Aris CW Vehicles Mods Thread

Fuser

I thought I would post some opinions on the vehicle textures of the CW module, since they have been object of debate lately. Sure there is a bittersweet feeling, a strange mix of ugly, good and delicious there as far as texture is concerning. I would say Cromwell, Otter, Carriers, Churchills, Jagdpanther, Daimlers, Humbers, Staghound, Stuarts, White SC, M5 HTs and Bedford Trucks are to be categorized as excellent and a joy to mod.

On a second level, would be the Shermans (which seem to have less 3D detail than their american mates?), Sexton, Achilles, Jeeps (which has some ugly mapping problems), Priest and Wolverine, which are not bad but not as good as the ones posted above. Recolouring some of the textures to match CW greener shades of CW vehicles made some of the textures to look lime green.

And finally, some vehicles that don't match the quality we came to expect from CMBN:

Lynx, Wespe, Marder (IMO, worse then CMBN) and KingTiger. So German vehicles seem to have suffered the worst part.

All in all, specific CW vehicles (those not from American origin) are the best of the lot and the above mentioned german tanks would hugely benefit from a make up.

Surprised to see such a mixture of quality in texturing, not very coherent, but I suspect that's what happens when you work with different artists and timelines.

Anyway, thanks BFC for a work well done (even if that Wespe hurts my eyes ;) ).

Those differences in quality remind me of Panzer Commander Ostfront (Matrix). Some vehicles look superb, some look even worse than the original CMBO vehicles. I really can't understand the decision of a company to release vehicles that are not up to standard. The King Tiger shouldn't be included yet in the Commonwealth module. It is not ready and didn't see much action in Normandy anyway. Having said that, I realize I'm spoiled by the superb quality of most other vehicles. And if the KT wasn't included I would moan about something else....;-D

All in all I'm delighted by the looks of this game.

that Wespe hurts my eyes ;)

Well, I´ll be uploading a weathered Wespe in a few days (made partly with the use of your textures, Aris - thanks again). Unfortunately, I can´t do anything about the lack of detail: I just placed one of your Marder IIIs next to the Wespe for comparison - and even though my weathering has surely helped, it still looks very dull compared to the CMBN vehicles.

I am also very surprised - and a bit disappointed - with the german vehicles in CMCW.

Sorry for my English

I think that in a first time,it is necessary to do again the basic camouflaging of Lynx, Wespe, Marder and KingTiger before aging them to obtain vehicles which blends in in others.

In French (if more easy to understand)

je pense que dans un premier temps, il faut refaire le camouflage de base des Lynx, Wespe, Marder et KingTiger avant de les vieillir et de les salir pour obtenir des véhicules qui se fondent au autres.

I agree with you in principle, frigo. And I have tried to remove the original camo in both the Lynx, I already released, and in the Wespe. Unfortunately, the camo is made in colors that I am not capable of removing. Maybe others know how to do it, but I have tried every way I could think of - with no luck. :(

I have tried the same in the past, but the "Replace color..." command it´s not helping too much. So I decided to desaturate the layer completely, recolorize the whole texture with the base color I wanted using Hue Saturation command and the finally use clone stamp to delete the final former camouflage completely. It´s a headache and time consuming...The final part was to replace some of the textures (like wheels, tools,...etc) who had appropiate colors by cutting samples from the original texture and pasting them back to the modified bitmap.

Ok, after Priest and Cromwell IV (uploaded already on Friday and Sunday respectively but not available yet...), it's time for an old friend which has less polygons than the US version (?¿) and some odd shadows cast in the hull..¿?

Sherman II.

Clipboard02-13.jpg

I have tried the same in the past, but the "Replace color..." command it´s not helping too much. So I decided to desaturate the layer completely, recolorize the whole texture with the base color I wanted using Hue Saturation command and the finally use clone stamp to delete the final former camouflage completely. It´s a headache and time consuming...

LOL. Exactly, what I tried - except I decided I wouldn´t go as far as removing all camo "manually". Very modder-unfriendly BMPs.

BTW, Aris: Do you have any idea whether the improved versions of the german vehicles that should be coming in the next patch will have (negative) impact on any mods made now?

Ok, after Priest and Cromwell IV (uploaded already on Friday and Sunday respectively but not available yet...)

You might need to re-upload them...they should've come up by now if you posted them Friday and yesterday.

Mord.

LOL. Exactly, what I tried - except I decided I wouldn´t go as far as removing all camo "manually". Very modder-unfriendly BMPs.

BTW, Aris: Do you have any idea whether the improved versions of the german vehicles that should be coming in the next patch will have (negative) impact on any mods made now?

No idea, but just in case, I refrain from modding them.

You might need to re-upload them...they should've come up by now if you posted them Friday and yesterday.

Mord.

Umm, odd, this is the very first time that this happens to me, so my brain is still in the "not possible, must be alright" process....I'll wait for an hour and if not available then, I will reupload them.

I would like to thank Darknight Canuck once again, who has been providing me with a wealth of references, it's much nicer to work with such a human-encyclopedia.

You ain't kidding. He probably knocked six months off my mod.

Oh, and nice work! Looks like I'll be DLing all your new stuff within' the next couple days.

Mord.