Hyptherical Invasion of Iran OOB, opinions?

Boche

Hey there players!

first explian. The past couple of weeks ive been toying with making a campaign on a hypothetical invasion of Iran. Ive wanted to write out the whole OOB down to combat battalion level (excluding fire, engineer air brigades etc etc, you will see.) similar to the thread "Provisional Allied order of battle for Syria, which is a great thread btw.

I believe that if I finish the campaign I can later go on to do mini-campaigns withing the same universe say this time with a Stryker brigade combat team or an Infantry BCT, or a British unit. Writing a story always gets me excited!

Bad thing is my PC (the one I play CMSF on) burnt down last week forcing me to get out my back up one (while the other one is in repairs) which basically is only usefull for the internet, thus I started my research into both the US and Iranian OOB. And let me say I have already profited from this project in the way of knowledge on both fronts, its been great to find out how the new Modular Combat Brigade system works in the future US Army.

Still, taking hints from the Iraq invasion (2003) OOB, the Provisional Allied invasion of Syria thread and the study of the US Army OOB (today) ive come up with a first draft:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

III CORPS (INVADING FROM IRAQ) -

5TH SPECIAL FORCES GROUP

3RD BATTALION, 7TH RANGER REGIMENT

1ST SFOD-D

------------1ST CAVALRY DIVISION-------------

-1ST BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY)

2/5 CAVALRY "LANCERS"

2/8 CAVALRY "STALLIONS"

1/21 INFANTRY (STRYKER) (25 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-1ST BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (STRYKER) (25 INFANTRY DIVISION)

1/5 INFANTRY

3/21 INFANTRY

1/24 INFANTRY

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY)

3/8 CAVALRY "WARHORSE"

1/12 CAVALRY "CHARGERS"

1/16 INFANTRY "IRON RANGERS" (1ST INFANTRY DIVISION)

-4TH BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY)

2/7 CAVALRY "GHOST"

2/12 CAVALRY "THUNDERHORSE"

------------1ST ARMORED DIVISION---------------

-1ST BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (STRYKER)

4/17 INFANTRY

1/36 INFANTRY

3/41 INFANTRY

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY)

1/6 INFANTRY

1/36 ARMOR

1/18 INFANTRY (1 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (INFANTRY)

1/41 INFANTRY

2/5 INFANTRY

-4TH BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY)

4/6 INFANTRY

1/77 ARMOR

------------2nd INFANTRY DIVISION----------------

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (STRYKER)

2/1 INFANTRY

1/17 INFANTRY

4/23 INFANTRY

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY) (4 INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/8 INFANTRY (FIRST AT NORMANDY)

1/67 ARMOR (DEATH DEALERS)

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (HEAVY) (1ST CAVALRY DIVISION)

1/5 CAVALRY "BLACK KNIGHTS"

1/8 CAVALRY "MUSTANGS"

2/34 ARMOR "DREADNAUGHTS" (1ST INFANTRY DIVISION)

-7TH ARMOURED BRIGADE (UK)

The Royal Dragoon Guards

the QUEENS ROYAL HUSSARS

4 The Highlanders Mech Infantry battalion

3 Mercian Mech Infantry regiment (BAT)

2 Royal Fusiliers Infantry regiment (BAT)

------------101st Airborne Division-------------

-1st Brigade Combat team

1/327 INFANTRY "ABOVE THE REST"

2/327 INFANTRY "NO SLACK"

-4TH BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/506 INFANTRY "RED CURRAHEE"

2/506 INFANTRY "WHITE CURRAHEE"

-1ST BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION)

1/504 INFANTRY

2/504 INFANTRY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

IV CORPS (INVADING FROM AFGHANISTAN)-

2ND BATTALION, 75TH RANGER REGIMENT

10TH SPECIAL FORCES GROUP

22 SAS REGIMENT

------------TASK FORCE "SPEAR"-----------------------

-2ND STRYKER CAVALRY REGIMENT

1ST SQUADRON "WAR EAGLES

2ND SQUADRON "COUGARS"

3RD SQUADRON "WOLFPACK"

1/63 ARMOR "DRAGONS" (1ST INFANTRY DIVISION)

------------3RD (UK) MECHANIZED DIVISION (HQ)----------------------

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "IRON" (4TH INFANTRY DIVISION)

1/8 INFANTRY

1/68 ARMOR

-172 INFANTRY BRIGADE

3/66 ARMOR

1/2 INFANTRY

2/28 INFANTRY

-173 AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/503 INFANTRY

2/503 INFANTRY

-12TH MECHANISED BRIGADE

KINGS ROYAL HUSSARS (ARMOURED)

2 ROYAL TANK REGIMENT (ARMOURED)

1/ROYAL REGIMENT OF FUSILIERS (ARMOURED INFANTRY)

3/YORKSHIRE REGIMENT (MECH)

1/THE ROYAL ANGLIAN REGIMENT (MECH)

-------------82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION------------------

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/325 INFANTRY

2/325 INFANTRY

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/505 INFANTRY

2/505 INFANTRY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically my reasons for going for thiis ORBAT are:

(DISCLAIMERS: as with CMSF this is a totally ficticious work, probably more than half of this ORBAT would not be possible in real life nor would it ever happen, but, as with battlefront did with CMSF and the invasion of Syria, im taking the "what-if" road and stretching reality.)

