Japanese Army Mods

I need to head out of town for a week, so I'll probably upload these mods in their current form clearly marked as "Rev 1", so any PTO map designers can use them as an indicative.

I am also noodling around:

1. retexturing the haystack to resemble some kind of barrel bush or harvested cane grass

2. how to transform Tall Bocage into a bamboo thicket or at least some dangling jungle vines

but those will need some more advanced alpha channel work and will likely have to wait for the next iteration.

EDIT: OK, v1 is posted at the Repository and GreenAsJade's site. Enjoy! Feedback welcome.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Have you figured out how to make their webgear appear? Has something to do with using the German wireframe but I couldn't do it.

Havent figured that out yet. but with German wireframe i get a small piece of gear showing up on left hip of all hq commanders. Are you also seeing this.

CMNormandy2012-05-2922-16-09-61.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Also turned Bush 2 (B) into a taro plant; Pacific natives grow this staple crop in padis, or simple marshy pits near their villes. The pits make effective, though soggy, mortar positions; their dense foliage also claimed a number of Allied vehicles fooled into thinking they were level ground.

Bush2-Taro_Pit.jpg

Note also I have created a simple ocean horizon (i.e. no mountains). When I'm satisfied, I'll release an improved rev2 of my PTO Terrain mod.

i removed the horizon as well - unfortunately i could not get the world box below the map right because the color of the water changes with light conditions. i have another suggestion for the foliage:

imo the color of the eucalyptus tree should be more greenish to blend better with the other trees.

maybe you could include my railway tracks without rail-bed to your pto terrain mod.

The "distant ground" (ocean) tile could be lightened a bit, true, although its shading needs to be uniform because it "tiles" as opposed to being a single image like the skybox.

Re the eucalyptus leaves, note that there are both "wet" and "dry" jungle environments, often occurring on opposite sides (windward/leeward) of the same island or mountain. Deciduous trees in the wetter areas tend to have massive trunks (banyan, eucalyptus) and feature dangling vines and creepers. But feel free to do your own tweaks if you like. I don't pretend to have anything like the modding skills (or free time) of others on this board.

But feel free to do your own tweaks if you like.

i think this would be not a good idea. there is only so much interest in the pto mod so splitting it up in pto terrain submods would not make sense.

i am looking forward to your makin map.

regarding my angaur map i will release it after the next patch

Still messing around with terrain. Removing the lower level of the high bocage makes a very pleasing understory of tropical trees, or a mangrove swamp as shown here (165th Infantry assault on Buna, anyone?). Only downside is that LOS and navigability looks better than it actually is.

Mangroves.jpg

Also, put an "x" shaped bocage tile at the foot of a single Type C deciduous tree and you've got a banyan tree (vinelike roots dangling down).

This mod never interested me because it was just too way off as far as accurately depicting the weapons and vehicles. So, I never posted in here 'cause I didn't wanna rain on your all's parade. But I gotta say, I am TOTALLY impressed with your guy's ingenuity and problem solving. You are really stretching the modding boundaries and pushing the creative envelope. My hats off for the really awesome work, fellas. Top notch.

Mord.

Still messing around with terrain. Removing the lower level of the high bocage makes a very pleasing understory of tropical trees, or a mangrove swamp as shown here.

God, that must have been tedious! I tried to a less naked version of that when trying to make decent looking vineyards for spd's Italian mod. But see, I waited, and good things came!:D

Thanks Mord. It now seems conceivable that BFC will see the light and realize that the PTO may be an attractive submarket, with a scale of tactical infantry action quite well-suited to the engine. And that creating a quality CM:Pacific game does not in fact require creating a massive new terrain set... caves, maybe. And some kind of treetop sniping platform.

In the meantime we can play around.

God, that must have been tedious! I tried to a less naked version of that when trying to make decent looking vineyards for spd's Italian mod. But see, I waited, and good things came!:D

No, it's really quite simple; there are 2 files, boccage and boccage2. Replacing the former with a blank (transparent) tile randomly removes either the bottom, both top and bottom or neither from a given bocage segment (3 segments in a given Bocage tile except where there's a gap or an X/Y shape), leaving only the bare "sticks"

I'm concerned that it now looks too bare and will mislead players who'll think that they can now spot or move through ungapped Bocage. But so far I haven't been able to add a thinner layer of leaves or vines to the transparent tile using Photoshop Elements. I may try Gimp, which is on my laptop.

Thanks Mord. It now seems conceivable that BFC will see the light and realize that the PTO may be an attractive submarket, with a scale of tactical infantry action quite well-suited to the engine. And that creating a quality CM:Pacific game does not in fact require creating a massive new terrain set... caves, maybe. And some kind of treetop sniping platform.

Please don't get my hopes up! HAAHAA!

I'd LOVE a CM: Pacific game, and I agree that I don't think it would be too far a stretch to do it in the long term. With the mods, a friend of mine put together a loose facsimile of the Alligator Creek action on Guadalcanal. Obviously the M1 Garands had to take the place the Springfields, but it was a great little battle fought (I'm trying to get him to clean it up and post it in the repository).

There are so many overlooked tactical and terrain options to choose from in the Pacific theater ... from deep jungle, temperate, to almost desert-like conditions (see: Peleliu and Iwo Jima).

Granted, there are a few things that would need doing ... like building flamethrowers, a slightly better melee model perhaps, a little bit better defined water system for amphibious landings (I'd LOVE to play Tarawa), and some fortifications, but I think with the new games they have coming out, one or more of those will get addressed!