Historical German Heer camo question.

Wodin

During the time line the game covers what was the main uniform that the German Inf where wearing. Was it field grey or was it a Camo (I know the SS wore Camo I want to know about the Heer). If the Heer troops wore Camo and a mod ha sbeen made the type worn can someone link me.

Thanks

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1157

This is nice and historically acurate mod.

Main uniform of german infantry at that time was feldgrau woolen tunic, trousers and anckle marching boots. Some soldiers wore camo tunics or trousers as well.

As far as I know Wehrmacht used mostly one camouflage design-splittermuster. There was also tan&water camo pattern used by both Heer and Luftwaffe.

All other camo patterns were designed and used by SS units.

The reason I don't use that (otherwise excellent) uniform mod, is that the way the camo clothing is done is not historically correct. German Heer and LW infantry did not have camo tunics, only parkas, (winter)trousers and camo smocks, which were similar to the ones of the W-SS, but with a different cut and two different patterns, calles "Splinter" and "Sumpf" pattern. Those weren't totally rare by 1944, but IMHO require a different 3D model to look convincing.

camosmock.png

From what you've seen of the SS in the preview screenshots of the C-module, do you uniform gurus think BFC has changed that 3D model enough that SS cammo smocks will look convincing?

I haven't seen a good screen shot with the SS yet to tell. But certainly the present model would have to be changed, even slightly. The raised lapels and epaulletes are modelled for tunics in the present game.

The most common Camo tunic would be the 12SS Hitler Jugen mod. True it coverts your pixel troops to SS but its realistic as that formation used HBT pea dot tunics. Not smocks typically.

There a thousands of pics that prove otherwise. In fact I'd say pea dot tunics were rather rare for the 12th SS. I know one (famous) picture of that badly bruised SS kid and he did indeed wear a tunic. All other pictures I know show boys in Type 42 and sometimes Type 38 camo smocks and on a few occasions in camoed overalls in the Italian pattern, which I guess they got from their sister division the 1st SS.

But that's only true for 12th SS, other SS formations seem to have been equipped with camo tunics more lavishly, while camo overalls were pretty much only worn by 12th SS in Normandy.

12th%20ss%20panzer%20division%20hitlerjugend.jpg

Thanks for saving me from posting that pic. I do believe these guys are 12HJ, but I did root out some 10SS. It was probably used in greater numbers in the 10th than 12th which had a mixed bag of everything from italian etc. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has the source for these pics and says hey thats from some other division.

Bottom line Its safe to say the most prevalent camouflage tunic was Dot Peas worn almost exclusively by the SS.

BUNDES1.jpg?t=1326323656

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1977-143-25_Frankreich_SS-Grenadier.jpg?t=1326323672

Dead_german_member_of_Waffen-SS.jpg?t=1326323687

Yeah you're right, theyre all 12 SS, Ive seen all of them before, but didnt remember which type of camo clorthing could be seen in them.

The first is from the rather well known Norrey en Bessin series. A series which predominantely shows SS soldiers (if I was at home I could check from which batallion) and most of them wear smocks or overalls.

But yeah pea dot tunics were exclusively used by the SS, and tunics in other patterns were EXTREMELY rare and usually field-tailored. Nearing the end of the war a new pattern called Leibermuster was to be introduced, but almost no fotos of tunics in that pattern (in the field) exist.

Yeah you're right, theyre all 12 SS, Ive seen all of them before, but didnt remember which type of camo clorthing could be seen in them.

The first is from the rather well known Norrey en Bessin series. A series which predominantely shows SS soldiers (if I was at home I could check from which batallion) and most of them wear smocks or overalls.

The series that includes the photos of the bandaged Max Wunsche, is I believe, all of 15. Kompanie / 25th PG Regiment (the regiment's organic recce unit) with officers from other elements of the division visiting. Not sure if the young MGer in the dot peas uniform is part of that series, however.

Series can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spzabt/5341221597/in/photostream/