Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Display problem on Thinkpad

This game (CM) was running great, both on my home system and my IBM380Z Thinkpad (PII-300, NeoMagic 256AV, Win 98, 64Mb RAM). Then a bad thing happened.

I connected to an external InFocus LP425 LCD projector. This does not reset the onboard resolution in any way that I know of, I just send the video external.

Since that connection, CM displays in a very coarse, full-screen mode that does not work correctly. Alt-X brings up the Exit, Yes/No screen, but then the cursor disappears, and the only out is Ctrl-Alt-Del. The map "tears" with cursor movement exposing text beneath. On booting or exiting windows, the evil empire flag ("Windows is shutting down...")also displays in what appears to be an outsized 800x600 or even 640v480 display, though it is ful screen. I normally run 1024x768.

Since this began I have installed the IBM update to NeoMagic, DirectX 7, and reinstalled the demo, all to no avail. I have searched for driver conflicts and run all system tools- nada. Any clues? The normal Windows display (desktop, apps) is perfect; only DOS apps are oversized and pixellated. Please help! I want my CM back!

(PS: I am on the road until Friday night, so I do not have the Win 98 CD available).

Ok, although I have sympathy for your plight, the very thought of getting to play CM on a wall size screen with one of those in-focus projectors is enough to make me drool! I was using one to prepare a presentation recently and, er, evaluated it on some other, er, non-work related applications. But CM!

Hope you can get it worked out...

Guest Big Time Software

Windows never likes to give up its secrets of how it works, does it? smile.gif

No clue. However, my thinking here is that there is some preference setting for fullscreen mode resolution (either from DOS or Windows) that is switching to a resolution higher than the screen can display. No idea how to fix this, but it is probably due to the projector. You should also make sure you don't have custom Windows cursors, as that will screw things up.

Steve

First, the drooling is quite justified. The LCD worked great until I swapped back to the presentation computer. It was... indescribable. I should qualify for VFW membership based on the experience.

Re: my windows/DOS settings, I guess this really is a windows support issue (hah, hah). This is precisely my surmise; but I have no idea what really controls the display size in DOS. I am not using custom cursor controls- read about that already. It's curious that the windows display settings are OK, running at 1024x768 just fine, but that something's changed for DOS.

One of the Windows troubleshooter's steps was to try running the DOS application from the DOS mode. I tried this, but received an error message when I entered the .exe, that this app couldn't be run from DOS. Does CM require windows in the "background", as it were?