CW At first glance.

I´d really like to see that explained in detail. In 1944/45 the majority german paras were little more than Wehrmacht grunts in different uniforms. Oftentimes not even that. Special weapons, special equipment, special tactics...What?? :confused:

I think it is more special uniforms (which ties in a lot of graphical items) and special ToE. tactics is all us for better or worse.

In reading Lions of Carentan even it spent far more time talking about the fall of 1944 over Normandy despite the title. Figure it this way BFC has decided to get all the material for the NW European front from June to October/November they just had to split the sheer volume of material into 3 separate releases. They broke it down in such a way that the FJ are in the third release. I wouldn't look for any more reasoning than that, it'll just distract you from game time.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more special uniforms (which ties in a lot of graphical items) and special ToE. tactics is all us for better or worse.

In reading Lions of Carentan even it spent far more time talking about the fall of 1944 over Normandy despite the title. Figure it this way BFC has decided to get all the material for the NW European front from June to October/November they just had to split the sheer volume of material into 3 separate releases. They broke it down in such a way that the FJ are in the third release. I wouldn't look for any more reasoning than that, it'll just distract you from game time.

Think that hits the point well. Making para uniforms and helmets s/b more "work" than editing OOB/data charts, to reflect "by the book" values of few selected units. No special tactics or equipment (unless you really need the rare FG42, lG40 ect.) that necessiates additional coding efforts IMO.

Although the German Paratroop units never made a significant drop after Crete, they were indeed more than just "Wehrmacht grunts in different uniforms"

From a website on Normandy; Among other elite German outfits in Normandy, there were paratroopers. They were a different proposition altogether from the Polish or Russian troops. The 3rd Fallschirmjäger Division came into the battle in Normandy on June 10, arriving by truck after night drives from Brittany. It was a full-strength division, 15,976 men in its ranks, mostly young German volunteers. It was new to combat but it had been organized and trained by a veteran paratroop battalion from the Italian campaign. Training had been rigorous and emphasized initiative and improvisation. The equipment was outstanding.

Indeed, the Fallschirmjäger were perhaps the best-armed infantrymen in the world in 1944. The 3rd FJ had 930 light machine guns, eleven times as many as its chief opponent, the U.S. 29th Division. Rifle companies in the FJ had twenty MG 42s and 43 submachine guns; rifle companies in the 29th had two machine guns and nine BARs. At the squad level, the GIs had a single BAR; the German parachute squad had two MG 42s and three submachine guns. The Germans had three times as many mortars as the Americans, and heavier ones. So in any encounter between equal numbers of Americans and Fallschirmjäger, the Germans had from six to twenty times as much firepower.

http://www.worldwar2history.info/Normandy/German-soldiers.html

I did not question the value of selected units (1st and 4th in italy left aside) and just with regard to get the german paras "technically" implemented into the game.

To supplement info re german 3rd para from Hans-Martin Stimpels book:

At the time it marched from Brittany to Normandy, it had about 70% of overall combat equipment, with a particular lack of MG42 and Inf AT weapons.

It had 40% of required vehicles and just 1 organic Arty Btl. available.

Beside that, it was well trained, led and motivated. Even 85% of the paras had some jump training. This division was considered to be worth 2 normal infantry divisions in pure "combat power" (...though not through equipment).

As said, it´s not of concern for having german paras in the game and of this force, little was actually left late in august.

I didn't know that the British tanks were also marked with the same star as the US armor.

It became an Allied symbol for the invasion, guess it was for making recognition much easier, specially from the air.

Kinda like all fighters and fighter/bomber had the D-day black/white stripe on them.

It became an Allied symbol for the invasion, guess it was for making recognition much easier, specially from the air.

Kinda like all fighters and fighter/bomber had the D-day black/white stripe on them.

I have probably seen lots of photos of them but never paid any attention to it. Now checked the Churchills and Cromwells in the scenario editor and was a bit surprised to see them.

Speaking of Cromwell tanks - wow I am loving them. I never really paid any attention to them at all. But last night I was slowly adding mods back in starting and stopping the game. To keep things interesting I played a small armor only meeting engagement quick battle. I let the computer pick forces.

Anyway I ended up with some Shermans and some Cromwells against the computer's favorite Panther and some Stugs. I sent the Shermans one way and the Cromwells the other. The Shermans soon met a Panther and started dueling (which ended badly for two of the Shermans). But I ordered one of the Cromwells to flank at high speed to see if I could get the Panther from the side. Wow that sucker moved like a bat out of hell, came up on the Panther from the side and got a penetrating hit. Then after shrugging off a hit from a Stug they withdrew a bit and eventually took out the stug and then I sent them back to finish off the panther - which was obviously damaged.

It was one of those great moments and now I am interested to play a more serious game with Cromwells.

LOL, it's killing me!!! I am all of $10 short of my CW purchase!!! I imagine I should be good by the end of the day, but the suspense may kill me first!!! lol Good to hear so many good impressions, but I never had a doubt ;)

LOL, it's killing me!!! I am all of $10 short of my CW purchase!!! I imagine I should be good by the end of the day, but the suspense may kill me first!!! lol Good to hear so many good impressions, but I never had a doubt ;)

pFtt. I dont know if I will even be able to get it this month!

Boche, that's brutal friend! CM series games are pretty much the only thing I get to splurge on these days. Twin girls can take the wind right out of your game buying sails.

I did finally pull the trigger, and I have all of 160MB down loaded at the moment. This is going to be a long CM night with an early screaming kid morning, but it's all worth while!!!

First impressions are good.

The huge maps really add immersion and realism and we finally have proper horizons now due to map size. ;)

Performance seems to have improved on my machine as well. Even on the huge maps with best/best and 8x AA the things keeps running smooth as silk with a fine control over camera movement without any jerkyness either.

Good stuff.

Am I imagining it - or are infantry better off in buildings now?

I don't think you're imagining it. This is my experience: with my british infantry I was entering a town held by germans. I find out that in one house there was TWO sodiers: a commander and a mg gunner, that should be what's left of a previously battered squad. Well, I managed to get TWO of my squads around the house. I mean TWO almost 100% strength squads, probably around 20 men, at really close range from two different sides of the house.

The outcome: it took two turns to knock out the germans, that in the meantime were able to kill 6 of my men. I've noticed that even if under intense fire, the two guys inside the house would not get "pinned" really easily, while my guys were pinned way faster (luckily they were veteran and didn't freak out but kept their position).

Love it!

Ricroma