British Paras

I am sure someone will do a spot of modding, whether it is realistic or not. Highlight of the year though, will be the Arnhem module.

This time OMG will succeed!

LOL nice.. I am very much lookign forward to playing both sides... one of my favotite movies is a Bridge too Far.. classic. It may not be super realistic, but I think its a good move.

The Urban combat and the bridge battle will be epic. In playing the Germans.. you would have to be an idiot to cross the bridge with your recon element... lol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL nice.. I am very much lookign forward to playing both sides... one of my favotite movies is a Bridge too Far.. classic. It may not be super realistic, but I think its a good move.

The Urban combat and the bridge battle will be epic. In playing the Germans.. you would have to be an idiot to cross the bridge with your recon element... lol

I remember the days of CC2:ABTF I played the life out of that game. Just something about that operation that keeps drawing me back.

As one German soldier put it, in a documentary I watched many moons ago.'There wasn't a nancy boy among them' referring to the Airborne boys at the bridge.

I always thought that when fighting in built up areas, especially inside buildings the beret allowed a better field of vision, and less restriction of movement, especially when looking upwards. Went to the museum in Oosterbeck and there were countless photos of paras in berets during the combat. Might also be a handy recognition device to stop blue on blue incidents. It would be nice if you could select all helmets/mixture helmets berets.

Captain Killick, commander of the 89th Field Security Section, leading his patrol west of Arnhem Bridge, Monday 18th September

What the heck is he armed with? It looks like a Sten except that it appears to have a pistol grip for the left hand up near the muzzle, like the early Thompsons did. Is this pic available in a larger resolution?

Michael

I always thought that when fighting in built up areas, especially inside buildings the beret allowed a better field of vision, and less restriction of movement, especially when looking upwards. Went to the museum in Oosterbeck and there were countless photos of paras in berets during the combat. Might also be a handy recognition device to stop blue on blue incidents. It would be nice if you could select all helmets/mixture helmets berets.

I have looked about and seen photos of paras wearing berets in combat areas, obviously there a lot more wisely wearing helmets.

It may not be 100% realistic but i would like to have the option or at least some wearing them ingame.

If i remember correctly in CMBO the paras wore berets.

What the heck is he armed with? It looks like a Sten except that it appears to have a pistol grip for the left hand up near the muzzle, like the early Thompsons did. Is this pic available in a larger resolution?

It is a Sten. What looks like a grip is the magazine. In this case he his holding it on a slight angle and what you are seeing is the side loading mag tilted downwards.

Anyone seen Theirs Is The Glory 1946? Re-enactment of the Battle for Arnhem and Oosterbeek, using the surviving soldiers weapons and civvies that took part in OMG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theirs_is_the_Glory

by the way, do any of you UK guys have access to any weapons that were(not actual) used in the battle?

The guy that does the pegasusarchive site is looking to update his site and wants to see, photo and take measurements of the type of weapons which were issued.

He also wants help with the history and development of the weapons used by all sides in the Operation. I am sure this would be right up the alley of some of you grogs.

Save the picture onto your drive and you can inflate it to quite a high resolution

From wiki (my bold)

The Sten used simple stamped metal components and minor welding, which required a minimum of machining and manufacturing. Much of the production could be performed by small workshops, with the firearms assembled at the Enfield site. Over the period of manufacture the Sten design was further simplified: the most basic model, the Mark III, could be produced from five man-hours work. Some of the cheapest versions were made from only 47 different parts. It was distinctive for its bare appearance (just a pipe with a metal loop for a stock), and its horizontal magazine. The Mark I was a more finely finished weapon with a wooden foregrip and handle; later versions were generally more spartan, although the final version, the Mark V, which was produced after the threat of invasion had died down, was produced to a higher standard.

Michael

Sten Mk. V. Some had a forward pistol grip.

Sten-Mark5-Arnheim-px800.jpg

Watched it and it should be mandatory viewing for Market-Garden fans. Nice shots of Panthers around 38 and 42 minutes and maybe a Tiger(?). Looed like they wore their helmets initially in combat, but berets at other times.

And yes their Sten guns had front grips.

The amazing thing for me is that the guys in the movie were actually re-fighting the battle but now for the cameras.

Must have been a strange feeling for many of them, seeing their friends die for the 2nd time.

I suspect the ones dying "for the 2nd time" may have been actors.

Although am still hoping for CM: BEYOND ZOMBIES

Ha ha

Re-fighting that battle on the same ground with the area looking exactly how they left it a year or so earlier, but I suspect you knew exactly what I meant, you naughty man :)