OK its nice and all that ...

But lets face it the iPad version is never going to be as good as the PC one and worried this will be a distraction (if its real of course) for BF. We have to wait long enough for modules now ...:( - still if it proves to be a cash cow for BF its good for all I suppose.

Cash cow? That sounds like the FIRST step on the way to DEAD cows! Bloated cows littering the landscape! Men hiding behind them, bullets thudding into them, gasses, er, outgassing from them!

(Cow) tongue firmly in cheek.

Ken

Jeezz dont tell me the ipad version has cows ?

But lets face it the iPad version is never going to be as good as the PC one...

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder.

Speaking as someone who has had years of experience in PC games and who has jumped into the iPad world with both feet, my observation is that iPad games often have some attributes that tend to make them better than PC games, although of course for any given game there's no guarantee.

(1) The limited input modalities mean that the UI has to be good for the app to be good. There's no nonsense like "Press G to throw a grenade, but B for a Satchel charge and S for a molotov cocktail" (yes, Commandos, i AM looking at you.) Again, there's obviously no guarantee but developers who want to release a quality product are sort of FORCED to polish the UI. And that's a good thing.

(2) Having the game with you everywhere is completely life-changing.

(3) Having multiplayer turn-based games with you everywhere is completely life-changing. If I'm waiting at the car dealer, and they have wi-fi, I can play a move in my chess game, or a round of Battle Academy, or - soon - Combat Mission. I don't have to wait until I get home. This. Is. Freaking. Huge.

(4) If the game has Gamecenter integration, then the way you find opponents for online play goes from "Somewhat annoying bespoke thing where I have to track individual passwords for each publisher" to "touch this button and you're playing."

(5) Generally speaking, the graphics on the platform are way better than you would expect them to be.

None of this is to say that all iPad games are better than all PC games. But the platform has some real strengths, and I think we're beginning to see developers start to exploit those strengths.

In other words, while a game isn't better just because it's on the iPad I don't think it's a given that PC games are by definition 'better' either.

Speaking as someone who has had years of experience in PC games and who has jumped into the iPad world with both feet, my observation is that iPad games often have some attributes that tend to make them better than PC games, although of course for any given game there's no guarantee.

One thing I do really like about the iPad is that there are a lot more turn-based games and more traditional non-action / non-twitch games on it. Whether that continues to hold as the hardware gets better, we shall see.

One thing I do really like about the iPad is that there are a lot more turn-based games and more traditional non-action / non-twitch games on it.

Like what?

Sorry I may be a little to Combat Mission "centric" and I am sorry I don't know what else out there like turn base strategy games are available for my iPad2? (I am also cheap and tend to only look for the free downloads. What I am missing?)

thanks

Like what?

Sorry I may be a little to Combat Mission "centric" and I am sorry I don't know what else out there like turn base strategy games are available for my iPad2? (I am also cheap and tend to only look for the free downloads. What I am missing?)

Not counting the just-released Battle Academy, which at $20 is probably out of your comfort range, any turn-based wargamer should play and love (ranked in my personal order of goodliness):

Uniwar

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion

Mecho Wars

Great Little Wargame

Crimson: Steam Pirates

Battle for Wesnoth HD

Warlords Classic

Battle Fleet

The War of Eustrath HD (this one might juuuuuuust be 'below the line' for me)

There are others, I have no doubt. Most of them are not "combat simulations" by any stretch of the imagination - they're more in the Advance Wars style of play. But they're still damn fine strategy games.

There are also a significant number of RPG games that have wargame-like mechanics that I'm not including -- Avadon - The Black Fortress is probably the best known of these.

[Moon/Steve feel free to delete if you don't want us discussing this on the Battlefront board.]

Like what?

thanks

Well a lot of them are board game conversions, which may or may not be to your taste. As far as wargames go, the only one I can really recommend is Battle Academy, which has the main downside of being $19.99. I'll have to profess to being shocked that CM:iPad is releasing for $4.99!

Some of my favorites board game conversions are:

• Small World (although the fact that it only supports games with one opponent -- AI or human) reduces the strategy from the actual boardgame when played with 3 or more players.
  • Elder Sign -- which is a Cthulu type board game.
  • Neuroshima Hex-- which is kind of a tactical puzzle game.

There's a whole bunch of other board game conversions out there -- including Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Ghost Stories, and Catan. You can track what's coming out soon at the iOS Board Game blog at Boadgame Geek. There's a pretty good list of what's available at iPad Boardgames.

...and worried this will be a distraction (if its real of course) for BF. We have to wait long enough for modules now ...:( - still if it proves to be a cash cow for BF its good for all I suppose.

This should not be much of a distraction at all. This is something they can hire others to do. There are companies that take people's ideas and turn them into apps.

This should not be much of a distraction at all. This is something they can hire others to do. There are companies that take people's ideas and turn them into apps.

Why split the profit with someone else?

If this takes of it can be huge for BF.

Yeah, Campaigns are planned for future in-app purchases.

Make sure to post reviews/ratings in the AppStore/iTunes. The more reviews and ratings we get, the higher the chance for the app to be picked up and featured by Apple! Once that happens, I promise everyone who voted a free scenario pack! :)

Martin

Make sure to post reviews/ratings in the AppStore/iTunes. The more reviews and ratings we get, the higher the chance for the app to be picked up and featured by Apple! Once that happens, I promise everyone who voted a free scenario pack! :)

Martin

A likely story Moon, as if we're ever going to believe you again. The nerve of BFC ... issuing an OBVIOUS, OVER THE TOP April Fools Gag ... that turned out not to be a gag at all.

How dare you!

Well you're not pulling the wool over my eyes again. I want evidence damnit, evidence that you'll give me a free scenario pack if I vote on the App Store ... which of course I intend to do anyway but that's not the point.

That being said ... what resources are being used / made available for future scenarios? If you tell me that rune is involved I may never play the game. Specifically, are they all going to be "in house" or will users be able to create scenarios?

Joe

Martin

OK, Martin! I'm going to hold you to that. Just posted a 5 star review for you guys (along with a nice review).

I really do hope this game does well. I'm one of those people that asked about getting CM running on iOS a few years ago! It seems such a natural environment for this game. So thrilled to see that Battlefront have dipped their toe in the iOS waters!

Please continue to support this game with additional missions and campaigns!

Quick question: Does the GameCenter implementation support a pseudo-PBEM type of play? My brother and I used to play CM with PBEM so we could take our time and squeeze in a turn or two each day. I invited him to play CM:T and we started a game, but we weren't sure about what would happen when we left the game.

Oh, and one more thought...don't bother building a CM:T mission editor into the game. It's likely going to be a lot of investment for nearly zero gain. If you're going to do a mission editor for public consumption, then make it a standalone piece of software with either a wifi or iTunes sync to the game. I'd imagine that even that is a lot of work. Personally, I'd rather that the BF team focus on making CM:T even better and building out the missions and campaigns.

Thanks again!

:cool:

--DotComCTO