Great use of mortars...

I really gotta hand it to winkelreid.. we've been fighting Eroudeville me as Axis him as the US and its been a knock down drag out the whole way through.

Anyways we're having a helluva firefight hedgerow to hedgerow, I've got a StuG III parked up to mine, shelling his, he's got a couple of shermans over on his side. My side even was strafed by a P-47 a couple of times while nearby on his side my 150mm artillery barrage slammed into his forces advance into the town proper. And he had 3, maybe 4 60mm mortars. So I just watch a turn, and wham, a mortar round lands on the back deck of the StuG. Wham, another one lands in the same spot again. I look, a few of the sub systems had gone yellow... rounds land nearby as well, killing troops, but its obvious the tank is being targetted.. Wham.. wham.. two more hit among some misses. I was still very impressed, the range wasnt great but every time I seem to try that on H/Ts it never hits =D

Anyways start the next turn, and the tanks immobilized too.. geez =/

gotta hand it to him tho, great use of mortars

I find smaller mortars are a great way to try for immobilizing enemy tanks now.

They cannot kill them, but if a immobilized enemy tank will take care of your needs, it is worth using the ammo to try and get the results. Not that bad of odds.

As for that scenario, I played it twice, same guy, he thought he had a better battle plan and wanted a second go at it on the Allied side. Personnally, I do not think it is very balenced. The German side has the advantage, even with him playing against me a second time, knowing what I had and where it was basically located, it was still pretty easy to take control of what the scenario seems to require as for victory conditions for the German.

So if he is able to make a real fight of it for control of the town, I give him praise for what he is adcheiving.

Vanir - 11 wins, 3 draws, 6 losses... in CMBN PBEMs

Everyone else - they were 60mms in DF. Winkelreid has the US, I agree the Germans are strong but he's played it very well, we've both really gouged eachother bad. A lot of luck on his side though, and some poor decisions on my part. Plus my assault howitzer (the StuH) threw a track in Eroudeville proper, in a position where it couldnt shoot anything...

You may have parked your StuG on top of one of winkelreid's TRPs.

nope - i already thought to court martial the guys opening fire because i gave them orders to open fire only after the germans had crossed the hedgerow/bocage ... but the guys opened on themselves. and success proved them right. i love TacAI :D

btw - i still rely on the 155er as being one of the best anti tank guns :D just as it was in CMx1 as some of those who played against me then might still remember ;)

Mortars are indeed great for anti-vehicle use. Especially against open topped vehicles. In my current PBEM I was having some trouble with a Marder I which had a long and thin view of my side where I had my tanks, effectively locking them down from moving. What I did was take one of my 81 mm mortars which was too low on ammo to be used effectively for indirect fire, moved it behind bocage in direct line of fire of the marder and let them loose. It took them a couple of rounds but with 2 rounds left they got a direct hit on the opening and knocked it out. Was a great moment for me, my opponent might not be as pleased however. He lost his other Marder to one of my stuarts before it could do anything, here's hoping he doesn't have more of them. :)

could 60mm mortars realistically throw a stug track?

It would probably have to impact very close to or on the track, but my SWAG is yes. A 60mm mortar shell is pretty close in size and explosive power to a hand grenade, and I've read many accounts of tanks being immobilized by a hand grenade detonating close or on the track.

Definitely not the easiest thing to do, mind you. But certainly not impossible.

in another arty on tank incident, Im PBEMing NEDforce as the Brits (great scenario) and a Panther sitting on a level spot next to a barn thats being engaged by a 6 lber and 75mm Sherman gets a top turret partial penetration at one point. Thing is it was in the middle of a 25 lber artillery barrage I ordered, and Im pretty sure thats what hit the top turret. Not completely sure it didnt do anything, but the panthers still operating as far as moving its turret, etc right now..