New screenshots

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Ah, I couldn't help myself! I just got a look at some of the Bad Boys of the battlefield and thought you all would like a looksy smile.gif The shots themselves are nothing special, but they do show off the vehicle details nicely! Still some tweaking to be done on them, but they can already brew up a phalanx of Shermans quite easily.

www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/cmshots_idx.html

Steve

Extremely cool. I just love the entire Tiger I texture (especially the kill rings.)

Check out bigstuff2.jpg guys. It's damned nice. (We don't have the Tiger in our current build so this is the first time I've seen it too.. )

Nice wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest PatB_TGN

Nice Cats. Big and mean looking. Nice work!!! Those textures came out really nice.

Where's my airstrikes? I ain't going up against them suckers with M4's smile.gif Gimme some Jackson's and I might do the dance of death with them cats. *grin*

-Patrick

Guest Battlefront

Funny thing happened the first time I put in the JTs. I matched them against 2xM10s at 1000m. I figured they would be brewed up faster than the turn took to compile. But NOT SO!! In fact, one of the JTs was put out of action!! Here is why...

The M10 has a really fast rate of fire, and a none-too-shabby gun. The JT's 128mm gun is deadly to say the least, but it has a very slow RoF. So before the JT had shot its second round, the M10s had hit one of the beasts about 5 or 6 times, one of which immobilized it. There were more hits the next turn and one busted up its main gun. Meanwhile, the other JT was trying to get range and distance (usually at least 2 shots), and since the RoF is so slow, this took a lot of time. The 4th shot or so wasted one of the M10s and then it had to take aim and make adjustments for the second one. Two shots brewed that one up.

The poor RoF of the JT was certainly a prolem here, but so too was the battlefield. 1000x1000m with a single bit of terrain or elevation on it smile.gif The M10s would likely have turned tail and run in a normal setting, but the AI didn't see any better option (there weren't ANY options, good or bad smile.gif), so it just sat there and hoped for the best.

Although this "battle" was artificial, it certainly shows why RoF is such a critical part of warfare. Any game that doesn't DIRECTLY simulate such a factor is really missing something.

Steve

"Meanwhile, the other JT was trying to get range and distance (usually at least 2 shots), and since the RoF is so slow, this took a lot of time."

Not that I want to make the JTs any more powerful, but it seems to be that one of the benefits of such a massive gun is that the higher velocity of the shell gives it a flatter trajectory, therefore making ranging less difficult. Is this true? Is this taken into account? Just a thought...

Sage

They look very nice indeed.

I just wish you would touch up the graphics of the burning buildings and the wrecks - those need work. The burning wrecks look like smokestacks too me and really takes away from all the other nice artwork in the game. Just my two cents. But keep up the good work.

Umm.. Kazom brewed up tanks DO look like they look in CM by being on fire and giving off volumous clouds of smoke in real life too. (Remember that fuel, rubber (lots of rubber in WW2 tanks), clothes AND flesh and ammo are all just fuel to fires. You'd better believe there's lots of funeral pyres on a WW2 battlefield wink.gif ).

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think a burning tank looks like? I've seen numerous shots of knocked out tanks (sometimes with burnt crew inside or hanging half out of the tanks and either actively on fire or burnt to a crisp) and I consider that the brewed up tanks look very much like what I have seen in books.

What do you think they should look like/should be changed?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

The destroyed tanks look fine. The problem is the smoke is too straight and vertical. There should be a little drift from the wind. In fact i think the smoke screen smoke looks more like burning wreck smoke to me than those vertical towers of smoke. I also thought the fire around the burning houses looked like a fence with a little chimney of smoke coming up in the middle. I think it could be better. Everything else impresses me very much about the game, and I do care more about the realism of the gameplay than the graphics, but the graphics are so nice too, I just think the smoke should look good too. I am also very impressed with the quick feedback you guys provide to questions. It shows you really care about the game.

BTW I have already pre-ordered the game so it will not stop me from playing this game smile.gif

Guest Battlefront

Sage,

Yes, all this and more is taken into account. However, at 1000m it doesn't take much error to miss smile.gif Hitting on the 2nd or 3rd shot is generally pretty good at this range from what I know.

Kazom, while I agree that burning tanks and terrain could look better, our hands are tied. We can't afford the VRAM to have 2 sets of graphics for each tank (one pristine and one scorched and busted), we don't have about 3 man months to make busted up models (yeah, that's what it would take...) even if we did, we have to watch the polygon count for fire and smoke animations, etc.

