Commandos?

Mord, I actually got the Code from Phil C./BFC at 1:00 am. Friggin' amazing guy! But anyway, I took a quick spin around the CW textures, and you beat me to the red beret treatment...I want to take a look at what you did when I get home tonight to see if we think alike as to how to do it. Thanks for saving me the trouble! I don't plan on modding any uniforms for the community, but I'm gonna be a tailor of sorts for a lot of my new pixeltruppen. The red beret was the first thing, but I need to dirty up that uniform too.

Para, it might be a while before I get that scenario to you. CW is going to distract me. However, I have gone through 3 major iterations of the AI in order to get the attacker to act reasonably dangerous yet sane.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mord, I actually got the Code from Phil C./BFC at 1:00 am. Friggin' amazing guy! But anyway, I took a quick spin around the CW textures, and you beat me to the red beret treatment...I want to take a look at what you did when I get home tonight to see if we think alike as to how to do it. Thanks for saving me the trouble! I don't plan on modding any uniforms for the community, but I'm gonna be a tailor of sorts for a lot of my new pixeltruppen. The red beret was the first thing, but I need to dirty up that uniform too.

Para, it might be a while before I get that scenario to you. CW is going to distract me. However, I have gone through 3 major iterations of the AI in order to get the attacker to act reasonably dangerous yet sane.

mjkerner

No worries mate whenever you are ready :)

Can only the officers be made to wear the berets (so that the Germans can more easily ID them and shoot at them lol)?

apparently not due to there being no individual officer gfx model..well i think that is what Mord meant

this is his repsonse to me about it

Originally Posted by Mord

You're welcome.

I meant to say I think the beret was originally meant for officers but BFC changed something...the BMP still exists for it but there's nothing in the game utilizing it.

There's actually no way to mod it for just officers because there are no separate officer uniform and helmet/hat for the Brits.

Mord.

You're welcome.

I meant to say I think the beret was originally meant for officers but BFC changed something...the BMP still exists for it but there's nothing in the game utilizing it.

There's actually no way to mod it for just officers because there are no separate officer uniform and helmet/hat for the Brits.

Mord.

Thanks Mord. Have install problems but the MOD looks fantastic. You are truly gifted.

Of course that "worthless" scenario took someone many hours of work, and many people appreciate having small scenarios that can be played in a single short sitting. You sure are critical for someone who expects others to do so much for him.

Don't sweat it. There are at least as many opinions on here as there are forum members (probably more for us schizoid types). All the work you guys do is really appreciated, just not everything is everyone's cup of tea. I'd prefer folks be a little more considerate of time and effort spent and perhaps a little less caustic but the flip side is I am betting para was really looking forward to seeing 6th Airborne scenarios and the disappointment probably runs deep - heck with a handle like "para" what did you expect? LOL It's all good just chalk it up to excitement about the release.

Don't sweat it. There are at least as many opinions on here as there are forum members (probably more for us schizoid types). All the work you guys do is really appreciated, just not everything is everyone's cup of tea. I'd prefer folks be a little more considerate of time and effort spent and perhaps a little less caustic but the flip side is I am betting para was really looking forward to seeing 6th Airborne scenarios and the disappointment probably runs deep - heck with a handle like "para" what did you expect? LOL It's all good just chalk it up to excitement about the release.

sburke, a very reasoned comment. The scenario in question is part of the CW module, therefore the person who created it probably got paid.

It is the tiniest morsel of a scenario and seems to have been stuck in as an afterthought, compared to the richness, fullness and detail of the other scenarios and campaigns.

I do not understnd why akd got so wound up? at no point did i or have i, ever disrespected the modders on this forum.

Seems like we went through some similar issues...My comp crashed (AGAIN!!!) the day before CW was released...I lost a harddrive and a CD drive...took me like five tries to get XP to install on my secondary, by the time I got everything straightened out CMBN said I was out of licenses and then Norton tried to quarantine my CW exe. It's been a trial.

It'll be fun to see what your method would've been...at this point I barely understand how I did it but you'll probably laugh at me 'cause man it's real goofy work around.

Thanks Mord. Have install problems but the MOD looks fantastic. You are truly gifted.

You're welcome, thanks for the compliment. All I really did was fiddle with some code, textures were already there...LOL I'll tell you though, Aris probably could've done three vehicle makeovers in the same amount of time it took me to figure that crap out!

Mord.

Hey Mord, sorry to hear you had comp trouble. Remember, next time, count to 10 before you throw your CPU through the wall after playing CMBN!

