Fan-funded Initiative

There are lots of stories cropping up of game developers using websites like Kickstarter to use fans to fund their new projects. I think Battlefront should do the same. You guys want more flavour objects? How about everyone donate 5-10$? What that SS smock? Donate 1$...etc.

Eh urm now you see... crowdsourcing ≠ DLC packs. It makes more sense when you have a million dollar project but you don't have a million dollars at hand. It also helps to be a very famous designer like Schafer or Fargo that has sold millions of games in the past. An SS smock is hardly a million dollar project.

A better use of Kickstarter would be for something like Combat Mission Fulda Gap. If a certain funding goal is reached, then BFC could safely afford to hire extra staff to work on the extra project, while not slowing the development of their main lines.

A better use of Kickstarter would be for something like Combat Mission Fulda Gap. If a certain funding goal is reached, then BFC could safely afford to hire extra staff to work on the extra project, while not slowing the development of their main lines.

CM FG I'll kick in for that!!!

Some cardboard wargame publishers use a system whereby players commit to buying a product IF it is produced, and if there are sufficient pre-orders, that game is developed and published.

You do have to give a CC, but it is NOT charged until the game is actually published.

Usually, if 500 players make that commitment that is sufficient to get the game published. Of course it's a lot cheaper to produce cardboard than code.

IF there were (say) 3,000-5,000 CM fans who would commit to buying certain modules @ $30 per unit...

But, I think BF already considered this...

I'll gladly kick in for a 64bit PC version of CMBN plus gladly buy the 64 bit version. I'd also kick in to patch some of the shortcomings of the game. Such as pathfinding, lack of triggers and some of the other problems that have been beat to death on the forum. Wow what a game we would have then.

I'll gladly kick in for a 64bit PC version of CMBN plus gladly buy the 64 bit version. I'd also kick in to patch some of the shortcomings of the game. Such as pathfinding, lack of triggers and some of the other problems that have been beat to death on the forum. Wow what a game we would have then.

A 64bit version may be in the pipeline.

"Originally Posted by Phil Culliton

That would only really be possible under 64-bit operating systems, and it would require a separate 64-bit version of the game. That may happen at some time in the future but it would essentially double the effort to test and release the game, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Instead we instructed the operating system to allow the game to use as big of an address space as it could allow for a 32-bit application. This depends on the operating system in question, and in some cases on user settings."

A cardboard wargame co can make a profit on $15K. I would think that is a fraction of the cost to program and produce a module like CW.

Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if BF could get enuff $ via "test" presales that would determine what they produce next.

I would pay about 15% more for CM Fulda Gap than I do for current BFC products.

Right around '75-'79. Maybe even earlier.

I would pay up front by a year or so for the chance to fight those battles.

Maybe send a copy of Red Storm Rising to Charles to read. :D

Team Yankee or The Ten Thousand - both by Harold Coyle

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34570.Team_Yankee

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49592.The_Ten_Thousand

Coyle's stuff was interesting theoretically, but post-Team Yankee it was mildly formulaic plot-wise. Sad, as the non-plot of Team Yankee was one of its charms. Much more immersive than the Dixon Saga, with its wild flings with news reporters and whatnot.

Coyle's stuff was interesting theoretically, but post-Team Yankee it was mildly formulaic plot-wise. Sad, as the non-plot of Team Yankee was one of its charms. Much more immersive than the Dixon Saga, with its wild flings with news reporters and whatnot.

Ya, and don't forget the chicks in combat. Harold's books got PC real quick after Team Yankee. I was waiting for the Oprah reference and Bullyproofing chapters. I stopped reading him and went to Bond. This endless "chicafacation" of everything from warfare to sports has ruined it all.

Maybe send a copy of Red Storm Rising to Charles to read. :D

Noooooooo! That was a no more than a NATO wet dream. One that NATO itself probably didn't buy. It was just feelgood PR for the American taxpayer.

Somewhat closer to reality was Red Army by Ralph Peters, who was an actual intelligence analyst for the US Army.

Michael

Noooooooo! That was a no more than a NATO wet dream. One that NATO itself probably didn't buy. It was just feelgood PR for the American taxpayer.

Somewhat closer to reality was Red Army by Ralph Peters, who was an actual intelligence analyst for the US Army.

Michael

Excellent read. Also enjoyed First Clash

http://www.amazon.com/First-Clash-Combat-Close-Up-World/dp/0425107566/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331983257&sr=1-1

"Originally written as an official manual in 1985. This book details the efforts of a Canadian mechanized brigade to hold up the Soviet advance for 48 hours during the early stages of WWIII in Central Europe. The text is focused at the Battle Group/Combat Team level, following the activity from the assembly area to performing a withdrawal under pressure."

Cold War (70's-80's) and Arab Israeli conflict (1948-2006), would pay to see those on my monitor. Also Early War 39-40, and Italy + Aegean, if BF could franchise these out with money provided by supporters I'd even pay a regular monthly direct debit, no questions. We really have to put our money where our mouth is, otherwise at this rate I'll be playing CMAK (Combat Mission Assault at Kursk) when I retire!

I´d donate for BFC getting away from the approach "it´s our game, we decide only" and instead open their products up as Bohemia did for their ARMA games. Well..there´s so many modders, Graphic artists and coders out there who would involve for free and just for the fun of it, isn´t it? ;)

Now back to ARMA2 i44 mod, which is currently more fun to me than CMBN/CW..., as much as I hate to admit that.

Excellent read. Also enjoyed First Clash

"Originally written as an official manual in 1985. This book details the efforts of a Canadian mechanized brigade to hold up the Soviet advance for 48 hours during the early stages of WWIII in Central Europe. The text is focused at the Battle Group/Combat Team level, following the activity from the assembly area to performing a withdrawal under pressure."

Red Army and First Clash are both great books.

The former also suffered from slight over-characterization (nothing near Coyle's, of course) but the details were fantastic - the battalion airmobile assault storyline in particular was amazing, engrossing, and believable. The smaller vignettes - which generally introduced a minor character and then ended on a cliff-hanger (or worse) - were usually nearly perfect.

The latter was probably the first WWIII-themed book I read. Considering the Vietnam material I spent my childhood engrossed in I actually thought of it as light, relatively happy reading. :) It is also rather fantastic - there's a slight whiff of "best case scenario" to it, in my opinion - but otherwise it's brutally detailed. It definitely works as a training manual - it's basically a wargame in a book. Wonderful stuff.

I'd pay out some pretty serious cabbage to fast-track the Soviet/Axis war, including Axis minor countries. 1941-45. Triggers for the AI. With specific terrain models for battles that needed them (Stalingrad and Berlin being the obvious ones).

Barring that, I'd also like to see a Market-Garden module with rounded out Allied OOBs and weird German units like Naval infantry. Triggers for the AI. Urban and Dutch terrain a must. All by next week.

Oh, and triggers for the AI. I'd pay extra for that, too.