Ambush markers and choosing targets

I'm currently playing a PBEM game of Riesberg as the germans, and set up one of my squads in what I had hoped would be an anti-tank ambush. The guys had a couple of 'fausts, and were firing at an ambush marker. The Sherman drove right over the marker, about 40m away, presenting its side to the squad, which promptly stood up and fired at some infantry 100 m away. Luckily it happened near the end of the minute, so I can try to retarget it, but it would be nice if units would have a bit more preference to target what trips the ambush marker...

-John Hough

Guest Big Time Software

This is a targeting problem that is specific to PFs. There was a big thread on this last week and it is something we have fixed. Basically your guys don't "look" for the tank frequently enough, and therefore it can slip by if going fast.

Steve

I don't think it was going all that fast... I haven't gotten all that good at being able to distinguish speeds, but it was moving over open ground, not road, and I don't think it was going at 'fast' speed.. It took about a minute to go somewhere around 50-60 m.

-John Hough

Guest L Tankersley

C'mon, John, if my bazooka guys get sent to the Twilight Zone, it's only fair that your PF-totin' Volksgrenadiers fall asleep at the switch. wink.gif

IIRC, the Sherman was moving normally during the turn you mention, but I accelerated to fast speed to get out of LOS early the next turn when I saw your squad like 30 meters away (!!).

That Sherman has led a charmed life. Early on it stopped behind a hill hulldown to a hidden 88, and it was another Sherman that got wacked. Later on, the TC got killed by a HMG42 and the tank just sat there shocked for about 20 seconds while a PF-armed Volks SMG squad moved into position, and recovered just in time to back away and rout the squad. Now they race obliviously past the antitank ambush. Ain't war grand?

Leland J. Tankersley