Forced March Morale Loss

It will generally last a few turns, or to put it another way, take a few turns to recover from the loss.

But there are a few factors that can distort this:

The surrender of an enemy nation - as this will boost your units' morale.

The surrender of a friendly nation - it has the opposite effect.

Plus the supply status of this unit, and whether or not it is commanded by a HQ.

• 3 months later...

Hello Amadeus ^^ ,

Sometimes you just need forced march because there is no railroad around or supplys is too low to allow the use of one (partisans), or you don't have the MPPs, or to advance far behind enemy lines (motorized corps), or to put artillery units in the right spot without losing a turn moving it... :) .

Ah sorry, my bad ^^ ,

- I think it's good as it is because when operating units, morale loss lasts only 1 turn if you have an HQ nearby while forced march have more long-lasting effects. It sure is better to travel by train but then you need to reorganize units/logistical supply/command chain, send them to the front and have all heavy equipment follow.

- There is also the fact that operating allows for travels of thousands of kilometers while forced march is more in the hundreds. Completely changing geography/climate for a unit, you'll need some time to adapt to new conditions :) .

- Well, maybe we could have a script that increase morale when german units are operated in France (wine sun and women :D) but being sent to Russia is always a morale hit :P .

Hope it helps !

...morale loss lasts only 1 turn if you have an HQ nearby while forced march have more long-lasting effects...

Really, I always thought it is the same recovering of morale loss. Is this elucidated in the manual?

Anyway many thanks...makes some points clearer.

It's the same morale loss whether they've operated or forced march.

However, if you've forced march for more than one turn, then the morale loss will be heavier. In which case, catching the train is definitely a better option.

@ Bill101,

Thanks for your answer :) , I agree initial morale loss is the same but it seems to take longer to get back for forced march units than for operated units (same for readiness).

Example: two german corps I name 1 and 2.

Corps 1 begins at readiness 90, morale 100

Forced march

Corps 1 ends at readiness 63, morale 46

One turn of rest attached to a 8 HQ

Corps 1 ends at readiness 84, morale 76 (R+21, M+30)

Corps 2 begins at readiness 85, morale 90

Op move

Corps 2 ends at readiness 43, morale 37

One turn of rest attached to a 6 HQ

Corps 2 ends at readiness 77, morale 73 (R+34, M+36)

So even with lower starting stats and HQ I found the unit operating will got back on its feet quicker.