HTML Mapping Tool

OK, next question

How do I find out the X,Y co-ords of my CMBN start icon on the toolbar (I also run Win7 and have the icon pinned at the bottom of the screen)

P

Yes, I had trouble with this at first, too. Here's my way:

Right-click on the CMBN launch icon on your desktop. On the menu, select "pin to start menu."

That will make a CMBN launch icon appear in exactly the same spot on your start menu every time.

Next, download and install Irfanview (freeware, great for viewing and converting images, has a zillion uses).

Click your "start" button and then just take a screenshot of your whole desktop.

Launch Irfanview and open the screenshot. Read the status line in Irfanview as you muse over the image, and find the exact x,y coordinates of your CMBN start icon. That's the setting you want to remember and write down because you'll use it every time in the HTML mapping tool.

Well, it's the same exact process except you just specify a different x,y location for your next 400m grid square in settings.js. You can build your squares out adjacent to the one you just did, or plop one down thousands of meters away. It's just a matter of numbering the x,y coordinates according to the system shown in the help file, so the tool knows where you want the square to go.

Here's what's cool about this: Say you've mapped this 1,1 square. Now say there's an area with a church tower 1.5 km away that you want to map, and a forest 800m away in between that will affect LOS, but you don't necessarily care about mapping the intervening terrain. Just make a larger "master map" area in CMBN (just plain default grass) and then tell the tool where to place your mapped, detailed squares. The trick is just to work out how you identify the squares and make sure they're situated in the proper places on your CMBN map.