Change log

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An exhaustive list a) would have been too long to be useful, B) would have needed to be translated from our internal development list into something that would make sense to you guys, and thus c) would have been a hell of a lot of work for something too long to be useful. I'll take a few questions over having to reconcile two massive lists of bugs which are often only tangentially related. - Phil Culliton

a) a fix list is never too long

B) Ok I give you this one

c) that's the idea behind a change list so you don't have to keep answering the same questions about x bug a million times.

each to his own though

What about the PBEM issue of game files not being created at times, causing replay of turns in some cases more than once?

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that one got fixed. I'll double check.

a) a fix list is never too long

B) Ok I give you this one

c) that's the idea behind a change list so you don't have to keep answering the same questions about x bug a million times.

Fortunately people don't ask a million times :) Keeping track of fixes is a PITA and is simply not worth the time for each person working on the project to take meticulous notes about a) what they fixed B) how they fixed it. At least in the 12 years we've been doing this we've never been persuaded it's worth the effort, so I don't think there's change in the wind.

Steve

Word back on the PBEM thing is, in short, that we aren't sure it's completely fixed because we were never able to reproduce it. However, since we moved to a new compiler the problem appears to have gone away, which hints at some sort of issue with the old compiler. We're hopeful that's the end of that one.

Steve

The list is not comprehensive, as I know of several minor bug fixes not included there. AFAIK, the bunker issue has been resolved.

Outstanding! Beer in fridge, check. Snacks in cupboard, check. Plenty of time to ...aww crap, less than a week and it's on the road again.... Well at last there will be new subject for the forum.

Does not take anything away from them being notable omissions. Omissions of BFCs choosing. As is the decision not to add features down the line as a sweetener.

The once purported advantages of the modular system have all evaporated. Take care your customers base doesn't do the same.

I very much doubt it as most of us are aware that we don't get new features in modules and are cool with that.

BTW, One issue that needed to be addressed was the Uber dismounted crew as that can ruin a scenario. Playing for over an hour on defense and doing well only to have an assault by three dismounted tank crews wipe out my defense was very annoying.

Word back on the PBEM thing is, in short, that we aren't sure it's completely fixed because we were never able to reproduce it. However, since we moved to a new compiler the problem appears to have gone away, which hints at some sort of issue with the old compiler. We're hopeful that's the end of that one.

Steve

Happened to me yesterday ( for the first time actually ) - in a pbem game of Huzzar!, I watched Turn4, gave orders for 5, after it ended and I exited game, turn5 wasn't anywhere to be found. Running 1.01.

But if by new compiler you mean the CW or 1.10 patched version, I'm happy since as I say, it's the first time it's ever happened and unlikely to be long ( right ? ;) ) before patch.

Possibly a RAM issue, since Huzzar! is the largest scenario I've played to date and running XP so only 3Gig available.

But again, I'm upgrading to W7 in the next day or so, so unlikely to be repeated.

Love the game and can't wait for the release.

Sure there are things we all want but wont get but for me this game is not only playable but better than any other game available on the PC. I was playing CM1 up to a couple of years ago and got more mileage out of it than any other game apart from IL2.

Probably the one thing I would have loved would be the armour arc but I can accept that we wont get it until a new base game. Life goes on but I still play the game.

Compare this to Cliffs of Dover where after a year there is too much broken for me to even bother with it. Now that is annoying for me after spending over £3000 just so that I could play it.

For what it's worth, thanks Battlefront! At least my rig wasn't wasted :D

Love the game and can't wait for the release.

Sure there are things we all want but wont get but for me this game is not only playable but better than any other game available on the PC. I was playing CM1 up to a couple of years ago and got more mileage out of it than any other game apart from IL2.

Probably the one thing I would have loved would be the armour arc but I can accept that we wont get it until a new base game. Life goes on but I still play the game.

Compare this to Cliffs of Dover where after a year there is too much broken for me to even bother with it. Now that is annoying for me after spending over £3000 just so that I could play it.

For what it's worth, thanks Battlefront! At least my rig wasn't wasted :D

£3k just to play Cliffs of Dover?

£3k just to play Cliffs of Dover?

Hi Para

Yep at least that. I bought a Hotas Warthog and pedals plus the latest version of Track IR.

Then my rig which while I was going to build one anyway I went for as 'high end' as you can get. I5 @4200, GTX 580, SSD Drives, 2560x1440 27" monitor.

