Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, even If I don´t feel too proud of the modded water, would you like to check it yourselves just in case? I can upload it, but don´t expect it to be the amazing water you can see in other 3D games,ok? Ther mod contains a modified normal map, but I couldn´t add transparency or modify the brightness at all,...The shaders contain info (egyptian hieroglyphic to me) that I suspect proves that the water color and contrast is related to mud color and the time of the day. Philip Culliton coded it, so he is the man to be asked for changes :) I just did what a newbie would do by trial and error (hours of errors actually...) method ;) . If you like it, I would be more than satisfied.

So, even If I don´t feel too proud of the modded water, would you like to check it yourselves just in case? I can upload it, but don´t expect it to be the amazing water you can see in other 3D games,ok? Ther mod contains a modified normal map, but I couldn´t add transparency or modify the brightness at all,...The shaders contain info (egyptian hieroglyphic to me) that I suspect proves that the water color and contrast is related to mud color and the time of the day. Philip Culliton coded it, so he is the man to be asked for changes :) I just did what a newbie would do by trial and error (hours of errors actually...) method ;) . If you like it, I would be more than satisfied.

Your waffling Fuser :)

Just get the thing up and let your fans decide. Obviously, my pitchfork and flaming torch is at the ready!

I think the water is an improvement! Great job. Was it difficult? I am thinking of tweaking my copy of your water slightly - a little bit darker and slightly more greenish. More like I imagine/expect flooded fields or rivers to look like, rather than big lakes or the sea. But, it is good also as it is. Thanks!

Aris, your water is indeed a very big improvement over vanilla so I'm sticking with it. Gurra's idea looks tempting to so Gurra if you manage to tweak your water then do please upload it so that we can check it out.

So the speed of water movement can't be changed? Should be slower by 70% since we mainly speak about rivers on predominantely flat terrain

I think the water is an improvement! Great job. Was it difficult? I am thinking of tweaking my copy of your water slightly - a little bit darker and slightly more greenish. More like I imagine/expect flooded fields or rivers to look like, rather than big lakes or the sea. But, it is good also as it is. Thanks!

Easy? Not for me. Give it a try, I believe tweaking it may give surprising results. Good luck!

Hehe.

Easy? Not for me. Give it a try, I believe tweaking it may give surprising results. Good luck!

Ok. I get it. Let´s see :D

Sure, I can upload a successful version, provided Aris don´t mind. It´s his fine work, so I would only do that with his blessings. Considering his answer though, you guys may have to ask him politely for any tweaking.

Let´s not be hasty....been doing trial and error in photoshop for a couple of hours to no avail. The best I achieved was a sligthly darker monochrome-ish appearance. Failed to get any greenish hues in there. And on a second thought, I rather put the time into playing than pursue this. So Aris, if you fancy rising to the challenge, please do so. Otherwise I´d say your mod is fine as it is.

CM modding used to be so much simpler - General Auchinleck.

If you tried to modify the BMP file, you won´t get any greenish color at all. The BMP it´s in charge of the riverbed not water texture itself, and it serves a base for the normal map (wave form). The only way to modify color was to modify the shader itself. I don´t think I can get a greenish color easily at all. This is a tough one as you said.

Yep, you are right. The bmp is uninteresting for this. I tried the other two tga´s. One seems to be representing lightning patterns on the surface, the other one, well, is that the shader? Or vice versa? However, it does not work to just make it 'greener'. Based on the results I had, I was thinking maybe getting a yellow tone would get me where I want. But it seemed impossible. Blue or magenta is all succed with. I also tried lower contrasts to get less harsh reflections, but to no avail.

All you can do is modify the "water_simple.FRAG" with the text editor. It looks something like this :) I modified some values to get a muddy color and remove some brightness. I managed to get a dark blue color, a light blue color, remove brightness, but no coloring at all.

void main(void)

{

vec4 sca = vec4(0.001); // * (margin)); // smaller == smoother // was abs(margin)

vec4 sca2 = vec4(0.12); // * (margin)); // smaller == smoother, larger == noisier // was abs(margin)

vec4 tscale = vec4(100.0, 100.0, 35.0, -1.0);

const vec4 two = vec4(2.0, 2.0, 2.0, 1.0);

const vec4 mone = vec4(-1.0, -1.0, -1.0, 1.0);

const vec4 ofive = vec4(0.5,0.5,0.5,1.0);

float exponent = specular_exponent;

vec4 lightTS = normalize(water_lightpos);

vec4 viewt = normalize(water_viewts);

vec4 disdis = texture2D(water_dudvmap, vec2(water_time1 * tscale)); // * 0.001)); //tscale)); // this is the du/dv of the normal

disdis = normalize(disdis);

vec4 dist = texture2D(water_dudvmap, vec2((water_time0) + disdis*sca2));

vec4 fdist = dist;

fdist = fdist * two + mone;

fdist = normalize(fdist);

fdist *= sca;

vec4 nmap2 = texture2D(water_normalmap, vec2((water_time2) * (tscale * ofive)));

nmap2 = (nmap2-ofive) * two;

nmap2 = normalize(nmap2);

vec4 nmap = texture2D(water_normalmap, vec2((water_time2) * tscale));

nmap = (nmap-ofive) * two;

vec4 vNorm = nmap;

vNorm = mix(vNorm, disdis, 0.8); //6);

vNorm = mix(vNorm, fdist, 0.8);

vNorm = mix(vNorm, nmap2, 0.4); //6);

vNorm.z *= 1.2;

vNorm = normalize(vNorm); //vNorm);

//calculate specular highlight

vec4 vRef = normalize(reflect(-lightTS, vNorm));

float stemp =max(0.0, dot(viewt, vRef) );

stemp = pow(stemp, exponent);

stemp *= (mix(-0.5, 1.0, overcast_fraction));

vec4 specular = vec4(stemp);

It´s OLD chinese to me. Modifying the color of the Targas won't lead you anywhere, as they are not textures themselves, even if they are multicoloured hehe. VERY VERY difficult if you don't understand GLSL language, as I suspect some commands would have to be added to modify the color or add transparency.

The commands in bold are the ones which you may try to alter, specially the "VNorm.z*=1.2" , make smalll changes though or your water may look as the one from anothe rplanet (is there water in another planet?), something like .08, 1.0 or 1.4....