Hand Grenade Usage

This is an observation, not a statement based on the results of in-game testing.

It seems to me that in close infantry encounters between German and American (havent played Commenwealth enough to notice yet) units, especially at night, that the German units will invariably toss more grenades than their opponents. This usually affects the outcome in favor of the German unit involved.

Has anyone tested this?, and if so does this statement prove correct?

I have not noticed this, and I recently finished a tournament scenario which involved more grenade throwing than I had ever previously seen in a CMBN game. Both sides threw a lot of grenades. I was playing Americans, and my guys used them plenty. I remember one particular grenade that took out three enemy soldiers.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in grenade usage myself, but then again I generally try to avoid close assault and defeat enemy by volume of fire at longer range, so my experience with this area of the game is limited. Close combats are usually limited to cleaning up a few routed survivors of an already broken unit for me.

However, assuming arguendo there is a difference, one thing to consider is whether any such difference might be linked to the fact that a majority of German infantrymen carry the bolt-action Kar. 98 as their primary weapon, which is the probably the worst close-range weapon in the game. So a Kar. 98-toting Landser might be somewhat more disposed to resort to grenades than a G.I. with a semi-auto Garand or M1 Carbine. Taking this one step further, soldiers with SMGs would be even less likely to use grenades, since they have the best close combat firearm.

Pure speculation on my part, but there are certainly a lot of things that could potentially affect grenade usage.

I've had a hard time getting the targeting at close range to result in any consistent grenade hurling. Grenades are indeed in the squad/team kit, and morale is good. I'll set a target for just over a hedgerow, and the men will not comply with a grenade or two over it. Any tips beyond that?

I think close infantry combat during night scenarios when there may be no direct observation of enemies on the other side of the hedges might influence the use of hand grenades.

Tossing a grenade at night does not immediately reveal your location as would the muzzle flash of a rifle.

I've also noticed that German soldiers seem to be more prone to grenade throwing than their Allied counterparts and this seems to be especially true of the CW forces. Yankeedog's point does seem credible and it has also occured to me that the German's are armed with stick grenades that should have a longer throwing range and therefore they will probably resort to grenades earlier than their opponents. Having said that though, there have been quite a few situations where allied soldiers seem to be far too reluctant to throw grenades (even when they have a full load of them). in situations that warrant their use.

If German units throw more grenades, I suspect the reason is because they are defending, and defenders usually have a better grasp of the location of the attackers than vice versa.

Also, I agree with YankeeDog. Try to avoid close quarters if possible. It's very difficult to control the outcome. Good strategy if you've got a lot of Russian peasants with PPSH 41s; not so good if you've got troops with rifles and an apparent aversion to tossing grenades.

Taking this one step further, soldiers with SMGs would be even less likely to use grenades, since they have the best close combat firearm.

Pure speculation on my part, but there are certainly a lot of things that could potentially affect grenade usage.

Pull up a chair and I'll tell you about a landser named Probst who in a single turn took out several GIs with an SMG and threw several hand grenades as well. It is in the old screenshot thread for posterity.