Combat Mission: TOUCH for iPad

Looking at the positive side, I think this bodes well for the inclusion of full game replay in the next full game release of the PC version of CMx2 (i.e., CM:Battle of the Bulge).

I haven't had time to do much more than download CM:Touch and give it a quick look (%&$! work...), but I suspect there may be more clues to upcoming game additions and UI changes to the PC CMx2 games in CM:Touch...

I encouraged my brother-in-law to buy CMBN (in fact he bought both Mac and PC versions after finding his Mac Book Air too slow), but he is struggling to gets to grips with the game.

Would CM Touch make for a more gentle introduction into the world of Combat Mission? Or are the missions just as tough as in CMBN?

Personally, I think it's a decent introduction. The UI is simpler, the scenarios smaller, which means that you can repeat them fairly quickly to "master" some basic tactics. Don't expect to win right away (I lost my first couple of battles), but you can rinse/repeat quickly.

There are some differences with CMBN though which means that your experience with CMTouch won't be directly translatable, though.

Can you connect an iPad to a larger monitor or TV?

(I find it almost impossible to enjoy CM on my 15" laptop now that I have 24" and 30" screens, and can even connect it to widescreen TV's.)

And yes, I was convinced it was an April Fool's joke - given the age and interests of the average Apple user.

Am I the only one who worries this could be the beginning of the end for "realistic" wargames from BF?

The big money as we know is in much more superficial faster moving games - the sort of games that appeal to the Apple demographic. :(

Can you connect an iPad to a larger monitor or TV?

Sure. A $30 dongle from Apple will connect your iPad to any HDTV with an HDMI port, and you can view whatever is on your iPad screen, on your TV.

If you have an Apple TV hooked up to your TV, you can even do the same wirelessly, via Airplay.

It's pretty sweet.

Am I the only one who worries this could be the beginning of the end for "realistic" wargames from BF?

How? Unless it makes a billion dollars and Charles and Steve decide to sail around the world on a yacht made of money, I can't see them stopping doing what they've been doing for 15 years.

This was done by a third-party developer and, as Moon intimated in another thread, there are even bigger things on the horizon involving the regular game.

So: I wouldn't worry.

The big money as we know is in much more superficial faster moving games - the sort of games that appeal to the Apple demographic

Funny. It never even occurred to me that there might be anything negative in this move. :) I don't have a Pad of any description. To me, they're just hi-tec fashion accessories and I'm not interested in getting into that particular money pit. Fine if you've got tons of disposable income though. (I do love my Kindle reader though. :D) However, I suspect that the amount of time BFC's coding team spent on this is fairly minimal. Think of this as a nice little earner that will support BFC to go on and make other serious wargames for us. ;)

And yes, I was convinced it was an April Fool's joke - given the age and interests of the average Apple user.

The big money as we know is in much more superficial faster moving games - the sort of games that appeal to the Apple demographic. :(

Jeez Erwin do you ever stop bitching:)

Am I the only one who worries this could be the beginning of the end for "realistic" wargames from BF?(

BFC does list their game forums in order of priority, and the Touch forum is at the top of the main page above CMBN. So, yeah I think this is the end.

:P

@Erwin, @Vanir Ausf B

Have you guys played the game yet? I have not - I don't own an iPad and my friend does not want to get it because he has to save his time to play my PBEM turns:)

Thing is are you sure its bad? Really, I would first assume that they have brought a good game to the iPad and perhaps its first serious game (i.e. first non twitchy game for the iPad). If they venture to bring out an Android version I would pick it up just to see...

@Vanif Ausf B - yes I suspect that you might have had your sarcasm bit flipped on. I have your shoes right here:D

Thing is are you sure its bad? Really, I would first assume that they have brought a good game to the iPad and perhaps its first serious game (i.e. first non twitchy game for the iPad). If they venture to bring out an Android version I would pick it up just to see...

Don't know where you get the idea that iPad games are only "twitchy." There are a lot of pretty cool "non-twitchy" games out there for iOS of various flavors, including some very well done turn-based strategy games. Most of them to date have been more abstract, IGOYOUGO type games -- the kind of thing you used to see on PCs in the early 90s (as a sidebar, they just released Spaceward Ho! for iPad, one of my FAVORITE turn-based strategy games from the '90s).

But a strategy 3D tactical Wargame with a strong basis in realistic combat tactics? Don't know another one of those available for iOS. Then again, there's not that many of this type of game out there for PCs, either...

Don't know where you get the idea that iPad games are only "twitchy." There are a lot of pretty cool "non-twitchy" games out there for iOS of various flavors, including some very well done turn-based strategy games.

There you go I stand corrected. Shows little time I play games on my phone / tablet.

My main point still stands - my assumption would be that a game BF created would be good, not bad.