British Paras

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if the veil is not a separate texture. It would need to be a modification of the blouse texture at the neck line.

Way above my skill level to be sure but we have some pretty talented modders in the community so I'm certain someone will tackle the task. Perhaps the same bloke who will mod those helmets to include some proper camouflage.

Well if the veil is not a separate texture. It would need to be a modification of the blouse texture at the neck line.

Way above my skill level to be sure but we have some pretty talented modders in the community so I'm certain someone will tackle the task. Perhaps the same bloke who will mod those helmets to include some proper camouflage.

So it can be done then?

If its not modelled and only painted on it will only look OK at certain angles and then get stretched and look odd from other points of view. Someone like vein who has a knack for mapping the textures on the models might have a shot at making something decent. In that respect yes it could be done IMO.

Did I see two different para shots.. some with the Denison smock and another in full Wools? Just checking.. maybe one was the British Regular foreces.. or Canadian.. not sure. Can anyone eleborate on the Screen shots.

Also the German Waffen SS screenshot looked all wrong. It appears they are wearing smocks.. and the pants are the same style.. which would be incorrect unless they were trying to make the 44 dot pattern.. which would have been alot different in color looking.

Most of them wore either Dot bottoms and smocks "oak leaf" Plane Tree" with wool bottoms or Dot 44 Top. Most of them were pretty muched mixed..

Anyways its a small matter.

Trivia.. did you know besides the RZM.. Hugo Boss assisted manufactured their uniforms?

Wodin

I mentioned the paras beret and the commandos (surely this all they wore on raids) beanie hat on another thread when the first CW screenshots appeared in Nov/Dec

The opinion of several members was that these would not have been worn in combat and therefore it is not pratical to have them in game.

I am sure too, that i have seen pics of the both of these being worn in combat and would wish that they be in the game.

If this is not the case, i will stand corrected.

Beanie hats by the commandos where also worn. Pretty sure of it.

Quote for Armourer Military Magazine..

"By mid-1942 the legendary ‘red beret’ was issued. This item bore the cap badge of the wearer's unit and was such an item of pride that they were often worn even in combat zones. The first type of steel helmet was an odd affair with a large lip of rubber around the lower edge which stuck out at the back. Someone saw sense and by 1942 the second type was in use. This had a slight flare to the base of the shell which was hidden by a thick band of hardened material (probably composite rubber). The third variant lost the flare and thick band but was basically the same helmet. Both had a substantial leather harness and chincup which fit around the wearer's head and face. This harness was either riveted or stitched together and secured into the helmet with four sturdy screws. Talking to veterans, I have been told that the harness could be uncomfortable and would actually ‘move’ during jumps or landings."

http://www.collectorcafe.com/article_archive.asp?article=420&id=1756

Interesting thread... I know the Germans would carry either their Feldmutz, or Schiffchen into combat and wear them probably in the same way the GI,'s British Paras would as well. Probably depended if they were in immediate contact with the enemy. Although personally I would probably be wearing my helmet in front line combat.

Anyways im sure that someone will make a mod with some differences just to get that Red Beret in game.

Official kit in combat was supposed to be the para helmet. Most photos of troops being loaded for a combat drop appear to show this:

Pic_IndCoyTakeOff.jpg

Pic_Paras1.jpg

Pic_ParaHorsa1.jpg

Pic_HorsaMedics.jpg

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/frames.htm

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/frames.htm

Whether any of them wore their berets in combat is a different story. We all know the British have always had an informal approach to uniforms. I am reminded of a story of a british officer who was captured in North Africa, he was wearing corduroy pants, civilian shirt and sweater, his only piece of uniform being a beret. The Germans had to take him at his word that he was not a civilian. :)

Wasn't it officer's who sometimes wore the berry?

I can see the odd soldier wearing the berry in the photo's. Also when I've seen the berry worn it's normally been the Normandy landings attack on pegasus bridge (which these photo's sort of scupper) and the attack to take out the Arty piece though not sure I've seen it worn for MG.

I'm sure I can recollection that the germans called them Red Devils because of the beret...again I could be wrong.

Anyway an option would have been great.

If there are any old soldiers around who fought in those battles I suppose will be the people to ask...however finding them is another thing altogether..

Another Picture.. this one taken from Arnhem 1st Battalion. Courtesy of Wikipedia. Although Im pretty sure they all were wearing Para Helmets in cases like Pegasus, Arnhem.. Is it possible some of them preferred the Para Helmet over the Mk II etc. I have seen Numerous pictures wear Commandos, and Para Elements wearing their Beret and Helmet Mixed. I am pretty sure someone will just mod it making at the very least the officer in Beret or one of the troopers... Anyways I really cant wait for the Commonwealth forces to come out.. Already pre-orederd.

Anyways I really cant wait for the Commonwealth forces to come out.. Already pre-orederd.

I am sure someone will do a spot of modding, whether it is realistic or not. Highlight of the year though, will be the Arnhem module.

This time OMG will succeed!