III CORPS (IRAQ)

-Since over 80% of Irans army is located or in close position to Iraqs borders (and since Iraq is the place IMO the invasion is more likely to start from) most of the invasion force (III corps) and its 3 heavy frontline reinforced divisions are here (1st CAV,1st ARMORED, 2 ID).

-101ST has 2 air assault brigades and 1 parachute brigade attached from the 82nd (for whatever operations may occur aswell as supply convoy protection)

---1st Armored:

Expected enemy: strenght equivalent to 3 infantry divisions, Plus maybe some armour but not in large numbers.

Terrain: very mountanous

Division set up reason: 2 Heavy Brigades for push, 1 Stryker Brigade for manoeuver options, 1 Infantry Brigade for select mountain combat/rear protection

Target: Reach Caspian sea and follow highway towards Capital

---1st Cav:

Expected Enemy: Equivalent to 2 Armored divisions, 2 mechanized divisions and 1 Infantry division

Terrain: both mountanous and open (changed a bit for gameplay sake)

Division Set up reason: 3 Reinforced heavy brigades to contend with enemy armour, 1 Stryker Brigade for manoeuver options/rear protection)

Target: Penetrate deep into Iran and turn north towards Capital

---2 Infantry Division:

Expected Enemy: Equivalent to 1 Armoured division (Irans Best), 2 infantry divisions.

Terrain: Open at first, and becomes slightly more mountanous

Division set up reason: 3 Heavy brigades to push Irans best Armored divisions,1 Stryker Brigade for Maneuver options.

Target: Penetrate Irans best Armored unit, turn south east and secure the coast line.

IV CORPS (AFGHANISTAN)

-Iran has few units of bad/medium quality on their eastern border,

-joint British and US attack.

-82nd airborne (2 parachute brigades) to jump onto targets of importance and hold.

---3rd Mechanized Division (UK)

Expected enemy: whole eastfront manned by equivalent of 1 Armored division, 1 Mechanized division and 1 infantry division, all spread out.

Terrain: Open

Division Set up reason: 1 heavy brigade and 1 reinforced (1 heavy battalion) infantry brigade for punch, 1 brit mechanized brigade for menouver, 1 airborne infantry brigade for ser target jumps.

Target: Both City of Mashad and south east Iran.

---Task Force "Spear"

Expected enemy: 1 Infantry Division (poor quiality)

Terrain: Open, highway

Division set up reason: 1 Stryker Brigade for Manoever options plus a Heavy battalion for extra punch.

Target. Bypass Mashad city and follow highway towards Tehran

Thoughts:

There is a thing that bugs me, and that I believe this invasion force is actually smaller than the one "hypthetically" used in Syria in CMSF, plus I think its even too small to take on Iran, whith quite large armed forces and their huge Basij forces (although to bring these into play always would be complicated)

Also since im not very familiar with other NATO counties OOBs it would be complicated to fit them in here, atleast from my end.

So, anyway guys, any suggestions? Is this OOB too small as I think it is?

Personally I think it is extremely small to take on a country the size of Iran (75 million people). Russia used 3 divisions to take on Georgia and you are proposing to defeat Iran with 6?

Just a quick check on wikipedia shows the 1991 Gulf War involved 11 US/UK combat divisions as well as a large number of allied blocking forces. The 2003 invasion used about 12 against an even weaker opponent. I am not even including the enormous amount of artillery, logistic etc support involved. This was a campaign against a lesser enemy, in a smaller battlespace, in favourable terrain, with far more limited objectives.

The problem about invading Iran strikes me as being threefold:

Firstly the size of the country means supply lines are going to get extremely stretched

Secondly the large population would not take kindly to invasion.

Finally, Iran will use its rough terrain to its advantage, trading space for a steady flow of casualties that may well become unsustainable before the government capitulates.

I am interested by the idea though, and I will see how this thread develops :)

exactly thats what I thought, it seems very small.

as to the 2003 invasion, as far as I am aware of it also had 6 to 7 divisions.

If we count the 1st MEF, which consisted on the equivalent of 3 divisions

then V Corps fielded 4 divisions but only 3 actually invaded (4th ID invasion stopped by Turkey)

I count 6 invasion divisions, Unless im doing something wrong. :D

Also comparing the Gulf war and Operation Iraqi Freedom was very interesting. How such a large force was deployed against Iraq compared to 2003 (again as far as I know and read) is IMO fascinating. It can be seen in the numbers:

Desert Storm: 650,000

Iraqi Freedom: 193,000 (of which 145,000 where americans) (also not counting the 70,000 od peshmergas to the north)

as I get from wiki, The US fielded 9 divisions, coalition troops fielded 3.

In relation to the OOB of artilery, cavalry (recon), engineer, MP assets etc, I think we can leave out of the planning for a CMSF campaign, since CMSF really isnt their to simulate operations and we can just give the unit some arty, air or engineer support if the scenario needs it.

As to the size of Iran, indeed its big. As I said in the explanation, since the vast majority of Irans military and its best units are stations on the border with Iraq, this is where most of the fight would occur. The east seems to be an "easy grab" for any sizable coalition force. The distance from the Iraq border to the capital is "only" slightly longer than the march to Baghdad, ofcourse with all the mountanous terrain. Still I think since were going to concentrate on company/company plus engagements its not CMSFs stuff to worry about :). Still a scenario or two depicting an attack on a supply convoy in the rear wouldnt be out of the question.

