Beer....damn you Steve!

------Steve said-----

OK, now I have to break out one of my beer books (did I mention I used to brew )

A traditional "dunkel" beer is just a dark bodied lager. Probably peaks about 5%, which is about 1% higher than a normal Continental styled lager. What you had was more likely a Belgian "Tripel", which is about 6%-7% by volume (or 12%-13% proof). There are very few beers stronger that still taste good, Maibocks being one of my favorites. When I lived in London I once had a Tennents Special Export that was 11.5%, but the taste was horrible. Turns out only the "bums" drink the stuff with any frequency. Go figure

-------------------------

You just had to get on talking about Beer didn't you? I'll agree with you that Tripels are generally around 6-7% abv; I've had Westmalle, Westvletern (sp?), St. Sixtus and scores of others. The Belgian beers are usually an acquired taste because of the high percentage of phenolics found in them; quite often giving rise to very strong tastes and flavours.

Very few beers stringer that still taste good? Well, here's a partial list smile.gif

Doppelbocks; approx 7.6% abv. Very rich and carmelly. Sometimes earthy in taste/aroma. High in crystal malts. True doppelbocks are decoction mashed, extracting high amounts of melanoidins. Good examples are Paulaner Salvator, Celebrator and yes Sam Adams.

Barleywines; these range all over the place from 8% abv (Young's Old Nick) to 17.5% abv (SA Triplebock). These are true beers to the extent that they utilize lager and ale yeast, but they approach and surpass the strengths of even fortified desert wines. Good examples are Thomas Hardy's, Olde Deuteronomy, Old Millenium, Lee's Harvest Ale, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Rogue Old Crustacean, Bridgeport Old Knucklehead.

Imperial Stouts

Adambiers

Imperial Porters

And others. But damn you, I do NOT want to talk about beer, at least not when my beer run is over 4 weeks away.

You like beer eh? Cool. Make your own beer? Even better.

Have you ever tried a Lambic or Berliner Weiss? Or an IPA?

Aghh....stop me now.

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe, a little off topic, but what the heck smile.gif Actually, I'm thinking of making a new forum for general chatter, like about other wargames, general AI discussions, beer! etc.

>Have you ever tried a Lambic or Berliner Weiss? Or an IPA?

All of the above and just about anything else out there that you can think of smile.gif I love the Trappist ales very much, including lambic. Chimay and Duvel are all time favorites.

When I traveled across Europe I tried anything and everything I could get my hands on. Even kept a journal and a couple of bottles for my collection (must have damned near 200 bottles by now!). Most unusual I had while in Europe was the Rauchbier, which tastes like smoked gouda cheese. Most famous were Budvar Budweiser and Pilsner Urquell while in Czechoslovakia. Strangest beer was a little tiny crisp lager thing I had in Morocco. Most fun was a Croatian beer Niksicko Pivo (short 2 accent marks), which involved some diving in the Adriatic (loooong story). And because I only drink one or two at a time, I can rember all of 'em too smile.gif Well, except that memory of a 2nd liter of dunkel beir I had one warm evening is a little fuzzy!

I'd rather have one good beer than a 6 pack of normal stuff. Just like I would rather have one good wargame than 6 Big Game Hunter games. HEY!! Waddaya know, I got us back on topic smile.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 02-25-99).]

"Hey what do you know I got us back on topic".

Aye, ye did so smoothly and sweetly (oops OT again ;) ).

P.s. I think the general chitchat forum is a good idea. Things will get downright social over the coming months as we wait for CM.

P.p.s. I hope the others there don't share your love of beer. ;)

Well, to make it short: I don't like beer so much. More of a wine type... Very unusual for a German, but hey, I am not born here...

But say, do you know "Kölsch"? It's the local Cologne beer. Some say it tastes like p%§$ because it is very clear (still strong when compared with US beers, though), especially those people that like "Alt" (I believe DAB is Alt), a darker beer which comes more from the north (if I remember right). Then, of course, we also have Pils, but that's been copied from the Czechs...

After all this beer I have a bad taste in my mouth...hmmm, anybody here likes a good Cabernet? smile.gif