Map design in the standard and Gold games

I guess that there must have been a previous version or versions of the Strategic Command forum. I used to post on it in relation to the early version of SC and the forum s/w will not let me use my usual name of mcaryf so I am probably still registered as an old user but with a defunct email address so I cannot check my old password.

The reason for this preamble is because you might have had discussions before about the design decisions in the standard map I am raising in this post if so I apologise for revisiting an old topic.

I waited to comment until I had downloaded the demo version of the Gold map to see if it has the same map design approach and it appears that it does.

My concern with the map design is that it appears as if it is trying to engineer the historic outcome in some situations. An example of this is the representation of Midway, which in reality is little more than a speck in the ocean, but is given three hexes so it can potentially accommodate 3 units which makes it harder for the Axis to approach by sea and capture it. On the other hand Malta, which in reality covers many times the area of Midway, is given a single hex thus limiting the ability of the Axis to mount an airborne operation. Giving Malta two hexes (e.g. hex 80,27 acting as Gozo with a notional road link as used for the Solomons) would have the additional benefit of allowing air battles to be fought there as well as leaving room for a garrison and the Axis would still need to devote attacks to reducing the strength of Malta before attempting to land.

Were these two different approaches to real geography taken deliberately with the historic outcomes for these islands in mind?

Regards

Mike

I'll be honest in that I suspect this is something that was never considered much in detail... for example I believe earlier maps of the European Theater always had Malta as a single tile and Midway in the Pacific release was likely larger.

When the maps were referenced to create a larger Global map this is likely just how the combination turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I disagree with your assessment, rather just trying to highlight that there is always so much to consider in the design and that there will always be parts of the campaigns that we either overlook and not necessarily purposefully so.

AI also cant invade a single tile. They have to land. A human player its no problem and Hubert's solution of attack from amphib works. But since this is a single unit per tile game its tough to make islands with stacking.

I do have some ideas though Hubert.