The population would be unhelpful, plus again we would have to count in the Basij militia, which by the looks of it even by low estimations can form several division sized units around the country. Still again, it becomes way too complicated if we try and fit everything into the planning of the CMSF campaign, in the end were not working for the MoD but trying to create an interesting storyline.

I would still probably take the basij into account in a couple of scenarios, with low quality battalion sized militia units! should be fun to watch!

As to using the terrain to their advantage, seeing how some of their commando divisions train thats exactly what they intend to do. Plus since I was planning on having few replacements in the campaign, that would probably be the challenge.

Its an interesting topic to talk about, Ill probably make out another draft later on today, including many more Divs and full corps from other countries.

Cheers! and keep on the discussions!

I will take your word for in on the 2003 war - I just did a very quick count from wikipedia, and lumped some independent brigades together to make division. As you say, the numbers of personnel are very different :)

With regard to the Iranian ORBAT - they seem to have a remarkably small number of listed troops for a country of its size. Does anyone know why this is the case?

What are the chances of new divisions suddenly appearing out of nowhere once the reservists are called up?

With respect to the route from Baghdad to Tehran, the terran looks just awful, especially considering there is over 500km of it.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/54145281?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

Very pretty but difficult enough getting a company up it, let alone trying to put 4 combat divisions and their logistical tail up it, preying that there are no attacks/breakdows/need to reorganise order of march. A single division typically advances up multiple roads to prevent massive tailbacks but there just arn't any in that part of Iran. In this example, the next nearby road is nearly 8km away and looks even more dangerous.

Essentially, terrain like this could stop a major attack all by itself, without the need to defend it.

Further south, you could make further progress from Basra but the mountains protecting Esfahan are literally a wall with a few single lane roads winding their way over some high passes.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4769552?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

Maybe I would like to go there one day, but with a camera, not a tank! (actually, looking at photographs of likely routes reminds me how beautiful Iran is!)

Afghanistan looks a little more promising from attackers point of view (as in merely :( and not :eek:) - except that it would take so long to get to Tehran that defending forces could reposition into the mountains around the city. Also, supply into Afghanistan is hard enough right now without adding some highly mechanised high intensity warfare.

Finally, any attack from the Persian Gulf would quickly turn into gallipoli again.

Um. I guess the short answer is that an Iraq style invasion is militarily impossible. I tried to look into options but there does not seem to be any feasable way to deliver a significant force into the important Iranian cities and conquer the country. I will even state that Iran is probably one of the hardest countries to invade in the world. The only states that are in a position to do it according to the terrain are landlocked themselves...

I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions and any AARs but I think that it will have to be a fictional country if you want to realistically invade it!

Thank you for the input!

in the question of Iranian divisions and troop numbers they seem to have quite the standing army (some 16-18 divisions). And thats not including the actual "Army of the Guards of the Islamic Republic" (which seems to be sort of an armed force in itself with ground, air and naval units) and the Basij popular militia.

Some guy over at an iranian defense forum wrote out a good 142 page report on Irans Ground Forces (Army only), their Air defense networks and their Navy:

you can find them all here:

http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=65896

And well following your sugestions it seems in reality its all imposible, but, im still going ahead with it :D no real harm in twisting reality a bit (or alot!). Ive learned so much already I might aswell follow this though to the end or to wherever it takes me.

Thanks Hcrof and Erwin.

BTW im half way through another OOB list, this time much larger and including NATO armies

and PS: if you want to see where the report says Iranian Army units are positioned, here is the picture that comes with it (next post)

It would be like Afghanistan, but 10-100 times harder (and vote losing).

The vote losing bit. Unless something like a dirty bomb was detonated in Europe and the US and traced back to Iran. Please not psliding into politics of the past, just hypothetical.

It's an interesting idea. Can CMSF's content represent with the Iranian OOB well enough.

If you make certain compromises....yes.

All the information I have is from that report I linked earlier:

For example, as far as small arms go most Iranian units still use ak47s/74s and the like, while more "elite" commando infantry units and spec ops use G3s and localy produced KH 2002s.

As for anti tank small arms they use: the RPG-7, RPG-18 and RPG-29, of which atleast 2 are ingame so no major problems here.

anti tank crew served weapons include: SPG 9 and m40 recoilless rifles, first ingame.

ATGMs include: seems to be lots of old generation TOWs aswell as their locally produced version the Toofan (wont use these for obviouse reasons), upgraded AT-3s, AT-4/5s, AT-6 (helos) and AT-11 and the m47 Dragon, most ingame.

And as for vehicles, the thing with the Iranian army is that they have lots of different model vehicles, from M47s, Chieftans to upgraded T-72s, and APCs from BTR-60s to M113s to both BMP1s and BMP 2s. Still I believe we can find equivalent or so vehicles for them in CMSF.

For example M47s can be substituted by T54s and so on and so on depending on the quality of the unit, and for APCs we can just use the BTR-60s and BMP models already in game.

Plus for example, since we are already stretching reality and I want to put in some T-90s...might aswell

But does Iran have any vehicles even approaching a T-90? From my understanding the best they have are locally produced, upgraded T-72's.

Oh I know that, but ever since I played "Forging Steel" ive always wanted more battles fighting T-90s. I would be doing what BFC did with the USMC module, and adding weapons the enemy doenst have. But when I do it only the Armies 92nd Armored division or units from the Guards of the Islamic Revolution units. It wont be often.

