CW is ready...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Moon what do we do to be able to play the Module?

Tell Norton that the file it's flagging is ok. I don't know how you do that, I don't use Norton, so you will have to check their docs or ask their support. There are certainly ways to whitelist files or folders, and/or to adjust settings what Norton should be doing with "suspicious" files (as opposed to identified known viruses). In my AV program I tell it to only prompt me and ask me what to do and not simply remove it, for example.

There is no virus. If, during installation, you see that Battlefront.com, Inc. is the publisher, you can safely whitelist the file.

"Suspicious" means that Norton can't figure out what the file is. That's not surprising because it is encrypted (against hackers). Now, it shouldn't be flagging it because we are taking all the standard precautions to signal to AV programs that there is no virus. But crappy AV software (and IMO Norton is one of the worst) is known to ignore this.

You can also submit the file to Norton and they can adjust the virus definitions (if they feel like it).

Martin

Thanks, Martin. I had assumed that Norton was overreacting, but wanted to be sure. I told it to restore and exempt the file from future scans. Now the CW module seems to run okay.

On the virus thing, I remember having problems with CMSF once with AVG. The solution was turning off "Use Heuristics" in the scanner options. Might not be anything related to your problem but worth looking at. I think I had to reinstall though because it jacked up the file.

I was a heuristics problem. Under my Norton, I was able to look in the history and tell it to unquarantine the file. It offered exempting from future scans as part of the dialog. Now I'm running the game with Norton running normally at the same time.

I, too, lost my Commonwealth to Norton's zealous heuristics detector -- but all was well after I told Norton to restore and un-quarantine the file.

Haven't had time to look around much yet in the module, but two things I noticed immediately that I want to thank BFC for:

1. Those Commonwealth helmets with netting on them look a lot better now! (Hoping a modder will complete the job and add those colored Hessian cloth cammo strips and/or foliage to make them look truly realistic)

2. Many historical maps! Operation Epsom is well covered from many places and times, and I can see the mappers paid close attention to using real places with authentic terrain, and listened to our request for more variety and gaps in the bocage. Is there any chance anyone at BFC could post a Google Earth shot showing colored outlines of where these Commonwealth battle maps actually are? This would be instructive, and would also help any of us making maps for campaigns so we can see what areas remain unmapped in Epsom, for example.

I was a heuristics problem. Under my Norton, I was able to look in the history and tell it to unquarantine the file. It offered exempting from future scans as part of the dialog. Now I'm running the game with Norton running normally at the same time.

That was my problem as well, same fix and now all is right with the world.

I guess its like giving in to pat downs at the airport....the price we pay to protect ourselves from morons.

I guess my questions just got lost in the flood. Sorry to repost them:

a) Since in the BFC store CW modules is still listed as "preorder", if I buy it now will I be able to download the game right away?

B) Is it possible to ask to stop the shipping of the physical disc?

Thanks,

Ricroma

go back to the email of your preorder, click that to take you to 'view your order" click the CM-CW module and it will take you to the download page and automatically populate your elicense. Copy that license as you will need it to activate. Press download, open beer....

Incidentally, this time around they do not appear to be overwhelmed at the server end. My download and install went very quick, no hiccups experienced. Good job BFC!!

Cheers sburke in my excitement, I got all girly dizzy :)

I guess my questions just got lost in the flood. Sorry to repost them:

a) Since in the BFC store CW modules is still listed as "preorder", if I buy it now will I be able to download the game right away?

B) Is it possible to ask to stop the shipping of the physical disc?

Thanks,

Ricroma

a) yes

B) no, sorry

I think it's sort of an open beta test.

Pre-orders are not a beta test, no. The logic behind making preorders "Download&Mail" is to give us a better handle on how much physical goods to print/produce. As the percentage of downloads is increasing, producing stuff like discs and printing manuals is more expensive than it used to be, so a good estimate is necessary for us to make sure we don't sink too much money into dead inventory.

So far, we usually FAR underestimated production, which is a good thing. But we will not change this principle anytime soon.

BTW, if you are in the US, the $10 discount you get for a preorder pays for the S&H. You are not paying anything more than you will pay for just the download. And you get a nice shiny disc, too (if you have a Steelbook edition of CMBN, that will look nice in the set! ;))

For out-of-US'ers, the $10 discount doesn't fully offset the S&H, but it does reduce it, at least by half or more.

Anyway, have a little patience... give the preoders guys their fun, soon enough you'll be able to play, too.

Martin

2. Many historical maps! Operation Epsom is well covered from many places and times, and I can see the mappers paid close attention to using real places with authentic terrain, and listened to our request for more variety and gaps in the bocage. Is there any chance anyone at BFC could post a Google Earth shot showing colored outlines of where these Commonwealth battle maps actually are? This would be instructive, and would also help any of us making maps for campaigns so we can see what areas remain unmapped in Epsom, for example.

Here's a KMZ file showing the real or supposed map locations.

CMBN Commonwealth module locations.zip

So I can't get it yet because I have no desire to get a disc (I don't have one for the original game either?

"Shut up and take my money"

This is frickin insane. If you are so keen to have the damn thing hours sooner, why don't you just shut up and pay the money. If you _really_ don't want the physical media, just put a wrong postal address, someone else will get a coaster!

FFS, people are so wierd!!!

GaJ

Well, this is a nice surprise on a Monday. Was at work all day and set to hit the forum and bang away mindlessly on the F5 key for most of the evening.

Sure am glad that I checked my email first. Thanks, BFC! Downloading now....

....eeeeee....I might squee...I'm that excited...eeeee....

This is frickin insane. If you are so keen to have the damn thing hours sooner, why don't you just shut up and pay the money. If you _really_ don't want the physical media, just put a wrong postal address, someone else will get a coaster!

FFS, people are so wierd!!!

GaJ

LOL now now I assume you did pre order, just go play the game and chuckle about the oddity that is human beings. I would be doing that, but I am busy DLing AKDs new 1.10 sound mod ;-)