For what its worth, most tanks when brewed up, on a windless day, look pretty much the same as the ones in CM. The big difference is that on a windy day the colum would not go staight up. But to have smoke go in any way but straight up would require more programming time than it is worth.

So what you see is what you are going to get smile.gif Also keep in mind that it looks MUCH better in person.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 09-16-99).]

Q: Uh, if you were a Sherman tank commander, what would you do?

A: a) Change pants

B) Regret skipping Sunday School, or

c) Burn.

The correct answer, of course, is:

d) Wake up from nightmare and swear off

cheap wine.

This is clearly a trick question. It would be impossible for a Sherman tank commander to survive long enough to get this close.

What do I win?

Damn--I wish I could remember where I read this, probably one of my Time-Life WWII books.

In Spring of '45, an American unit called on the German defenders of a village (I believe it was one of the Ruhr pockets) to surrender. Well, as several German infantry units were turning in their weapons and assembling, three Jagdtigers come rumbling up and assemble in a parade-ground line. Then the crews climb out and assemble at attention in front of the vehicles, while their commander addresses them with a brief speech, then goes up to each man to say a few words, shakes each man's hand, and then presents himself, the crews, and the Jagdtigers to an astonished American officer who watched the entire procession.

Can you imagine the feeling, though, watching those three behemoths clanking towards you? Could you help but wonder, "Gee, I hope they don't change their minds about surrendering at the last second!"

Dar Steckelberg

"Can you imagine the feeling, though, watching those three behemoths clanking towards you? Could you help but wonder, "Gee, I hope they don't change their minds about surrendering at the last second!""

If they didn't that would sure be a good waste of german infantry. I could see it now. The jagdtigers come roaring down the slope MGs ablaze. The US infantry spooks, and opens up on the cowering german POWs who just want to surrender and not die in the lost war. 100's of german POWs are slaughtered due a moronic move by a JT commander. A few US infantry are killed by the MG and HE fire but a bunch of german POWs are also killed. Then some brave US zook personel attack the JTs from the rear as they roar into the US postion, and get themselves wasted in the process. Remeber that a JT is extrememly vulnerable to infantry attacks. It is a long range tank killer, not a close assualt gun, and would have to have infantry support.

dano6

Another thing, I were a tank commander with a group of 8-10 sherman 76s (common by the end of the war) I would stand and fight if I encountered the 2 or 3 JTs. It would end fast for the JTs. Even at the described range of 1000m. The shermans would easily immobilize both JTs with the first 3-4 shots from each sherman. Then I would move for the flank and take them out. The limited traverse gun could not target the shermans as they moved to the flank once the JTs were immobilized.

Remember the rate of fire thing. The JTs would probably kill 2-3 shermans. But the shermans would probably get off 32-40 shots for the JTs 4-6. If 10-14 hit each JT. The chance of hitting the tracks is high and immobilizing each also you could disable the main gun. Then you have 2-3 dead JTs.

dano6

Fionn,

In answer to the following comments:

----------------------

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think a burning tank looks like? I've seen

numerous shots of knocked out tanks (sometimes with burnt crew inside or hanging

half out of the tanks and either actively on fire or burnt to a crisp) and I consider that the brewed up tanks look very much like what I have seen in books.

What do you think they should look like/should be changed?

----------------------

I feel that the 'knocked out' vehicles should have a lot of debris scattered around the wreck - battlefields are huge trash dumps with stuff scattered all over the place!

Oh yeah, the Tigers look mah-velous! (Reminds me of the model I made as a kid...)

I'm feeling verklempt, talk amongst yourselves...

Buddy,

Again. I think the answer to your request is.. Gotta watch the polygon count mate wink.gif. Get back to us when you have 1.5 Gig CPU and a 128 MB 3d card (in about 4 years that will almost certainly be possible.)

Moon,

Yup those 88s sure are nice aren't they? I've been having fun with my 88 L/71s for a while now just laughing maniacally as entire Sherman battalions are slaughtered by a platoon of Tiger IIs. It's quite funny to watch really as the tacAI backs the Shermans back into cover and I then order them forward past their burning coleagues once again wink.gif.

Ps. That's not a recommended tactic. I was just having some fun.

------------------

Fionn Kelly