Indeed, theirs lots of things to try. in the terms of uncons, I was planning on taking inspiration from the Iraq invasion and do some attacks from US Spec Ops-backed iranian insurgents on iranian army bases pre-invasion. Since AFAIK the main puprouse of Irans divisions on the afghan border is counter-insurgency.

Thought the Iranians had fielded the Zulfiqar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulfiqar_(tank) in small nummbers, perhaps about a hundred or so.

I would suspect a major role for a major Marine amphibious assault perhaps on the GGulf of Oman coast, less likely along the Persian Gulf coast until later in the campaign. I suspect the Zagros mountains could be a serious obstacle alhough it might be possible to outflank them if you coul seize the port of Bandar Abbas. Think Maginot Line/

I suspect any conflict would be fought by air and sea but wargaming a land invasion is interesting.

Luke

Indeed. the Iranians have Zulfiqar tanks in service but numbers are unclear, anyway isnce the vehicle isnt represented ingame it will have to be represented by another tank,

the breakdown of their armor would be like this (following report) :

Zulfiqar : Number uknown

Chieftan: 136-204 (asuming 100% unit strength)

T-54/55/SAFIR-74: 200

T-62: Number uknown

T-72: 563

M-47/M-48: about 68 each

M-60: 136-204 (asuming 100% unit strength)

Also add that their seem to be some armoured brigades with unacounted for armour, so number could be higher,

And about a heavy invasion through the Gulf of Oman, Im no inteligence analyst nor have I looked into it but IMO a reinforced Marine division invasion here would be a waste of their force, since there are no major cities nearby, no major military units (1 division) and no strategic objectives as far as I am aware of. In the OOB I remade I have the 1st MEF (plus elmnts of 2 Marine Division) invading from Iraq.

You would need a major port like Bandar Abbas to support a mechanized drive to Tehran. There might be other Iranian ports that could also be used. The reason I suggest the Marines is that the US has now witnhdrawn from Iraq and might not be llowed to use that country as a basing area for an inmvasion. A Northern thrust via Turkey might be possible but politically unfeasible. Basinng a mechanized thrust in Afghanistan is probably a non starter. If Pakistan closed the supply routes your mechanized drive woul grind to a halt very fast. Which leaves a Normandy style invasion as the only real option. You would first have to seize a lodgemen, take a port or two in good repaiir or do a modern day version of the Mulburry harbours. Then you would have to build up for your mechanized breakout to take Tehran. We are looking at a campaign lasting a minimum of 3 months or so assuming all goes well

Luke

Indeed, you are most likely correct.

The invasion in theory is based around 2009-2010 in line with CMSF equipment.

I think taking into consideration all that we have said in the post is that such an invasion would be unfeasable slash imposible. Thats why this plan for the campaign will probably take us into fantasy territory. I basically started this OOB research to learn about how the modern US and other armies are structured. Found it inmensely interesting so far! If i start wargaming it and making it as real real as possible its going to take some of the fun and the campaign motivation out of me and once its gone its gone! Im just like that.

And please any comments on how this would affect reality are ofcourse more than welcome, you (or atelast me) learn something with every post so thank you!

ill post the OOB in the next post.

Well, after reaching the conclusion that the original Order of Battle for the Allied invasion of Iran was too small, I started working on another, bigger one:

This is what ive come up with now:

Notes to why certain units are included at the end of the list.

Also give a big thanks to Sequoias previous Allied order of battle thread, which helped me allot especially with the Euro order of battle.

And ofcourse this OOB was written down with the Hypothesis that supply to these units would not be a problem and is basically a fantasy scenario.

The invasion force is composed of 2 front, West (from Iraq) and East (from Afghanistan)

-Western Invasion force:

-

III CORPS "PHANTOM" (NORTH)-

2/75TH RANGER REGIMENT

------------------1ST MEF-------------------

13TH MEU

15TH MEU

--------------1ST MARINE DIVISION---------------

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 1

1/1 MARINES

2/1 MARINES

3/1 MARINES

3/4 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 5

1/5 MARINES

2/5 MARINES

3/5 MARINES

2/4 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 7

1/7 MARINES

2/7 MARINES

3/7 MARINES

3/4 MARINES

-A,B AND D COMPANIES 1 TANK BATTALION

-A AND B COMPANIES 1ST LAR BATTALION

-ELMTS 1ST RECON BATTALION

-------------2ND MARINE DIVISION----------------

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 2

1/2 MARINES

2/2 MARINES

3/2 MARINES

3/9 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 8

1/8 MARINES

2/8 MARINES

3/8 MARINES

1/9 MARINES

-A AND B COMPANIES 2 TANK BATTALION

-B AND D COMPANIES 2 LAR BATTALION

-ELMTS 2 RECON BATTALION

------------1ST ARMORED DIVISION----------------

-1ST STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "READY FIRST"

4/17 INFANTRY

1/36 INFANTRY

3/41 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "HEAVY METAL"

1/6 INFANTRY

1/35 ARMOR

4/6 INFANTRY (4HBCT/1ST ARMORED)

-3RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "BULLDOGS"

1/41 INFANTRY

2/5 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "DAGGER BRIGADE" (1ST INFANTRY

DIVISION)

