Flavour Object (minor) Bug

While awaiting Broadsword's next PBEM turn, I was playing around in the Editor trying to help Undercovergeek create some rolling stock for his Carentan railyard. A bunch of Shed objects placed together actually look pretty good as small 1940s era box freight cars, although they are sitting on the ground and lack wheels (I tried using the oil drums on their sides (2) but this failed for reasons described below).

After over an hour of struggle I had to give up this little project. This is not the first time I've noticed that flavour objects (doodads) are a lot more of a hassle to manipulate in CMBN than they were in CMSF. A few observations:

1. They can get "stuck" if you move them into another piece of terrain like a wall... try as you might they won't get out. You have to delete the terrain.

2. Flavour objects do not like to overlap -- they generally delete each other when they do so, and on occasion even when they come into close proximity. The screenshot shows an example: what's left of my final attempt to create 2 "boxcars" each consisting of 4 sheds laid end to end but not quite touching....

Flavobjectbug.jpg

3. Every so often I encounter a flavour object that simply refuses to budge -- I can't move it, rotate it or delete it. That is true of the shed on the far left of this screenie. I click and click and click from every which angle and nothing happens. I save game, go in and out of preview. Nothing.

I have a saved game of this available for forensic purposes. PM me svp.

Wall posters are the worst PITA. I can never seem to fix them to a wall and nudge them into position without either leaving them suspended in air, or pushing them inside the wall.

BTW, now that I've dissed this flavor object, I should confess it's also my favorite -- wish we had more of these, or larger ones -- like those wall-sized ads for Dubonnet that one often sees in the war photos.

Wall posters are the worst PITA. I can never seem to fix them to a wall and nudge them into position without either leaving them suspended in air, or pushing them inside the wall.

BTW, now that I've dissed this flavor object, I should confess it's also my favorite -- wish we had more of these, or larger ones -- like those wall-sized ads for Dubonnet that one often sees in the war photos.

Yeah... it is really difficult with posters. I usually deploy about 4-6 on each wall at different points from the wall.. some make it.. some dont.

Flavors can be fussy about how you place them and where. I tried the overlapping shed thing and it stumped me. I have yet to have something get stuck though.

Immobilized halftracks and tanks on the rail line can make a semi-decent armored train.

I do wish we had rolling stock flavors, along with a few other obvious things like chutes and gliders. I suppose the rail cars would be in the buildings section of the editor though, since units would enter and leave them.

Flavors can be fussy about how you place them and where. I tried the overlapping shed thing and it stumped me. I have yet to have something get stuck though.

Immobilized halftracks and tanks on the rail line can make a semi-decent armored train.

I do wish we had rolling stock flavors, along with a few other obvious things like chutes and gliders. I suppose the rail cars would be in the buildings section of the editor though, since units would enter and leave them.

Thats a great idea... not sure it would be flavor object but an actual object as you would be able to enter in them and take cove.. like on a FLAK train... that would be sweet.

So basically we should be appealing to the design team to make some actual box cars etc. I know there was alot of fightng on the Eastern Front that involved the much needed rail junctions... so maybe in the Eastern Front a year from now? maybe.... would be nice to even see some actual armored trains with actual 20mm-mg's etc. I know the soviets used them as well.

BTW aren't flavopur objects indestructible (or at least don't they have a tendency to be so)?

I've had entire orchards / farmhouse complexes destroyed by arty and the fragile hand cartin the yard is still standing there serenely in the ruins!

I've also seen things like barrels and drums stacked against buildings - the building collapses the barrels remain!?