New file at the Repository: Battle for Carentan HTH battle (2012-03-09)

Not that it is any consolation, but it's an old guy asking:) And not that you will answer in the affirmative, but if there is anything I can do to help with it I am willing. Like I said upstream, this map/h2h-scenario is Awesome. Like many others I miss the old CMx1 operations (I'm actually in the midst of making a huge map - 4Kx4K and no where near as nice as yours and not historical - to be played h2h like an operation), and I think expanding the map, adding and hour, and adding the town as an objective would accomplish a lot in that regard.

Not that it is any consolation, but it's an old guy asking:) And not that you will answer in the affirmative, but if there is anything I can do to help with it I am willing. Like I said upstream, this map/h2h-scenario is Awesome. Like many others I miss the old CMx1 operations (I'm actually in the midst of making a huge map - 4Kx4K and no where near as nice as yours and not historical - to be played h2h like an operation), and I think expanding the map, adding and hour, and adding the town as an objective would accomplish a lot in that regard.

ill bear that in mind, i honestly want to do more with the map, and im not adverse at all to map 1 being Ingouf, map 2 being as it is now with some improvements, and map 3 including an expanded Carentan........ i very much appreciate your comments, youve no idea how it feels to have a scenario appreciated (certainly by me anyway)...... when i get the time after a crazy period at the mo lets look into expanding those thoughts!

• 2 years later...

100% Correct. And the AI... is decent.

Its a bloody 3hour map. I got the first hour out.. secured the Farm and Rail Road, and Command HQ. Reinforcements just arrived exactly at the 2hour mark countdown. Now proceeding to Carentan... It seems the town is LOADED with defences. 

Don't know if the creator is still around or not.  Does it all take place as night?  I fired it up just to see if it loaded and that's the first thing I noticed.

And if you have some familiarity with the repository and have devised a method on how to effectively search for what you might like let me know.  I started another thread asking if the database could be made available as a download because I'm accustomed from the past to using actual workable and searchable databases like the old scenario depot which made it easy to search by useful parameters like highest rated, most downloads, etc.

Could be I'm just missing the secret ingredient to making the Battlefront Repository work for me.

Look forward to hearing how your battle goes, I might start another perhaps shorter engagement, been awhile since I've played this one, came back w/ the 3.0 upgrade to see what has changed.

It starts just before dawn, I think it's 5:00am. And then... After 1hr. Dawn breaks.. And there is literally SUNRISE happening. It's almost unbelieveably real. Makes you part of the company :) I have to admit, it's a nice map.ill keep an update on how it goes.

Yes, I've used that, but as I mentioned, you pretty much need to know what you're looking for to put it to proper use.

What I'd like is for that same search feature to have option to download all search results, for example, uncheck everything except Normandy, leave the search field blank and the results would be all scenarios available that you could just download a list of.

Btw, that sounds cool that the engagement starts in the dark and moves through the sun coming up, that sounds great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't like stepping on other peoples work but after a little look in the editor this is begging for an update, especially since that are FJ's in CMBN now. Would also be good to expand the map out a bit to master map scale. Has anyone done a master map of the 'Road to Carentan' yet?

I don't like stepping on other peoples work but after a little look in the editor this is begging for an update, especially since that are FJ's in CMBN now. Would also be good to expand the map out a bit to master map scale. Has anyone done a master map of the 'Road to Carentan' yet?

Ithikial_AU could you make some of the suggested tweaks to this map or is that considered a no no among scenario creators and modders? I was hoping to use this in a pbem H2H but broadswords and mjkerners earlier comments have put me off.

ps i am completely useless editing myself

Edited by para

No so much changes to the map itself but using it as a base to expand the map both width and length ways to cover St Come du Mont etc. Essentially to cover fighting from June 7th -> June 12th by the 101st. Should be possible to do those kinds of map dimensions in version 3.0 of the XMx2 engine. The only other downside is the edge of Carentan itself. Would be good if there was another map of Carentan proper that would be a bigger undertaking. :)

Unit editing is the easy part if you have a good OOB reference for an engagement/series of battles.

I don't think there is a 'protocol' as such amongst the community about working on top of someone else's work in terms of scenarios, (people help each other out all the time) but given some of the problems on the modding side in the past, don't want to cause any unnecessary unrest.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps, apologies for not catching up on this - Para PM'd me earlier today and ive only just found the right thread

I loved creating the map, it was my first - and it taught me many lessons, mainly that im a map builder and not an AI builder!

I love creating the maps, but im a terrible planner whn it comes to AI, i always thought if i could find a good partnership with a guy who hated mapping but loved AI wed be a good combo

Anyway, i played CMBN until my eyes bled, burnt out, returned, played some more and made a few more maps and then had a HDD crash that lost me the game, and CMSF and CMFI!! I know it was all retrievable, but at the time id had enough

Ive just recently bought CMBS having been a beta tester, but didnt ask for the free copy as i didnt feel id done enough work to warrant it and instantly opened the game and started making a map

I would love to hand over the torch of this map to anyone who wants to take it on, i would have no problem with anyone taking it to the next level - in fact i saw about a year ago a guy on youtube using the map and he claimed credit for it

Feel free, enjoy, after all it was something i did for the community - its only fair the community takes ownership and treats it properly

good luck

Edited by undercovergeek

I loved creating the map, it was my first - and it taught me many lessons, mainly that im a map builder and not an AI builder!

I love creating the maps, but im a terrible planner whn it comes to AI, i always thought if i could find a good partnership with a guy who hated mapping but loved AI wed be a good combo

Willing to have a chat mate, but yeah when I get the time again and I finish the Carpiquet project (thread here somewhere) be interesting to see where our ideas cross over. Got a crazy idea for CMBS... :P

Willing to have a chat mate, but yeah when I get the time again and I finish the Carpiquet project (thread here somewhere) be interesting to see where our ideas cross over. Got a crazy idea for CMBS... :P

I shall keep my fingers crossed you get that time required pretty soon lthikial-AU :P seriously keep us in the loop on the development of this scenario.

Edited by para

• 3 months later...