1/63 ARMOR "DRAGONS"

1/18 INFANTRY "VANGUARDS"

1/77 ARMOR (4HBCT/1ST ARMORED)

------------1ST CAVALRY DIVISION-----------------

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

2/5 CAVALRY "LANCERS"

2/8 CAVALRY "STALLIONS"

2/7 CAVALRY "GHOST" (4HBCT/1ST CAV)

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/5 CAVALRY

1/8 CAVALRY

2/12 CAVALRY "THUNDERHORSE" (4HBCT/1ST CAV)

-3RD HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

3/8 CAVALRY "WARHORSE"

1/12 CAVALRY "CHARGERS"

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "DEVIL BRIGADE" (1ST INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/34 ARMOR "DREADNAUGHTS"

1/15 INFANTRY "IRON RANGERS"

------------3RD INFANTRY DIVISION---------------

1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "RAIDERS"

2/7 INFANTRY

3/69 ARMOR

2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "SPARTAN"

1/64 ARMOR

1/30 INFANTRY

3RD HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "SLEDGE HAMMER"

2/69 ARMOR

1/15 INFANTRY

4TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

3/15 INFANTRY

3/7 INFANTRY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

EURO CORPS(WEST)-

----------Etat-Major de Force 2 Division HQ (FRANCE)-------------------

-6TH ARMOURED CAVALRY BRIGADE

France 2 Foreign Legion Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

France 21 Marine Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

-2ND ARMOURED BRIGADE

France 501 de Chars Armored regiment (battalion sized unit)

France Marche du Tchad Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

France 16 de Chasseurs Mech Infantry battalion

-1ST MECH BRIGADE (CANADA)

Canada 1 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Mech battalion

Canada 2 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Mech battalion

Canada 3 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Infantry battalion

----------1ST "BRUNETE" MECHANIZED DIVISION (SPAIN)-----------------

-7TH "GUADARRAMA" ARMOURED INFANTRY BRIGADE

61ST "ALCAZAR DE TOLEDO" ARMOURED INFANTRY REGIMENT

----"COVADONGA I" MECHANIZED INFANTRY BATTALION

31ST "ASTURIAS" MECHANIZED REGIMENT

----"WADRAS II" ARMOURED INFANTRY BATTALION (ARMOR)

----"LEON III" ARMOURED INFANTRY BATTALION (ARMOR)

-6TH "EXTREMADURA" MECHANIZED INFANTRY BRIGADE

6TH "SABOYA" MECHANIZED REGIMENT

---MECHANIZED BATTALION

16TH "cASTILLA MECHANIZED REGIMENT

---MECHANIZED/ARMOURED BATTALION

-----------10TH PANZER DIVISION (GERMANY)-----------------

-12TH PANZER BRIGADE

Germany 104 Panzer battalion

Germany 112 Panzergrenadier battalion

Germany 122 Panzergrenadier battalion

-23RD GEBIRGSJAEGER BRIGADE

Germany 231 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

Germany 232 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

Germany 233 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

-FRANCO GERMAN BRIGADE

Germany 292 Light Mech Infantry battalion

France 110 Mech Infantry battalion regiment

-NETHERLANDS 13 MECH BRIGADE

Netherlands 11 "Huzaren Van Sytzama" Armored battalion

Netherlands 17 "Fuseliers Prinses Irene" Guards Mech Infantry battalion

Netherlands 42 "Limburgse Jagers" Mech Infantry battalion

---

Corps Assets:

---

-1st Brigade Combat team

-4TH BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/504 INFANTRY

2/504 INFANTRY

------------35TH INFANTRY DIVISION (MN AND IA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD)----------------

-33RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (IL NG)

2/130 INFANTRY

1/178 INFANTRY

-39TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (AR NG)

1/153 INFANTRY

2/153 INFANTRY

-48TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (GA NG)

1/121 INFANTRY

2/121 INFANTRY

------------28TH INFANTRY DIVISION (PA AND FL ARMY NATIONAL GUARD)--------------

2ND INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (FL NG)

1/175 INFANTRY

1/110 INFANTRY

53RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (PA NG)

1/124 INFANTRY

3/124 INFANTRY

56TH STYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (PA NG)

1/111 INFANTRY

1/112 INFANTRY

2/112 INFANTRY

-Eastern invasion force

-

EUROCORPS(EAST)

-

3/75TH RANGER REGIMENT

5TH SPECIAL FORCES GROUP

22 SAS REGIMENT

-----------25TH INFANTRY DIVISION (HQ)-----------------

-2ND STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/14 INFANTRY

1/21 INFANTRY

1/27 INFANTRY

2/9 INFANTRY (HEAVY) (1 HBCT/2 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-3RD STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (2ND INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/3 INFANTRY

5/20 INFANTRY

1/23 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "WARHORSE" (4TH INFANTY DIVISION)

2/8 INFANTRY

1/67 ARMOR

------------------TASK FORCE "SPEAR" (2ID HQ)--------------------

-2ND STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (2ND INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/1 INFANTRY

1/17 INFANTRY

4/23 INFANTRY

1/72 ARMOR (1 HBCT/2 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (4TH INFANTRY DIVISION)

1/22 INFANTRY

1/66 ARMOR

-3RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "BRONCOS"

2/27 INFANTRY "WOLFHOUNDS"

2/35 INFANTRY "CACTI"

