Comprehensive WISH LIST for your enjoyment

Re engineers, you have to FIND the minefields and you cannot crawl across a whole map.

Once marked however, there should be a safe route thru a minefield.

CNBN has many abstractions that are necessary to make the game playable, and this should be one that is considered. Yes, it takes time to clear and mark a safe route, but we only have an hour or two in a scenario, not days like in RL.

For a game company in the business of creating entertainment, the mantra should be "real life sucks" even when you are designing the most "realistic" COTS product available.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you can't crawl the map. And that is as it should be. Do you think that most WW2 minefields were detected without loss? You seem to find them unfun -- I don't agree.

As for marked minefields: they are very safe, but not 100%, if you go slow. Go fast and it's still fairly safe, but there is a decent chance of being hit. Again this strikes me as realistic. It's a minefield, for goodness sake!

There are two things I would like to see changed about CMBN minefields. One is that a unit crossing a known but unmarked minefield should typically crawl across in single file. All men but the first should therefore treat it as a marked field. (Indeed, any other unit which sees should also treat it as marked, but this requires state.)

Second is driving a tank across a field should create a safe route. In CMBN terms, it should be marked. You walk in the tank treadmarks.

On the issues with acquiring ammo, Add a share ammo command to the admin tab on HQ units. This will command all units that sub to that HQ who are also in C2 to load balance available ammo. This will eliminate the need to micromanage ammo re-distribution.

As far as acquiring ammo from vehicles, keep it as is but remove the need to enter the vehicle to acquire ammo, positioning a unit next to the vehicle should be sufficient.

my .02

As far as acquiring ammo from vehicles, keep it as is but remove the need to enter the vehicle to acquire ammo, positioning a unit next to the vehicle should be sufficient.

Yes, I've just driven a Kubelwagen across an entire map to deliver vitally needed 9mm ammo to a sub-squad who, it turns out, can't get it because there are 5 men in the unit and a Kubel only takes 4 !

Grrrrrrr !! And they can't be split because ... they're already split ! Arghhhh !!

I play with Marco Bergman's mod "range weapons"(thanks for it Mr. Bergman). I think it's very important to know the range and distance of all weapons. I think the original CMBN don't have this information...I think it's very useful for players...

I think that will be new weapons and I hope Mr- Bergman will do another range weapons mod for this module...

Another question (off topic) will I have to configurate again the grafic card when the module comes (two diferent games)? Will be the mods usefuls to both games (for example weapons range)?

Thanks and greetings

More smoke shells for on-board mortars, off-board artillery, and AFVs. My father who commanded an 81-mm mortar platoon in Normandy (2/117th, 30th Infantry Div) said they used WP in profusion. I certainly miss the smoke available in CM1. The ability of some infantry sections to throw out smoke is some compensation, but only .

Please give 50-mm mortars to the Germans.

Yes, I've just driven a Kubelwagen across an entire map to deliver vitally needed 9mm ammo to a sub-squad who, it turns out, can't get it because there are 5 men in the unit and a Kubel only takes 4 !

Grrrrrrr !! And they can't be split because ... they're already split ! Arghhhh !!

Frustrating -- but if the driver of the Kubel acquires the ammo, then dismounts and remains adjacent to the depleted unit, wouldn't the guy with the ammo eventually share it with the ones who need it? I thought ammo sharing happens automatically. I know it's not under player control, but it does happen, right?

Frustrating -- but if the driver of the Kubel acquires the ammo, then dismounts and remains adjacent to the depleted unit, wouldn't the guy with the ammo eventually share it with the ones who need it? I thought ammo sharing happens automatically. I know it's not under player control, but it does happen, right?

Cheers, never thought of that, usually leave drivers where they are.

I'll try it, thanks.

The unit purchase thing to be redone to select units instead of deselecting units. Current system is an unwieldy PITA.

I have to disagree, it does take a few "mucking around" sessions to get comfortable with it, but then I found it quite powerful.

As a workaround, can't you just select the largest formation, unselect everything and then slowly cherrypick what you want ?

@Erwin, I'll have to whip up a QB to test that option, thought driver didn't count as there's only 4 little grey dots indicated for the vehicle.

Cheers, never thought of that, usually leave drivers where they are.

I'll try it, thanks.

I am not sure that will work. I think that inter team sharing like that only works between teams in a platoon. I have not tested this I just think I remember reading it.

Just checking: Can't a Kubel accommodate 5 if you dismount the passengers AND driver?

No that should work. Get the driver to dismount and then get the 5 man team to board the wagon and then they can acquire away. After that the driver can get back in to move to another location.

I am not sure that will work. I think that inter team sharing like that only works between teams in a platoon. I have not tested this I just think I remember reading it.

Sharing ammo only within the same platoon would be an absolutely pointless rule, if true. What reality is that designed to simulate, BFC?

IRL, units shared ammo everywhere and anywhere possible, and it was everyone's job to push ammo up to the front to whoever needed it. Any spare soldier from any unit should be able to acquire ammo and share it, provided it's compatible with the weapons of the receiving unit.

The ammo sharing within a platoon is true. If you have a battle with 81mm mortars you can notice it...

I forgot about it and a few battles with large numbers of troops Ive just paired off mortar ammo bearers with mortars. Occasionally Ive gotten units switched around and then would be shocked when I had mortar bearers with full loads and mortars on the same tile refusing to fire, due to lack of ammo. I thought it was a bug, but it turned out it was because they were from different units. Dumb if you ask me as well - a few times it really could have affected a battle's outcome and in real life I doubt some men would refuse to kick in the mortar shells to save their own skins - especially when you have a Wehrmacht infantry assault barrelling down towards you..

This whole ammo sharing within platoons only, reminds me of the movie Zulu Dawn where the troops are requesting ammo and supply SGT is demanding justification for the need. I also believe that supply SGT was the inspiration for the soup nazi on the Sienfeld show. "No bullets for you."

I would think if 2 guys meet on the battle field, one guy has bullets and the other doesn't and they happen to we wear the same color uniform they would share bullets. Especially if they are mortar bullets. "Hell yeah you can have them I tired of lugging them around."

No that should work. Get the driver to dismount and then get the 5 man team to board the wagon and then they can acquire away. After that the driver can get back in to move to another location.

Yes, it does work, thanks for the advice.

However, in a WeGo setup, it still takes 3 Turns !!

One for the Driver to exit,

One for the squad to enter the vehicle ( sadly, even though the driver will be gone by the time the squad arrives, you can't plot an "Enter" move in the turn that the driver starts in the vehicle - so can we add that to the wishlist ? ;) )

One for the Acquire and exit.

So Acquire from alongside would solve all these problems.

I'm playing third mission "Panzers Marsch!" I'm enyoing with nigth missions because most missions are at day.

I found this message about this mission and I would like to sugest to put into game "nigth flares"

Original message from Jhon Malcom: I'm onto the third battle of the Panzer Marsch campaign, and wishing really hopefully that dawn will come soon. It's a pity we don't get parachute flares or illumination rounds.

So Battlefront, please : parachute flares for night combats! :rolleyes: