. We are loyal fans with legimate complaints. If I find out there is an Xbox version in the works so help me.

Except, as has been stated multiple times in various forums, WE ARE NOT WORKING on the iPad version of the game. An entirely separate company is doing that.

Again. We try to respond to most bugs, but we're really busy. If there are problems we're not responding to, and you're sure they're issues, please get in touch with me more directly. I can't guarantee that your problem will be hotfixed instantly, but it will get looked at.

And if we've already acknowledged the bug, and we haven't gotten back to you, chances are it's in the pipeline but we don't have a confirmed fix. That's not something we can change just because people are complaining. Bugs need to be *fixed*. That takes time.

Roger that Phil and I appreciate the response. The board is such a random smattering of complaints and bug reports. I can never really determine what is being reported, has been reported or what is in the works. I hope you have better system than me for trcking these things.

Perhaps a locked acknowledged bugs thread could be pinned to the tech support forum. That way we'd know what had been reported, and perhaps get updates on what has been addressed for future updates. At the very least it could operate as a solid reference for oldies to help out newcomers who come across issues. (Sounds like a wiki thing now that I think about it.)

(Edit: by the way, beta testers... is there mantis/bugzilla/issue-reporting-system hidden somewhere where the current state of the patches/updates are actually known?)

Roger that Phil and I appreciate the response. The board is such a random smattering of complaints and bug reports. I can never really determine what is being reported, has been reported or what is in the works. I hope you have better system than me for trcking these things.

We do. I understand the frustration. Obviously it would be nice for me if people weren't getting upset about bugs that have been responded to, or if bugs weren't being missed.

But the amount of time it would take to do more than simply read and post in the relevant thread is actually incredibly prohibitive. Consider the fact that we miss things already given the amount of time we have; then extrapolate that to the amount of time it would take to do more than we currently are.

We also can't run a full time bug explaining operation, which is what we'd need to do if we were to attempt to provide 100% transparency. And even then I suspect that very few people would actually use such a thing. Basically we'd remove someone's (and it would have to be me, or Steve, or Moon, or Charles) ability to do their job for hours out of the week, to provide a list / other mechanic that would help, maybe, a dozen or two people, and prevent a question like yours every few weeks.

Perhaps a locked acknowledged bugs thread could be pinned to the tech support forum. That way we'd know what had been reported, and perhaps get updates on what has been addressed for future updates. At the very least it could operate as a solid reference for oldies to help out newcomers who come across issues. (Sounds like a wiki thing now that I think about it.)

If someone wants to do that and maintain it, more power to them. We can't do it directly.

(Edit: by the way, beta testers... is there mantis/bugzilla/issue-reporting-system hidden somewhere where the current state of the patches/updates are actually known?)

The specifics of this would be covered by their NDA. And mine. :) Suffice it to say this is a software development shop run by professionals that have been doing their respective jobs for a very long time. The requisite tools are in use.

Phil thanks for responding. My question is how did the red button crash bug not get noticed before 1.10 was released? I and others noticed it hours after we purchased CWmod that's what frustrates me about CMBN and CMSF is the obvious bugs slip through the cracks and make it to the patch.

Phil thanks for responding. My question is how did the red button crash bug not get noticed before 1.10 was released? I and others noticed it hours after we purchased CWmod that's what frustrates me about CMBN and CMSF is the obvious bugs slip through the cracks and make it to the patch.

The red button crash bug is relatively rare. The number of people reporting it versus the number playing the game is.... small. To re-frame your question: "How did a small number of testers miss something, when a few members of a group many orders of magnitude larger found it quickly post-release?"

"Obvious" bugs that get missed probably weren't all that obvious.

The specifics of this would be covered by their NDA. And mine. :) Suffice it to say this is a software development shop run by professionals that have been doing their respective jobs for a very long time. The requisite tools are in use.

Fair enough. I wasn't implying that the team didn't have a due process for fixing bugs. Just that there seems to be a communication issue regarding what's fixed in the pipeline and when to expect it.

CM development seems to live very close to the player community (I mean we get level editors) so is going to have a passionate (and generally savvy crowd). Such communities take care of themselves given the right resources.

I understand that new features will be covered by NDA, but I don't imagine issue patches fall under the same protections. My guess is your beta testers have some overview of issues with the public builds that filed and patched for future releases. It would be helpful if known issues and their patch status was posted somewhere prominently on the boards somewhere. It would save a lot of forum drilling for new users (who may be quite casual players).

Sorry if I have caused offense.