-----------1ST ARMOURED DIVISION (UK)------------------

-7TH ARMOURED BRIGADE

UK Royal Scots Guards Armoured battalion

UK The Highlanders Mech Infantry battalion

UK 3 Mercian Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 2 Royal Fusiliers Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

-20TH ARMOURED BRIGADE

THE QUEENS ROYAL HUSSARS (ARMOURED)

1 PRINCESS OF WALES ROYAL MECH INFANTRY REGIMENT

5 THE RIFLES (ARMOURED MECH INFANTRY INFANTRY

1 THE YORKSHIRE REGIMENT (LIGHT ROLE)

-12TH MECH BRIGADE

UK The Kings Royal Hussars Armoured battalion

UK 3 Yorkshire Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 1 Royal Anglian Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 2 Pricess of Wales Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

---

Corps Assets:

---

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/325 INFANTRY

2/325 INFANTRY

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/505 INFANTRY

2/505 INFANTRY

-173 AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (ATTACHED)

1/503 INFANTRY

2/503 INFANTRY

-172 INFANTRY BRIGADE (ATTACHED)

3/66 ARMOR

1/2 INFANTRY

2/28 INFANTRY

----------------------------------------------

Notes:

-The divisions are located how they are on the map, for example (in the west) the 1st MEF would be nearest to where the borders of Iraq, Turkey and Iran collide, while the 10th Panzer Division would be closest to Basrah. Same situation on the East.

-Why the inclusion of National Guard units? well this is an invention of mine but I thought that these divisions could give extra security to supply convoys in the inhospitable terrain of Iran (and maybe give us a good Regular US troops convoy ambush scenario)

-Inclusion of Spanish division. Since this is a fantasy scenario and the Spanish Army never gets any love from games and adding my nationality I thought why not, plus it have me the chance to delve into the Divisions order of battle. It was interesting to find that the division and its brigades still follow the Division-Brigade-Regiment-Battalion line instead of Bypassing the Regiment as most Western armies do. Still wether this Regiment HQ would actually be deployed I dont know. the Spanish OOB is very very very difficult to come by.

-Inclusion of Euro divisions give the universe much more options for possible future projects, including all NATO module armies.

Full division count: 15

Questions-

What do you think? better?

And more game news that is weirder than RL:

http://news.yahoo.com/video-game-maker-linked-us-prisoner-iran-212600834.html

http://paxsims.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/iran-covert-information-operations-and-the-politics-of-videogames/

I think I played the CIA game they mention a few years ago in my prior life. It was execrable and unplayable (at least the version I saw).

Boche your real name is not, by any chance Donald Rumsfeld is it? :-) Woops.

Since we don't have French or Spanish in the CMSF lists we will have to ignore them, On Iraq. US troops pulled out at the end of last year and, for various political and military reasons might not want to go back. First , unless you could use Saudi ports it would be dangerous to ship them through Basra. Turkey might not agree to allow US mechanized force through as happened in Operation Iraqi Freedom. And the Zagros Mountains would be a significant obstacle too mechanized forces invading from Iraq. Thi doesn't mean impossible however.

Which leads us back to the amphibious invasion obstacle, After the air.naval operations to take out Iranin aipower use the Marines to secure an amphibious lodgement reinforced by some army units. This allows you to outflank the Zagros Mountains rather like the Germans outflanked the Maginot Line in 1940. Terrain inland would be better for mechanized operations and you can link up with your thrust out of Afghanistan. Then, on to Tehran, Blitzkrieg style. However, like Iraq 2003 this plan might have to be something of a "running star2" with some of the mehanized forces landing as reinforcements.

Luke

Well, after reaching the conclusion that the original Order of Battle for the Allied invasion of Iran was too small, I started working on another, bigger one:

This is what ive come up with now:

Notes to why certain units are included at the end of the list.

Also give a big thanks to Sequoias previous Allied order of battle thread, which helped me allot especially with the Euro order of battle.

And ofcourse this OOB was written down with the Hypothesis that supply to these units would not be a problem and is basically a fantasy scenario.

The invasion force is composed of 2 front, West (from Iraq) and East (from Afghanistan)

-Western Invasion force:

-

III CORPS "PHANTOM" (NORTH)-

2/75TH RANGER REGIMENT

------------------1ST MEF-------------------

13TH MEU

15TH MEU

--------------1ST MARINE DIVISION---------------

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 1

1/1 MARINES

2/1 MARINES

3/1 MARINES

3/4 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 5

1/5 MARINES

2/5 MARINES

3/5 MARINES

2/4 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 7

1/7 MARINES

2/7 MARINES

3/7 MARINES

3/4 MARINES

-A,B AND D COMPANIES 1 TANK BATTALION

-A AND B COMPANIES 1ST LAR BATTALION

-ELMTS 1ST RECON BATTALION

-------------2ND MARINE DIVISION----------------

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 2

1/2 MARINES

2/2 MARINES

3/2 MARINES

3/9 MARINES

-REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM 8

1/8 MARINES

2/8 MARINES

3/8 MARINES

1/9 MARINES

-A AND B COMPANIES 2 TANK BATTALION

-B AND D COMPANIES 2 LAR BATTALION

-ELMTS 2 RECON BATTALION

------------1ST ARMORED DIVISION----------------

-1ST STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "READY FIRST"

4/17 INFANTRY

1/36 INFANTRY

3/41 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "HEAVY METAL"