Okay, as for your mod...BRILLIANT! I was thinking something to do with MDR files, but to use the US helmet was true inspiration. But now I'm confused...I always understood the mdr's are used to arrange the various equipment on the 3D model of the soldier. I only had a quick peek at your mod over the noon hour (but I'll be up most of the night playing around with CW formations, the new mods, the new uniforms, etc...), but am wondering how you got the US helmet to show as a beret. If you care to share any knowledge, please email me!

Okay, so I took a quick look at the Brit and Canadian para battalions and the Brit Independent Para company over the noon hour. By the usual file structure, there should be at least some random berets showing amongst the crowd, but after deploying these units several different times, I never once saw a red beret (this was just using the stock uniform files, not your mod). I added several copies of the camo helmet by the old conventional method (adding numbers to the file name), and so have that helmet showing up in the proportion that I like (about 3 in 4). To get the beret to show up, though, I made multiple versions of the beret mdr, and also made a beret-lod mdr variant--no use making multiple copies of the texture bmp itself, since there is no variation and it wasn't showing up at all anyway--but I got zip, zilch, zero. So what if I take your mod, and add in some para helmet bmps and airborne-helmet-lod.mdrs, will I get a mix of berets and helmets? Ultimately, when not playing commandos, I'd like a light mix of berets in with mostly helmets.

Cheers!

sburke, a very reasoned comment. The scenario in question is part of the CW module, therefore the person who created it probably got paid.

No, the person that made that scenario wasn't paid. And even if he was, do you really think we can afford to pay people an adequate per hour rate for the actual amount of time it takes to create a scenario? If it weren't for people helping us out for the love of it... you'd be buying a game without any scenarios at all.

Please keep in mind that your opinion of what is valuable and what is not is just that... your opinion. Also keep in mind that being dismissive of other people's hard work is generally considered rude, especially when you are not exposing yourself to similar criticism for your own work.

Steve

No, the person that made that scenario wasn't paid. And even if he was, do you really think we can afford to pay people an adequate per hour rate for the actual amount of time it takes to create a scenario?

Please keep in mind that your opinion of what is valuable and what is not is just that... your opinion. Also keep in mind that being dismissive of other people's hard work is generally considered rude, especially when you are not exposing yourself to similar criticism for your own work.

Steve

If I offended the map maker I apologise. The point I was making was that compared to the other scenarios the varville one is very basic in scope and challenge.

Now, I do not mean basic as in poor workmanship of the map etc. I mean it is limited in the mission parameters.

1 Capture building

2 Capture bridge

3 Capture building

This can all be done in 5minutes.

I cannot do maps or mods so presumably I can have no opinion? My earlier post pretty offensive? Some people are far too easily offended then. Obviously, I do not want to get in to a row with anyone, so I will leave it at that.

Well I wasnt the map maker in case you thought I was LOL. I am as good at making a scenario as Snooki is at being a role model. I start with a company and end up with a 4x4km map with 11 battalions on each side. I bet my scenarios expend more ammo than any side did during the entire war. Pisses me off too cause I love trying to make them.

But beta guys do very little in the way of after thought. Tiny scenarios are super hard to make IMO. Just everything has to balance but with smaller sized personnel pools, the player making a mistake ruins the fun, which in turn affects the way the scenario is viewed and its re-playability.

No, it's 3:40 in the afternoon here (Wisconsin, USA). I get the impression Mord stayed up all night, and he was the one that went to bed a while ago. You seem to be pretty good at handling controversy!

Is that handling our courting? ;) shouldn't you be at work then?by the way Darknight_Canuck has upped his subdued shoulder loops for the 6th AB

is that the "hold until relieved" scenario? and just when it looks like the germans are going to recapture the bridge, peter lawford shows up to save the day?

I actually made a conversion from DeLuxeASL Pegasus Bridge module's scenario 'It's About Time!' depicting the arrival of the Commandos to the Orne bridges held by the Red Devils, and made it work with the modded AK to ETO: now I'm trying to convert that map I so painfully made in detail in CMX1 to use it in the CMX2 editor and rebuild the OB and I'm very eager to see the results, but unluckily the brilliant MOD Conduct Mappin: BOBBAK to BN script is giving me an error, but eventually I will make it by hand if I cannot solve that problem: that map was a faithful reproduction of the module's map based on original aerial photo reconnaissance material, with some added details I gathered by reading first hand accounts from the combatants, and it can be used for different battles and a whole campaign too, as I did before.

