• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When did Richard Holmes die??

April last year

Fascinating bloke - I'm reading his 'Tommies' book about yer average squaddie in WW1, digs really deep into primary sources and has some eye opening material about attitudes in those days. I've been brought up in the Brainwashed-Patriotic-Lions-Lead-By-Donkeys view and his is another good book that blows large caliber sized holes in this scenario.

I've got his 'Redcoats' lined up (both 'borrowed' off my 16 year old son, who takes his military history VERY seriously) next.

Richard will be missed - - used to really appreciate anything done by him on the TV as he never had a hand in any lazy continuation of stereotypes, but would dig into the subject and discard many urban myths.

Nearly met the bloke, during research, but just missed him. His replacement blew himself up with a hand grenade recovered from a battlefield tour. Talked to the replacement and spent 8 hours blissfully detatched from the real world, talking about all things military.

Nearly met the bloke, during research, but just missed him. His replacement blew himself up with a hand grenade recovered from a battlefield tour. Talked to the replacement and spent 8 hours blissfully detatched from the real world, talking about all things military.

Who was his replacement?