I was under the impression that the game was fixed and we'd all be happily flying round shooting spitfires out of the sky until I finally put the rig together and discovered that the game crashes after 40 minutes and that most people are suffering from this. Not to criticise them but you can imagine I was a little upset ;)

When I saw BF had brought out a new version of Combat Mission a game I loved dearly (and which saved my sanity on many occasions while working in the desert for weeks on end) I was overjoyed. If it hadn't been for Battle Front releasing Combat Missions Normandy I'd be absolutely seething as my rig would have been totally wasted.

I've never really played any other games apart from IL2 and Combat Missions.

Hi Para

Yep at least that. I bought a Hotas Warthog and pedals plus the latest version of Track IR.

Then my rig which while I was going to build one anyway I went for as 'high end' as you can get. I5 @4200, GTX 580, SSD Drives, 2560x1440 27" monitor.

I was under the impression that the game was fixed and we'd all be happily flying round shooting spitfires out of the sky until I finally put the rig together and discovered that the game crashes after 40 minutes and that most people are suffering from this. Not to criticise them but you can imagine I was a little upset ;)

When I saw BF had brought out a new version of Combat Mission a game I loved dearly (and which saved my sanity on many occasions while working in the desert for weeks on end) I was overjoyed. If it hadn't been for Battle Front releasing Combat Missions Normandy I'd be absolutely seething as my rig would have been totally wasted.

I suppose if i had the readies i would probably do the same. Roll on that lottery win i have been dreaming about. You in the oil business then Nik_B?

Yes I am nice guess ha ha!!

I needed a computer for work but I went for a super high end rig convincing myself that I would get lots of pleasure from Cliffs of Dover. We're not loaded though this was a big treat for me as I am normally pumping all of our cash in to the house/kids etc. Playing CMBN has taken the bitter taste out of my mouth.

Combat missions remains a game that never fails to provide WOW moments to me and for that I am truly a fan of Battlefronts work. I didn't like the middle east stuff butt hat's because I'm a WW2 nut so I continued to play CM1 until my last computer died it's death. Don't get me wrong there are infuriating times as well but I would definitely say that the good outweighs the bad for the most of it.

My PBEM buddy and I are desperately awaiting the next module as we like playing the massive maps and have exhausted everything we can find in the repository. A few weeks ago we used to be talking about the upcoming Cliffs of Dover patch but now when it is mentions it's more "I don't care anymore" and the discussion quickly moves on to Commonwealth or my friends uncanny ability to destroy my tanks no matter how careful I am with them :D

You can probably tell we're a little excited

Yes I am nice guess ha ha!!

I needed a computer for work but I went for a super high end rig convincing myself that I would get lots of pleasure from Cliffs of Dover. We're not loaded though this was a big treat for me as I am normally pumping all of our cash in to the house/kids etc. Playing CMBN has taken the bitter taste out of my mouth.

Combat missions remains a game that never fails to provide WOW moments to me and for that I am truly a fan of Battlefronts work. I didn't like the middle east stuff butt hat's because I'm a WW2 nut so I continued to play CM1 until my last computer died it's death. Don't get me wrong there are infuriating times as well but I would definitely say that the good outweighs the bad for the most of it.

My PBEM buddy and I are desperately awaiting the next module as we like playing the massive maps and have exhausted everything we can find in the repository. A few weeks ago we used to be talking about the upcoming Cliffs of Dover patch but now when it is mentions it's more "I don't care anymore" and the discussion quickly moves on to Commonwealth or my friends uncanny ability to destroy my tanks no matter how careful I am with them :D

You can probably tell we're a little excited

It is a great game and the one I only play religiously nowadays. I have had a go with the simulators, FPS and sports games but the WW2 BFC games are king.

The only game genre that for me could take me away is if someone comes up with a fantastic Rugby League game. There have been several but they have poor attempts so far.

Got the BFC middle East games but soon got bored and if any one wants them they are for sale.

Me too, although I still play CM1 as well.

But give RoF a try, base game ( 4 planes ) is free to try and WWI planes are a hoot. And your rig should run it nicely :)

Elmar, you've been around long enough to know that if each individual person's pet peeve and wish list were put front and center you'd never, ever see a release of any sort. Ever. So yeah, obviously we choose what to include and not include so we can release a game every once in a lifetime. Or should we never release a game until everybody has exactly what they want in it?

Steve,

IMO that's quite an understatement, if you are saying, the missing cover arc making a comeback was something like a new feature.

The ATGs are already too vulnerable, because they can't be dug in. But this was the case in CMx1, too. But in combination with the missing ACA this gives not so realitistic results in CMx2 which can also be seen more as "bug" and less as a missing feature.

Steve

Steve,

I hope you are right....while it is a very intermittant issue, it does adversely effect PBEM play. Thanks for the update.