Manual is up!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of 17pdr armed Cromwells, I am a bit disapointed that Challengers havn't been included. I realise that there weren't many produced and that they wouldn't have been available in the early stages of the Normandy campaign but it would've still been nice to have them.

I wouldn't give up all hope; the Challenger would seem to be a good candidate for the final "Odds n' Sods" module to CMBN.

Friendly word of advice - before making a comment along the lines of "why has this module taken 8 months to do?", it would be worth taking a few minutes to read the 2 threads on the subject. It just comes out all wrong.

Friendly word of advice: In the long list of the incredible amount of tasks, the tasks of drinking, eating and sleeping are missing...

Don't you get this? Game, engine improvements, bugfixes are not part of a module.

They're part of the patch that was simultaniously and will be released simultaniously.

What these improvements will is yet totally unknown to us mortals.

I remember though, that someone of the staff has mentioned nothing was done on spotting issues, which is kinda sad imho.

I remember though, that someone of the staff has mentioned nothing was done on spotting issues, which is kinda sad imho.

I thought they said that LOS wasn't changed beyond the thing with units shooting the cover they are behind. I will be rather disappointed if moving tanks can still spot infantry (in cover) faster than the infantry can spot them. 9/10 times it doesn't happen, but it seems almost an impossibility that one time it does.

Tank Hunter Team in cover:

"What's that shooting at our buddies? I think it's coming from that flat open road 50m away."

"Hmm, I can't quite make it out! Must be a ghost!"

2 minutes later...

"Oh, it seems it's a tank, you know, one of those 10 ft tall rumbling metal boxes with a giant cannon spewing fire."

"Welp, first things first, we better try and see what this bolt-action rifle can do against it, wouldn't want to waste a Panzerfaust."

;)

(A bit of hyperbole, but not much)

I thought they said that LOS wasn't changed beyond the thing with units shooting the cover they are behind. I will be rather disappointed if moving tanks can still spot infantry (in cover) faster than the infantry can spot them. 9/10 times it doesn't happen, but it seems almost an impossibility that one time it does.

Tank Hunter Team in cover:

"What's that shooting at our buddies? I think it's coming from that flat open road 50m away."

"Hmm, I can't quite make it out! Must be a ghost!"

2 minutes later...

"Oh, it seems it's a tank, you know, one of those 10 ft tall rumbling metal boxes with a giant cannon spewing fire."

"Welp, first things first, we better try and see what this bolt-action rifle can do against it, wouldn't want to waste a Panzerfaust."

;)

(A bit of hyperbole, but not much)

Made me laugh :)

Don't you get this? Game, engine improvements, bugfixes are not part of a module.

They're part of the patch that was simultaniously and will be released simultaniously.

What these improvements will is yet totally unknown to us mortals.

To clear this up a bit, AFAIK, the patch will only contain bug fixes and tweaks, not enhancements or new features. Those are part of a new game, not a module. The patch is automatically incorporated into the module. It is available as a separate download for those that choose not to purchase the module.

This doesn't mean that BFC will never include game enhancements in a patch or module, but since they said it is not their intent to do so, you should not expect it. And if you don't expect it then you can't be disappointed.

I thought they said that LOS wasn't changed beyond the thing with units shooting the cover they are behind.

Considering the numerous spotting oddities to me this counts like nothing ;)

don't wanna underestimate the problems and difficulties in really making a change to the better though.

And yes, the patch will be an integral part of the module, still, its gonna be released to everybody else, too.

Are you sure that this 1 in 10 occurance isn't the C&C engine kicking in (i.e. your infantry is out of contact?).

Also, there are cases where *some* soldiers may spot a vehicle, but others may not be able to see it, and it takes time for it to actually "appear" to you, the player (so you can react and issue orders to the unit cohesively). Individual soldiers *may* react to the vehicle already earlier, though (TacAI).

Contrast this with the quick C&C for the vehicle crew. Once one crew member has spotted just one infantry soldier (out of how many?) through vision ports, being buttoned up, or even magnified viewers, then the entire crew will know it almost instantly.

Martin

Are you sure that this 1 in 10 occurance isn't the C&C engine kicking in (i.e. your infantry is out of contact?).

Also, there are cases where *some* soldiers may spot a vehicle, but others may not be able to see it, and it takes time for it to actually "appear" to you, the player (so you can react and issue orders to the unit cohesively). Individual soldiers *may* react to the vehicle already earlier, though (TacAI).

Contrast this with the quick C&C for the vehicle crew. Once one crew member has spotted just one infantry soldier (out of how many?) through vision ports, being buttoned up, or even magnified viewers, then the entire crew will know it almost instantly.

Martin

Friggin logic, there you go again Martin. psssst please release the krake.. oops wrong, release the change log. It would shut us all up for at least a few minutes while we read it...of course it would then spawn 52 threads over what wasn't included, but you are gonna get that anyway.

Martin

It might be, but that whole system (the spotting delay when out of C2) isn't really clear. You commented on this to me once before and it spawned a multiple page thread of people arguing about whether it is even a real thing or not. This one.

I'm sure you're busy, but inquiring minds would like to see a few more details on that subject at some point.

As a follow-up to Ranger33's comments regarding the other forum thread, I set up a test with isolated and out of C2 units spotting and reacting to previously unspotted enemy units and did not have any instance of a unit reacting to an enemy unit that was not visible on the player's screen (Iron difficulty). I feel I can state with a fair amount of confidence that the game doesn't do this, unless there is some factor other than being out of C2 that must also be present for it to happen that I did not test for.

As a follow-up to Ranger33's comments regarding the other forum thread, I set up a test with isolated and out of C2 units spotting and reacting to previously unspotted enemy units and did not have any instance of a unit reacting to an enemy unit that was not visible on the player's screen (Iron difficulty). I feel I can state with a fair amount of confidence that the game doesn't do this, unless there is some factor other than being out of C2 that must also be present for it to happen that I did not test for.

I believe he's talking about individual soldiers in a same squad, reacting before the whole squad does. Unless you are too of course :).

Martin

Hey Moon, can you elaborate? It is a really vague description you're giving here.

Hi,

is it possible to fire the PIAT from the inside of a building, if the soldier is next to a window?

Concerning the release, I really hope for lots of fixed bugs and improvements. The new units and missions are just nice to have. I'm still a bit sad, that this game isn't moddable, but I understand that it would mean the death of the game out of battlefronts perspective. And I don't want that. Although I think the game could be twice as good at it is right now.