1/6 INFANTRY

1/35 ARMOR

4/6 INFANTRY (4HBCT/1ST ARMORED)

-3RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "BULLDOGS"

1/41 INFANTRY

2/5 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "DAGGER BRIGADE" (1ST INFANTRY

DIVISION)

1/63 ARMOR "DRAGONS"

1/18 INFANTRY "VANGUARDS"

1/77 ARMOR (4HBCT/1ST ARMORED)

------------1ST CAVALRY DIVISION-----------------

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

2/5 CAVALRY "LANCERS"

2/8 CAVALRY "STALLIONS"

2/7 CAVALRY "GHOST" (4HBCT/1ST CAV)

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/5 CAVALRY

1/8 CAVALRY

2/12 CAVALRY "THUNDERHORSE" (4HBCT/1ST CAV)

-3RD HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

3/8 CAVALRY "WARHORSE"

1/12 CAVALRY "CHARGERS"

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "DEVIL BRIGADE" (1ST INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/34 ARMOR "DREADNAUGHTS"

1/15 INFANTRY "IRON RANGERS"

------------3RD INFANTRY DIVISION---------------

1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "RAIDERS"

2/7 INFANTRY

3/69 ARMOR

2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "SPARTAN"

1/64 ARMOR

1/30 INFANTRY

3RD HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "SLEDGE HAMMER"

2/69 ARMOR

1/15 INFANTRY

4TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

3/15 INFANTRY

3/7 INFANTRY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

EURO CORPS(WEST)-

----------Etat-Major de Force 2 Division HQ (FRANCE)-------------------

-6TH ARMOURED CAVALRY BRIGADE

France 2 Foreign Legion Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

France 21 Marine Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

-2ND ARMOURED BRIGADE

France 501 de Chars Armored regiment (battalion sized unit)

France Marche du Tchad Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

France 16 de Chasseurs Mech Infantry battalion

-1ST MECH BRIGADE (CANADA)

Canada 1 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Mech battalion

Canada 2 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Mech battalion

Canada 3 / "Princess Patricia's Light Infantry" Infantry battalion

----------1ST "BRUNETE" MECHANIZED DIVISION (SPAIN)-----------------

-7TH "GUADARRAMA" ARMOURED INFANTRY BRIGADE

61ST "ALCAZAR DE TOLEDO" ARMOURED INFANTRY REGIMENT

----"COVADONGA I" MECHANIZED INFANTRY BATTALION

31ST "ASTURIAS" MECHANIZED REGIMENT

----"WADRAS II" ARMOURED INFANTRY BATTALION (ARMOR)

----"LEON III" ARMOURED INFANTRY BATTALION (ARMOR)

-6TH "EXTREMADURA" MECHANIZED INFANTRY BRIGADE

6TH "SABOYA" MECHANIZED REGIMENT

---MECHANIZED BATTALION

16TH "cASTILLA MECHANIZED REGIMENT

-----------10TH PANZER DIVISION (GERMANY)-----------------

-12TH PANZER BRIGADE

Germany 104 Panzer battalion

Germany 112 Panzergrenadier battalion

Germany 122 Panzergrenadier battalion

-23RD GEBIRGSJAEGER BRIGADE

Germany 231 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

Germany 232 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

Germany 233 Gebirgsjaeger battalion

-FRANCO GERMAN BRIGADE

Germany 292 Light Mech Infantry battalion

France 110 Mech Infantry battalion regiment

-NETHERLANDS 13 MECH BRIGADE

Netherlands 11 "Huzaren Van Sytzama" Armored battalion

Netherlands 17 "Fuseliers Prinses Irene" Guards Mech Infantry battalion

Netherlands 42 "Limburgse Jagers" Mech Infantry battalion

---

Corps Assets:

---

-1st Brigade Combat team

-4TH BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/504 INFANTRY

2/504 INFANTRY

------------35TH INFANTRY DIVISION (MN AND IA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD)----------------

-33RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (IL NG)

2/130 INFANTRY

1/178 INFANTRY

-39TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (AR NG)

1/153 INFANTRY

2/153 INFANTRY

-48TH INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (GA NG)

1/121 INFANTRY

2/121 INFANTRY

------------28TH INFANTRY DIVISION (PA AND FL ARMY NATIONAL GUARD)--------------

2ND INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (FL NG)

1/175 INFANTRY

1/110 INFANTRY

53RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (PA NG)

1/124 INFANTRY

3/124 INFANTRY

56TH STYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (PA NG)

1/111 INFANTRY

1/112 INFANTRY

2/112 INFANTRY

-Eastern invasion force

-

EUROCORPS(EAST)

-

3/75TH RANGER REGIMENT

5TH SPECIAL FORCES GROUP

22 SAS REGIMENT

-----------25TH INFANTRY DIVISION (HQ)-----------------

-2ND STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/14 INFANTRY

1/21 INFANTRY

1/27 INFANTRY

2/9 INFANTRY (HEAVY) (1 HBCT/2 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-3RD STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (2ND INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/3 INFANTRY

5/20 INFANTRY

1/23 INFANTRY

-2ND HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "WARHORSE" (4TH INFANTY DIVISION)

2/8 INFANTRY

1/67 ARMOR

------------------TASK FORCE "SPEAR" (2ID HQ)--------------------

-2ND STRYKER BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (2ND INFANTRY DIVISION)

