Windows 7 Problem

I recently installed Strategic Command 2 and its Weapons and Warfare Expansion on my windows 7 64 bit operating system and updated them with the current patches. I ran then as the administrator and nether game launches. I don't even get to the start up screen. Both programs worked previously a few years back on my xp machine but not on my new windows 7 machine.

This is the error code I get for SC2:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SC2.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 49931e7a

Fault Module Name: SC2.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 49931e7a

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00012872

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This is the error code for the expansion:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SC2-WaW.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4b586d77

Fault Module Name: SC2-WaW.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4b586d77

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000128d2

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I wanted to buy some of your more recent products but now I'm worried they will not work on my machine.

Can you help?

You may need to make changes to your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings, a built-in security feature of Windows since Windows XP Service Pack 2. This Knowledgebase article on DEP settings should hopefully explain what you need to know. It's possible to have one computer require changes to DEP, while another computer can ignore it altogether and you wouldn't have to change anything on it.

Another possible culprit is security software. What security programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, firewall, internet-security) do you have installed ? It's possible that some of these programs may need to have 'exceptions' set, features disabled or possibly even uninstalled in order for eLicense to work.

What exactly did you try ? What security software do you have installed ? Some security programs will NOT work with eLicense (SC WW1 does NOT use eLicense) and may need to be uninstalled or have features disabled/modified.

The 'Runservice.exe' file mentioned in the Knowledgebase article will NOT exist until you activate the game. It is silently downloaded and installed at the conclusion of the activation process.

When you say that you 'ran them as administrator' are you right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu ?

I followed the instructions in the knowledgebase article. The Runservice.exe did exist in my windows directory and I included it and the other files listed in the article in my exclusions list. I turned off my firewall program when I tried to run the game and it still would not start. My antivirus program is Avast; my task manager will not let me shut it down (which is strange). SC2 and its expansion are installed on my machine's second internal drive (drive I instead of C). Could this pose a problem? I would try and re-install it to drive C but I don't want to use up one of my 10 installs.

ZoneAlarm is one of the firewall programs that have issues with eLicense. In the past you just had to UNINSTALL the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar' (this is NOT the entire ZoneAlarm firewall program). However current versions of ZoneAlarm firewall now launch this security feature as a Service. So you would have to go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. In here look for the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar Service' (I believe that is what it is called) and then right-click on that name and select 'Stop'. Then right-click on it again and select "Properties". In here on the 'Startup Type' drop-down, select '"Disabled". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

There is another thread about ZoneAlarm in the CMSF or CMBN Tech Support forums.

I fixed it and quite by accident also. When another of my old programs did not work (which had been working previously) I realized the only thing I had changed recently was I changed my system setting in windows to maximize performance. When I changed this back to the original setting he program now works. Thank you very much for help.

I was following the instructions in your Knowledgebase article on DEP settings; so I hit the system option, then "advance tab", then settings which brings up "visual effects". I had never seen this screen which gives you the option to change settings for your computer's performance and visual effects. Since I'm not real big on graphics I changed the option from "let windows decide whats best for my computer" to "adjust for best performance". I then made the other changes as listed on your article. As you know the SC2 games did not work which I kind of blamed on the games not being compatible with windows 7. Only later when another program (which always worked) suddenly was not working, did I retrace my steps, changed the setting back to where it was originally and both the program and your games work. I know my reply was wordy but hopefully it makes sense.