Building mods on the horizon?

I know Tanks is working on some splendid looking Normandy buildings but we haven't heard from him in a while - buildings are looking somewhat out of place compared to the beautiful terrain and vehicle mods we are using now..

I fully agree. I never paid much attention to it, but in my last battle I was suddenly struck by a rather ugly, little building. Out of place, like you say.

Working on buildings is fun and a little bit awful at the same time. At least with the independent buildings you don't have to concern yourself with modular building balcony railings. :D;)

That really sums it up, I get my share of both. Some other brave soul is going to have to do the modular buildings, I'm not even close to half way through the independent buildings.

Woo-hoo, this thing's going viral fast, mark my words! :D

Most of these shots are from the most recent barn-type buildings, but the other bunch of residential models are just as awesome!

I hope I'm not putting in any spoilers, but the more observant among you will notice Tanks has found a way to circumvent/eliminate the dreaded building 'base.' How cool is that?!

Friggin awesome. You guys add so much value to the game it's hard to express the appreciation. Can't wait to see these on the repository.

+1 to that

I hope I'm not putting in any spoilers, but the more observant among you will notice Tanks has found a way to circumvent/eliminate the dreaded building 'base.' How cool is that?!

The looked sooo nice I did not even notice the absence of the building bases. Very cool!

I was really happy to find a way to hide the base, but there is a pretty big issue with 4 of the buildings, and I'd like to get a consensus (if that's even possible) on how to handle them.

The only way to remove the base on these 4 is to remove the inner floor as well, which means whatever terrain the building sits on will replace the inner floor. It's not a pretty site viewed from within the building, but the outside looks much better without that base, and it fits in with all the other baseless buildings.

Option 1 is to just leave the base there as it is.

Option 2 is to remove the base and inner floor.

Option 3 is to have optional files, so people can choose which version they prefer. I figure each building would need 4 optional files, the base and 3 wall BMPs.

I'm going to guess that people will unabashedly ask for 3, 'cause they loves them some options, but I would vote 2, as I don't particularly care if its a dirt floor.

LOL I'd say that was right on the money. I'd go with option 2 as well. I don't look inside the buildings all that often.

One question though. Have you noticed any impact on unit movement with the bases removed? Be curious if it has an impact on the TAC AI's ability to maneuver particularly for vehicles.

Just to illustrate the difference, here is a screenshot of a building with a base and one without:

base.jpg

nobase.jpg

Without the base, I can add foliage to help it blend in with the ground better, it wouldn't look good to have it growing out of the top of the base.

But here's the downside on those 4 buildings:

nobaseinterior.jpg

Aris' great terrain mod, but in somebody's living room.