I actually made a conversion from DeLuxeASL Pegasus Bridge module's scenario 'It's About Time!' depicting the arrival of the Commandos to the Orne bridges held by the Red Devils, and made it work with the modded AK to ETO: now I'm trying to convert that map I so painfully made in detail in CMX1 to use it in the CMX2 editor and rebuild the OB and I'm very eager to see the results, but unluckily the brilliant MOD Conduct Mappin: BOBBAK to BN script is giving me an error, but eventually I will make it by hand if I cannot solve that problem: that map was a faithful reproduction of the module's map based on original aerial photo reconnaissance material, with some added details I gathered by reading first hand accounts from the combatants, and it can be used for different battles and a whole campaign too, as I did before.

I salute your attention to detail GVT and wish you success in your conversion of the map.

Hey Mord, sorry to hear you had comp trouble. Remember, next time, count to 10 before you throw your CPU through the wall after playing CMBN!

Okay, as for your mod...BRILLIANT! I was thinking something to do with MDR files, but to use the US helmet was true inspiration. But now I'm confused...I always understood the mdr's are used to arrange the various equipment on the 3D model of the soldier. I only had a quick peek at your mod over the noon hour (but I'll be up most of the night playing around with CW formations, the new mods, the new uniforms, etc...), but am wondering how you got the US helmet to show as a beret. If you care to share any knowledge, please email me!

Okay, so I took a quick look at the Brit and Canadian para battalions and the Brit Independent Para company over the noon hour. By the usual file structure, there should be at least some random berets showing amongst the crowd, but after deploying these units several different times, I never once saw a red beret (this was just using the stock uniform files, not your mod). I added several copies of the camo helmet by the old conventional method (adding numbers to the file name), and so have that helmet showing up in the proportion that I like (about 3 in 4). To get the beret to show up, though, I made multiple versions of the beret mdr, and also made a beret-lod mdr variant--no use making multiple copies of the texture bmp itself, since there is no variation and it wasn't showing up at all anyway--but I got zip, zilch, zero. So what if I take your mod, and add in some para helmet bmps and airborne-helmet-lod.mdrs, will I get a mix of berets and helmets? Ultimately, when not playing commandos, I'd like a light mix of berets in with mostly helmets.

Cheers!

LMAO! Oh, man I just woke up and you re-twisted my brain! I'll have to think on this...the way I did it (and thanks for the compliment) was like walking around the house five times and then climbing in the back window to use the front door. I renamed the beret mdr to the helmet mdr...problem was there was a chinstrap mdr so it was borrowing a beret texture and turning it into a chinstrap. I had to rename the US Infantry helmet mdr to the chinstrap mdr and blank out the textures. If the textures weren't blanked out (which I did by setting the BMPs to 32 bit) you'd end up with a helmet sticking out of the para's chins. It was a complete cluster f*** way to do it but I couldn't remember how I did my Syrian Mod. Waffleman, luckily pointed some stuff out that clicked a light bulb so I am gonna retry and see if I can make it better.

As far as not seeing the beret at all with the stock graphics...that's 'cause they turned it off...AKD said BFC left it in as a courtesy for the modders.

As far as the LOD Mdrs...LOL Man, I just don't know. You can try. I am gonna eat and kick back and ponder this for a bit. Hopefully I can make a better version. Let me know what you discover.

Mord.

AKD said BFC left it in as a courtesy for the modders.

Actually, that's an assumption based simply on the fact that other stuff was cleaned out but the beret was left in. However, without LODs frame rate could be affected, so perhaps that was not the intent. Still, it is a starting point.

My turn to LMAO, crikey, I would have never figured all that out! I'm gonna try a simple test. I modded the Para helmets for the Bris and Canadians. I'm gonna add them to your mod, since it didn't change their mdrs. See what happens. I also started on varieties (mainly through desaturation) of the para uniforms. And I toned down the sten and lee enfield stocks. in my game, they are quite bright.

Later.

Royal Marine Commandos wore green, not red berets. Paras wore red berets, with the para camo smock, not battledress. I can't recall what the beret colour for Army Commandos was, or for that matter whether Army Commandos units fought in Normandy.

I seem to recall that Commando units had a very different unit organisation to standard infantry formations, and that small unit weapons were also different, with more automatic weapons. I am not sure, though, whether this was true in June 1944 for the units that landed and fought in Normandy.

I can't recall what the beret colour for Army Commandos was, or for that matter whether Army Commandos units fought in Normandy.

Lord Lovat's 1st Special Service Brigade was a brigade of the British Army comprising Nos 3, 4, 6 and 45 (RM) Commandos in Normandy.

The Royal Marines also had the 4th Special Service Brigade in Normandy with 41, 47 and 48 RM Commandos.