A plea to Battlefront

Placebo

I have only just re-discovered CMSF (i never took to it on initial release especially without the random battle gen) but am really loving it now with all the modules and post release patches.

The game is crying out for another module or new verison for the invasion of Iran. It will probably never happen in real life but would be a great update for the game, and to see the latest US/UK forces now available after the experiences of Iraq/Afganistan.

• 2 weeks later...
I have only just re-discovered CMSF (i never took to it on initial release especially without the random battle gen) but am really loving it now with all the modules and post release patches.

The game is crying out for another module or new verison for the invasion of Iran. It will probably never happen in real life but would be a great update for the game, and to see the latest US/UK forces now available after the experiences of Iraq/Afganistan.

Im working on an Invasion of Iran campaign, so you can wait for that to come out :P

Will be a lot of work but well worth giving a go. Let me know if you want some missions play tested i will be happy to help.

Sure, ive already got 2 scenarios done and a third almost finished. Let me finish the briefing for the first mission today and if you want to can try it out. :) cheers

I do not understand why Battlefront just decided to cease support of the Combat Mission Shock Force series. They could have come out with a bunch of modules... China, Iran, Israel, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and so on.. This title could have been so much more than it is even now.

Perhaps someone could convince them to release a method of the modding community being able to add new 'modules'. That would give CMSF life well into the future if players could add and modify the actual units. We could then also update/upgrade existing units.. example, update hummers to the latest up armored versions or add the new MRAP series etc etc.

It is really frustrating when we get such an excellent combat sim title only to have the developer drop it like this in terms of additional enhancements and so forth.

The hope is to get a reengineered Europe-based CMSF reboot going using the greatly updated game engine. CM:BN-style rain, snow, water, fog, independent buildings, bridges, all countless game engine advancements incorporated. The CMSF basegame became too out of date to keep revisiting and revising. Even CM:Afghanistan is more advanced!

If you're doing an 'Iran-themed' scenario you might want to consider assigning some 'blue v blue' Marine ground TOW launchers to the Red side. Iran's 'Toophan' ATGM is a reverse-engineered home-built TOW missile system based on what Ollie North delivered to them. :)

The hope is to get a reengineered Europe-based CMSF reboot going using the greatly updated game engine. CM:BN-style rain, snow, water, fog, independent buildings, bridges, all countless game engine advancements incorporated. The CMSF basegame became too out of date to keep revisiting and revising. Even CM:Afghanistan is more advanced!

If you're doing an 'Iran-themed' scenario you might want to consider assigning some 'blue v blue' Marine ground TOW launchers to the Red side. Iran's 'Toophan' ATGM is a reverse-engineered home-built TOW missile system based on what Ollie North delivered to them. :)

That would be awesome.. But I would like to see some of the things I mentioned as well so that even when development ends, the sim can continue on because of modders..

As for a new 'engine' for the game/sim, that I understand as well because the current engine does leave a lot of room for improvement...

Yes, already considered :)

ive had to make a couple of compromises with equipment such as armour but well.

Maybe BF decided that they want to focus on perfecting the engine in CMBN so that they can get on with CMSF2 asap which by then could be good enough to be competitive in the lucrative market for DoD simulations?

No offense to BFC, but I somehow doubt they will be able to compete with the

Skip to about 1:50 for the rather impressive realtime mission builder and strategy portions.

I'm thinking that ship sailed long ago.

Nice eye candy, but given that this is supposed to be a TRAINING simulation, I was utterly unimpressed with what their high gloss pixeltroops were actually DOING -- in fact, after the firefighters it was all really kind of ridiculous.

The capper was the Stryker column speeding through the town at the end of the second vid with the infantry sprinting along next to them. Helos landing dramatically in the middle of towns (hot zones)? Arrows showing you how to close assault a 1 room motorcycle repair shop by entering a narrow back alley and then climbing to the roof? (or is this a HVAC technician training simulator?)

Naturally, these tableaus were all laid out to show the full-on power of the graphics engine and animation, but tactically it was utter c-r-r-ap. I'd guess any professional soldier would be laughing his arse off.

Also, I'm not sure I saw more than about 30 distinct moving units (soldiers, vehicles) in any one shot. Which means this isn't really that much more powerful than the other high end shooters out there, just a bit prettier. But I could well be wrong on that.

2. How long does it take to set up an actual complete battlespace in their Editor? Arma2 and all those have very limited battlespaces of a few km2 and you start seeing the same stuff over and over again. A serious tactical simulator has got to model the battlefield as accurately as it does the soldiers (the shooting through walls bit was pretty neat, I must admit), with no artificial limitations.

3. How good is the AI or does every avatar need to be human-controlled?

These vids are not telling me the American taxpayer is getting his $57M worth. Unless this is the version they're planning to ship to the Chinese and Russians.....

They haven't released enough information to answer all of those questions yet, but I forgot to mention the best bit of the whole thing. This is not a mouse and keyboard game, this is something closer to virtual reality. The soldier has a 360 degree screen around him (with 360 degree sound) and can apparently can lean his body to look around corners, manually reload his gun, giving hand signals to others, and so on. The videos are just eye candy to show off the engine, the whole thing is something a fair bit more impressive.

I don't know how big the maps are, but the editor is an enhanced version of the one used in Crysis, which is extremely powerful.

where they show the editor some more. You can see that realtime terrain adjustments look easy, and new models can be imported and textured.

Maybe BF decided that they want to focus on perfecting the engine in CMBN so that they can get on with CMSF2 asap which by then could be good enough to be competitive in the lucrative market for DoD simulations?

Not really - BFC has never stated any such intent and from what I've read, they never will.

It's really not that lucrative market when you consider all the red tape that it involves. BFC would probably have to completely halt further development of their consumer products to go with that option, they're too small to develop two lines of products simultaneously.

If someone in the military wants to pick up Combat Mission as an off the shelf solution, that's fine, but it'd hardly be a source of infinite wealth either.

I've heard that some army brass do indeed love CMSF. But having a Pentagon colonel loving the game and Leon Panetta purchasing it are two different matters. I suppose there are some sticking points. As a training aid they'd demand consistent repeatablility. What makes an infinitely replayable game is the role chance and luck plays. What makes a training aid is consistently punishing the player for doing something 'wrong' and rewarding for doing it 'right'. That being said, there are soldiers serving in Afghanistan today who made all of their stupid tactical errors 'virtually' in CMSF and CM:Afghanistan beforehand, which dramatically decreases the likelihood they'll make those same errors in real life.

The current CM2 engine is possibly useful for training but only in very defined educational situations.

I am thinking that if the trend towards simulation rather than "game" continues in CMSF2, BF could very well be a step closer to DoD contracts. And they are lucrative.

The main challenge with govt contracts is getting someone with clout at DoD and/or money who is willing to champion your project.