2/1 INFANTRY

1/17 INFANTRY

4/23 INFANTRY

1/72 ARMOR (1 HBCT/2 INFANTRY DIVISION)

-1ST HEAVY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (4TH INFANTRY DIVISION)

1/22 INFANTRY

1/66 ARMOR

-3RD INFANTRY BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM "BRONCOS"

2/27 INFANTRY "WOLFHOUNDS"

2/35 INFANTRY "CACTI"

-----------1ST ARMOURED DIVISION (UK)------------------

-7TH ARMOURED BRIGADE

UK Royal Scots Guards Armoured battalion

UK The Highlanders Mech Infantry battalion

UK 3 Mercian Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 2 Royal Fusiliers Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

-20TH ARMOURED BRIGADE

THE QUEENS ROYAL HUSSARS (ARMOURED)

1 PRINCESS OF WALES ROYAL MECH INFANTRY REGIMENT

5 THE RIFLES (ARMOURED MECH INFANTRY INFANTRY

1 THE YORKSHIRE REGIMENT (LIGHT ROLE)

-12TH MECH BRIGADE

UK The Kings Royal Hussars Armoured battalion

UK 3 Yorkshire Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 1 Royal Anglian Mech Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

UK 2 Pricess of Wales Infantry regiment (battalion sized unit)

---

Corps Assets:

---

-2ND BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/325 INFANTRY

2/325 INFANTRY

-3RD BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM

1/505 INFANTRY

2/505 INFANTRY

-173 AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM (ATTACHED)

1/503 INFANTRY

2/503 INFANTRY

-172 INFANTRY BRIGADE (ATTACHED)

3/66 ARMOR

1/2 INFANTRY

2/28 INFANTRY

----------------------------------------------

Notes:

-The divisions are located how they are on the map, for example (in the west) the 1st MEF would be nearest to where the borders of Iraq, Turkey and Iran collide, while the 10th Panzer Division would be closest to Basrah. Same situation on the East.

-Why the inclusion of National Guard units? well this is an invention of mine but I thought that these divisions could give extra security to supply convoys in the inhospitable terrain of Iran (and maybe give us a good Regular US troops convoy ambush scenario)

-Inclusion of Spanish division. Since this is a fantasy scenario and the Spanish Army never gets any love from games and adding my nationality I thought why not, plus it have me the chance to delve into the Divisions order of battle. It was interesting to find that the division and its brigades still follow the Division-Brigade-Regiment-Battalion line instead of Bypassing the Regiment as most Western armies do. Still wether this Regiment HQ would actually be deployed I dont know. the Spanish OOB is very very very difficult to come by.

-Inclusion of Euro divisions give the universe much more options for possible future projects, including all NATO module armies.

Full division count: 15

Questions-

What do you think? better?

hehe Rumsfled? Nah! I actually listen to my advisors! :D

As for a sea-borne invasion, it would most probably have to occur in the baluchistan-sustan province right? as to not get bottlenecked into the straight of Hormuz, where AFAIK Iran concnetrates most of its sea defenses.

Suppose the main port to go for would be Chah Bahar. Probably advance both north towards Zahedan and Bandar e Abbas and liberate that port for future supply. That more of a reasonable plan?

Probably the main reason I still want the invasion to come from Iraq is that we can get more Army mechanized action their from the start. If there is something I miss in CMSF is more good Bradley and combined arms campaigns. Plus I think a push through the mountains could give for some very interestes scenarios and maps. Plus again it gives me an excuse to have Marines, British, Germans, Dutch and Canadians on the line for future expansion.

but hey maybe we can fit a southern Iran push (maybe move the 2nd Marine Division and use them?).

Oh and btw just so you know, im very much into planning at the moment since my main PC is out until I can get new pieces for it. Im currently using my old PC, which cannot run anything, only basically runs Internet Explorer and takes a good 10-20 seconds to load each webpage...So I cant reserch sites using google earth or start scenario building yet.

hehe Rumsfled? Nah! I actually listen to my advisors! :D

As for a sea-borne invasion, it would most probably have to occur in the baluchistan-sustan province right? as to not get bottlenecked into the straight of Hormuz, where AFAIK Iran concnetrates most of its sea defenses.

Suppose the main port to go for would be Chah Bahar. Probably advance both north towards Zahedan and Bandar e Abbas and liberate that port for future supply. That more of a reasonable plan?

Probably the main reason I still want the invasion to come from Iraq is that we can get more Army mechanized action their from the start. If there is something I miss in CMSF is more good Bradley and combined arms campaigns. Plus I think a push through the mountains could give for some very interestes scenarios and maps. Plus again it gives me an excuse to have Marines, British, Germans, Dutch and Canadians on the line for future expansion.

but hey maybe we can fit a southern Iran push (maybe move the 2nd Marine Division and use them?).

Somewhere round that area yes. Altough it wold still be neccessary to take Bandar Abbas quickly. I don;t think using Iraq as a jump off point/staging area would really be feasible for political nd military reasons.

However, even with the Baluchistan plan you would want to get mechanized divisions in fast to support and expand the lodgement area established by the Marines and airborne troops. There would still be a fair bit of rough terrain in the interior of Iran It might be neccessay to destroy any Iranian forces pulling back into the Zagros range. \A MATO contingent can still be used, perhaps a German/British/Dutch/Canadian corps