Ghostly Units and Other Peculair Incidents

I just had an disrurbing occurance happen to me while playing chance encounter. I was the Germans and one of my Stu's was ambushed by a U.S. infantry unit and a bazooka team at about 30 meters. My Stu couldnt get a decent shot from any of its guns although it was blasting them with their close support weapon the Neb... much to my suprise. smile.gif Then the ZOOK, who i was targeting at about 25 meters in front of me, charged me. Well he ran straight through the Stu, I mean right through the interior of it, came out the back and Knocked it out. frown.gif This just wasnt right. Has this happened to anyone else?.......Also, I think infantry are spotted too easily. i.e. A lone tank in LD spotted my HIDDEN in foxhole zook at a range of 350 meters or more. I find it hard to even sneak units anywhere near the edge of woods because the always get spotted so easily..... Lastly, I think there needs to be an adjustable setting to keep units from firing on spotted targets. Nothing worse than giving up your position because your units decide to shoot at a non-threatning squad at max range. Maybe a slider that lets you choose aprox. range to engage? I do love this game, and i hope someone can enlighten me on these issues.

Shrad, each and everyone of these issues have been discussed at length on this forum. There is a search function associated with this board that is quite effecient.

Nevertheless, some quick answers smile.gif

You most likely had the scale of the units set at something other than "realistic". I believe the default is x3? hold down shift and hit c a few times and you'll see how your guy could run through the Stug.

spotting and fire control... deep issues with lots of angles, try the search to find long threads on these subjects.

But I can tell you that after playing for a bit these arent really problems anymore. It'll probably just take you a bit to learn the ins and out's of the game.

Lokesa, The units were at normal size as that is how I always play. They walked through the assult gun. I've never seen it happen before but it did ruin several turns of positioning. Also, I've been playing game since demo came out and still think infantry are spotted too easily.

I recognized your name but thought it was from chain of command for some reason, sorry frown.gif

hmmm, units are abstracted and merely representational, for the larger units it's easy for me to rationalize having one move through a tank but when it gets down to a one for one representation I'd want the figure to show more exactly where it was. I dont think the code changes for that though. I'm thinking even if the one figure only represented one man due to casualties it's still just an abstraction.

I like watching units dismount from vehicles. They'll dismount underneath the vehicle before moving away. I had a MG unit happily stay right underneath a non-moving tank for an entire turn. It was funny to see his head popping up through the floor of the tank. And, yes, the unit scaling was at realistic.

Jason

I "think" that was a beta demo thing...

I never really bothered about it much but I think it has changed since I've seen a lot of instances in recent betas where infantry have to replot their moves to go "around" tanks and knocked out vehicles.

As for the guys dismounting "in" the vehicle.. I think that's just a graphical thing and something we might just have to put up with. To be honest it has never bothered me though since it only lasts for a second or two.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn, What was it that you "think" was a demo thing? The enemy squad moving through my Stu?....Lokesa, thats O.K.. I do think you have a valid point about squads being abstracted. I never considered that. It makes sense that the squad represented movement around the tank. I can live with that. Thanks guys.....Would someone address the targeting restriction option,as I think it would be of great use. I would love for one of my HQ's to be able to use discipline saying " look men, we snuck and crawled for ten minutes, dont engage units at long range unless fired upon". The only other problem I have is my wife saying "Why dont you ever play all those games on your bookshelf anymore (ASL) because they cost so much and now you dont ever look at them. Maybe you can sell them at an auction"....AARGH!